Sign in to follow this  

04 cr250 Jetting prob?

ok well the weather has been getting a little cooler, about low 70's. its an 04 cr250 v force 3's, fmf gnarly pipe, fmf shorty silencer. my bike when going into a corner and the clutch is pulled it the bike kinda goes "gung, gung, gung gung" (sorry thats how i spell the described sound) while the rpms drop and if i run the bike up then pull in the clutch it will do the described noise above a little while revving down and will sit at a somewhat high idle for a second before finally running down to a normal idle then dies. (the bike wont idle very long on its own) i run a 410 main, 32.5 pilot, needle in clip 2, and air screw 1.5 turn out 32:1. does this in any way describe a jetting problem?

the bike doesnt seem to have a very noticeable bog, and seems to run pretty well accept for this problem, theres no major spooge really on the pipe either, but i do have a friend who is pretty knowledgeable about bikes and he says it seems to be smoking a little more than it should. any suggestions?

Try a 35 pilot, if that doesn't work try the needle in the 3rd clip with either the 32.5 or 35. If you do change the pilot jet then adjust the air screw to suit. Cooler air is denser and leans out jetting.

Like dmcca sez, a bigger pilot. 32-1 oil is pretty rich. Three ounces per gallon, or 42.6 to 1, is a reliable mix.

Is this a new problem?

No not really a new problem. i havent had the bike that long but i have never really been too happy with the jetting regardless. Ill look into a 35 pilot. DO you think i could try the needle in the 3rd position first before buying a new pilot?

I would change one thing at a time, so you can positively identify which change gave you the result you are after.

No not really a new problem. i havent had the bike that long but i have never really been too happy with the jetting regardless. Ill look into a 35 pilot. DO you think i could try the needle in the 3rd position first before buying a new pilot?

You could always try raising the needle by moving the clip to the third position from the top first. But if its going to be getting much colder and you are planning on riding you will probably need the 35 pilot. Doing both of these things will make it run richer. Like Leardriver said do one at a time.

ok, i will try the needle first and see what happens. I will also look into the 35 pilot as well b/c it will be getting colder and i do ride in cold weather. Do yall think the 410 main will be sufficient into the winter or would going to a 420 be better?

edit: also if i do end up going with the 35 pilot, would i need to put the needle back down to the second position?

another slight problem i noticed is if i ride the bike around in low rpms, just like idling around then try and take off it bogs for a second almost like it is building up while idling..is that just b/c its a 2-stroke or do i need to do something with the air/idle screws?