Sign in to follow this  

running a different front wheel

I have an extra front wheel from my XR350 that I'd like to use on my 650L but the axle is smaller on the older bike. Can I change bearings to fit the 650L axle?

If so anyone know the specs?

Thanks! :smashpc:

I think that the answer is yes. Your 650L uses 6003 bearings that are 17x35x10. I'm pretty sure that the 350 has 6202 bearings that are 15x35x11. You should be able to put the 6003's in the 350 wheel and it will fit.

There is one thing though. You have to consider the width. Those bearings are 1mm different in thickness and the hubs might be somewhat different. It might need a custom spacer.

The brake disc is another problem. I think that the 650 unit is larger in diameter. Then there is that spacer issue. The disc needs to be in the right place so it fits in the caliper correctly.

Bearings are cheap so it's not too expensive to do some test fitting and see where you need to go to get it working.

I think that the answer is yes. Your 650L uses 6003 bearings that are 17x35x10. I'm pretty sure that the 350 has 6202 bearings that are 15x35x11. You should be able to put the 6003's in the 350 wheel and it will fit.

There is one thing though. You have to consider the width. Those bearings are 1mm different in thickness and the hubs might be somewhat different. It might need a custom spacer.

The brake disc is another problem. I think that the 650 unit is larger in diameter. Then there is that spacer issue. The disc needs to be in the right place so it fits in the caliper correctly.

Bearings are cheap so it's not too expensive to do some test fitting and see where you need to go to get it working.

\

Thanks! Given how rare (and expensive) 650L wheels are, it would be great to be able to use this. If I get it done, I can turn my L back to dual sport to sell easier, and sell off the motard wheels separately. :smashpc:

\

Thanks! Given how rare (and expensive) 650L wheels are, it would be great to be able to use this. If I get it done, I can turn my L back to dual sport to sell easier, and sell off the motard wheels separately. :smashpc:

If you have a early 15mm set of XR forks and front wheel they will fit and the wheel will be centered. Then you can sell your forks seperate too. :busted:

Since my XR650L is a project right now I used the XRL forks in '85 XR600R triple crown that is on my XR250R and slide my '85 XR600R forks into the L to keep it moveable. Both wheels are properly centered.

The stock XR600/650 spring rate is correct to haul me around on my XR250R... 🤣

If you have an early drum brake swingarm and rear wheel you could swap out the L parts. Then you could sell the wheel, rear brake and swingarm seperate too... 🤣 All you need is to convert the pedal over for drum brakes.....

👍

If you have a early 15mm set of XR forks and front wheel they will fit and the wheel will be centered. Then you can sell your forks seperate too. 👍

Since my XR650L is a project right now I used the XRL forks in '85 XR600R triple crown that is on my XR250R and slide my '85 XR600R forks into the L to keep it moveable. Both wheels are properly centered.

The stock XR600/650 spring rate is correct to haul me around on my XR250R... :busted:

If you have an early drum brake swingarm and rear wheel you could swap out the L parts. Then you could sell the wheel, rear brake and swingarm seperate too... 🤣 All you need is to convert the pedal over for drum brakes.....

:smashpc:

Why on earth would you want to convert a disk brake setup back to drum??

Why on earth would you want to convert a disk brake setup back to drum??

I'm not saying I would.... 😛 Just saying you could.... 🤣

Maybe you are selling the L and would like a rear disc on your XR350R.... :smashpc: Just a thought.... :busted:

Your XR350R with the taller 18" wheel, disc brake and the stock XR650L's shorter link(raises the rear about 3/8 to 1/2") it would make an even better woods bike. 🤣

It would work great with the L's forks on it too. Just saying ya know.... 🤣

👍

Edited by TNTsXLR

Hi MB

Do you know of any companies making supermoto fenders?

Thanks

Warren in Hawaii

Acerbis makes a Very nice one. Vented, fits well,etc.

6fiddy003.jpg

Also used 1 off Kaw KLX?250SM that I liked a lot.

(just before I got the 17" front wheel, so it looks a bit dorky here)

new003.jpg

If you have a early 15mm set of XR forks and front wheel they will fit and the wheel will be centered. Then you can sell your forks seperate too. :busted:

👍

I might just use this idea as the 350 forks got new seals/oil last year right before I swapped them out for the CR fork, and are sprung heavier while the stock L forks are shot and need rebuilt. hmmmmmmmmm :smashpc: