Sign in to follow this  

09 CRF250R engine in a 04 frame?

Well I recently purchased a used 04 CRF250R, and the person who sold it to much screwed me over big time. First ride on it a bearing on the far left engine case took a shit and tore through everything. So its going to cost me 2k in parts just for the lower half of the engine... I have no clue what the top end is even like, but it probably will need some work too. Anyways I was wondering if an 09 engine will fit, because I can buy a brand new one on servicehonda.com for 2650.. the whole engine. which seems like it might be cheaper and easier than fixing the 04 as long as it fits in the frame... well does it? 👍:busted::smashpc:

2004 & 05 CRF250 frames were different than the 2006-09, and the crank cases were also changed in 2006. So it will take some significant modifications to make a newer engine work in the older frame.

You might also want to give Service Honda a call about the real availability of 2009 complete motors... They were out of 2009 CRF250R motors about 3 months ago and were not expecting any more.

The 09 motor will bolt into your 04 frame with no mods. The changes on the chassis after 06 were to the subframe and the components that bolt to the subframe, main frames and motors interchange from 04-09.

The 09 motor will bolt into your 04 frame with no mods. The changes on the chassis after 06 were to the subframe and the components that bolt to the subframe, main frames and motors interchange from 04-09.

:smashpc:

Thanks for the clarification... I was basing my comments from reviewing the primary part numbers for the 2004-2005 and 2006-2009 frames from Honda's microfiche which are 50100 vs. 50010.

So you're sure the whole engine will fit? I'm very skeptical about it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 09 F.I if it would that even work with my carb?

And yeah i was going to call them in the morning.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 09 F.I .

Only 09 450 is EFI, 2010 for the 250.

Put the 09 engine in it and call it a day. Easy swap. The 04/05 carb is a good choice to use on it also. If you like a little extra bottom, that's the carb to use. Smaller 37mm 04 carb compared to the 06-09 40mm carb which has always been speculated to be a bit too big. If the 09 engine comes complete with the carb, you'll be able to swap them and notice the difference. Piecing the 04 engine back together is pot luck anyways unless you replace everything except the cases. Go for the 09, much better choice!

Well I called servicehonda and they currently do not have any engines in. How do you guys feel about engines from ebay?

If you are willing to spend over 2600 on a new motor why not just go buy another bike that is newer for the sAme price as the engine?

When the motor went south on my '04 CRF250, I made some changes. :smashpc:

I know I'm kinda trollin' here, but my whole conversion cost about a quarter of what one of those Toyko Mods engines cost.

007law.jpg

No offence ment, just another direction to take as an option....

When the motor went south on my '04 CRF250, I made some changes. :ride:

I know I'm kinda trollin' here, but my whole conversion cost about a quarter of what one of those Toyko Mods engines cost.

007law.jpg

No offence ment, just another direction to take as an option....

So you made it a smoker? hahaha I'm on this bike because I'm trying to get away from 2 strokes.. way to much for me to handle on a track, plus i get put with the big noisy 450s which is no fun, (Currently on a yz250, which is up for sale :worthy: ) I can hold my own against them its just I noticed some of those guys get off the track without even breaking a sweat, and I'm over here with forearms like the hulk and covered from head to toe in sweat.. I noticed this isn't the case on my crf though. Not saying 2 strokes aren't great bikes, I love it on the trails and when I'm just messing around.

I don't know how much that pile of parts is actually worth, otherwise my life would be complete with an 2010+ 👍

Well I called servicehonda and they currently do not have any engines in. How do you guys feel about engines from ebay?

From some experience I got so far, basically my faith in your average dirt bike owner to keep shit together is completely gone. I even had a couple bikes with very low, single digit hours use and the owners managed to mess up just about everything they came in contact with while trying to "improve" the bike. So at this point I'd say it's a big gamble to get anything unless 1. it looks brand new, or 2. you plan to do a full rebuild with possibly replacing just about everything in there.

This is good logic. Even if it looks new, you really can't trust it. Until it comes apart and you really see what's in there, you just don't know. Pot luck!

Your better of with just parting out the entire bike and then buying a newer one... You can get a nicely used 2007-08 for about $2600. Just learn from your mistake and go over it with a fine tooth come before you buy. You need to be patient and look around and find the right biker and seller that you know took good care of it. You can usually tell by the oil, filter, if they have their valve clearances written down, etc.. You would be surprised how many people dont bother chanign the oil and filter before they sell..