Sign in to follow this  

bike quit, gold filings in motor/tranny 2010 crf

so today i was riding my 2010 crf250 then i heard a metal on metal clicking kinda noise, then it just quit. pulled clutch cover, everythings good. pulled stator cover, gold metal filings everywhere. stator is fine which is where i thought the gold was from but i guess not, so i guess i got to split the cases and check it out now......yay. :smashpc: but what could be the other gold part within this motor?? is there a gold gear inside or what? i wonder what has shreddded inside????

Curious what you find, how many hrs on it, any mods to the engine

Chet

The only gold colored shavings that I can think of would be from the crankshaft counterweights (copper/bronze) or from the connecting rod top end bronze bushing.

:smashpc::thinking:👍

Either way, doesn't sound good.

mine did the same thing but the nose came back once i split it. it was the thrust washers ether side of the rod and the big end bearing had all but gone. the bike was at 150 hours so not a bad run before it let go right at the end of the vid you can here it let go

+1 on the crank, con rod bearing/thrust washers on the crank for sure. use a manual to tear it down, and take pictures as you go to reference when you put it back together.

just curious but what does it mean if your oil smells like gas? but yeah i had gold shavings in mine and it wont start but when it died it was hard to turn over and i was told crank bearings

Fuel in the oil means that if it's EFI, the injector is leaking when the bike is shut off and the fuel is going into the cylinder and leaking past the rings contaminating the oil. If it has a carb, the float isn't shutting off the fuel through the needle and seat. It's somewhat common on the 2010 EFI CRF250.