Sign in to follow this  

02 520 exc Oil Leak

I have a 02 520exc and it is leaking oil out of the small hole next to the water pump on the left side of the head. whats the deal? Untitled.png

This is not actual photo just using it for a referance.

check the inside Water pump seal ring or o'ring...you must change them

I recomend you to change both, in-outside, gasket and the gasket carrier.

be careful not damage the new seals when mounting. (do not force them)

check this:

:smashpc:

On the '02 I think the cap has to be removed to change out the 'o' rings and seals. If you contact Travis at Thumper racing, he sells a mod so you can do the change out through the impeller cover like the newer models.

Good news/bad news

Good news is you now know what is wrong. As stated there are two double lipped seals in an aluminum carrier behind the water pump

Not too big of a deal.

Order both seals and the carrier and see if your dealer will press them in before he sends them to you (or order from Travis at Thumper Racing)

Now the bad news, because this is an early RFS, you can't leave the "top" of the motor together to get this off. AND you have to split the cam chain.

PITA, w/o the correct tools. KTM also uses anerobic gasket sealer on the rocker cover, Loctite 518 is the preferred goo. Mcmaster-carr carries it.

WHen you do this, upgrade to the '03+ unit, it can be removed/replaced w/o popping the cover off.

Take a look behind the water pump cover and impeller first because it might be upgraded already. You can see all that in the video, if the gasket carrier has the two treaded holes then it's a piece of cake, just use screws or pliers to pull it off. If it doesn't have, then the rocker cover must come off.