Sign in to follow this  

Year model question

Hey guys i was wondering how to find out what year model a bike is from the vin if possible? or what other ways can i find out, i got a steal on a supposedly 2009 but it has the silver forks so i wanna find out. Pics would be appreciated! Thanks! :smashpc:

Do you have a picture of the bike? Post it if so. There are many differences between the 08 and 09 but not so obvious if you are new to the KX. The 08 engine covers (Clutch, ignition, head, and wheel hubs) are brown as opposed to black in 2009. The plastics are completely different, just do a search on google images and pay attention to radiator shrouds and rear number plates. If the forks lowers are silver, then they are not original to the 09 as you stated. I'm not sure about the vin.

Found out its an 09 with 08 450 forks thanks guys!

The 08 450 had black legs too. Unless the fork was not from a KX 450 either. :smashpc:

That wouldn't be an easy swap as the 450 has KYB and the 250 has showa. So probably would have had to somehow switch the entire front end (clamps, brakes, everything) which is highly unlikely. Not sure of the size but I guess they could have machined the triple clamps to work as well, again highly unlikely though.

Brakes and wheels fit from 250 to 450.

But I´m not entirely sure if the clamps need a bigger diameter, it´s only a 1mm difference on the lower legs.

My thought was that something is fishy. If they put any other fork on the 250 it would probably work less good. A 450 fork is not better just because it´s from a 450.

And if replaced with a non coated fork it´s also less worth moneywise.

I would stay away from buying such a bike unless the seller had a very clear explanation, and could verify the new setup being just as good as the fork he "stole" from this bike.