Sign in to follow this  

New and looking to motard

Hey all in new and I'm looking to motard my 01 klx 300. I live in Washington state and in January I can plate my bike. I'm wondering if the klx 250sf would bolt on or if the drz 400sm rims would work. Any help or input would be much appreciated.

Wow this is a big help thanks guys! So much for getting help on this forum!!!

There are aftermarket wheel and rotor kits. These kits are bike specific, but to the tune of about $600... per wheel. Then again, you'd be getting everything you need, including brakes. Like I said, though, kits are bike specific. Has to do with clearances and whatnot. I have not heard of anyone just swapping wheels with another motard, except in the case of DRZ400s owners swapping with sm, and KLX250s owners swapping with sf. I know the KLX250 is the replacement model for the old KLX300, but am not sure if forks, geometry, etc. is different enough to make a straight swap impossible or very difficult.

Thanks for your help. I will just have to find someone with a SF and give it a try.

I built SM wheels for my first KLX300 back in 2006, when I apparently had money to burn. Just for fun, I looked up what everything cost:

Hubs: sourced from a blown engine donor bike I bought for $500 total.

Rims: Ebay $255

Buchanan for wheel assembly: $402 plus $36 shipping

Front SM fender: $38

Tires: $299

EBC 320mm front disc kit: $211

So over $1200 to build my own, and I already had hubs. I don't know if KLX250 wheels will fit directly, but buying them from a dealer isn't going to be cheap either.

If you are mainly going to tear around paved mountain roads, a set of Avon street tires will serve you well. And you can buy a playbike to take to a supermoto track with the money you'll save.

Man do I miss the 2006 economy though.