Sign in to follow this  

WR450F Or WR250F

Hey,

I'm having trouble choosing what would be the best bike for me.

I'm a 16 year old 205 lb 6'2'' guy. I am selling my Yamaha YZ125 in replace of one of these two bikes. The whole reason I am selling the YZ is because it didn't have enough low end power to crawl up the hill. So, what I'm thinking is that a 250 four stroke would be the same power as a yz 125 so that would put me right back where I started? Should I move up to a 450f or stick to a 250f?

Also, not sure if this helps. I would call my self an intermediate rider. This bike is going to be for trail use only.

All help will be appreciated, thank you.

125 MX bikes are known for their lack of low end power. You are incorrect in thinking a 250F "would be the same power" as your YZ125. The 250F would have much more low end, the power would be much more linear (less snappy), but it would be much heavier than your 125. The 250Fs are high maintenance engines and expensive to maintain. The 450Fs are cheaper to maintain on average than the 250Fs, but that is a big jump...from a YZ125 to a WR450. I own a WR426 with a few mods and the bike is a powerhouse compared to a 125. You might try looking at other options for trail use...maybe a Kawasaki KDX200/220 or KTM 200/250EXC. Those are all 2 strokes, which I prefer...some dont. What is your budget?..that is key to answering your question. Are you stuck on a 4t?

Why not get an enduro 2 stroke? I am also 16 and I am 6' tall. I ride bought a 2001 EXC 300 and it is an awesome bike. 225 pounds, 55 hp, and plenty of low end torque. The enduro 4 strokes are very heavy and they cannot match the power weight of the 2 strokes.

Some good used offroad 2 strokes would be the KTM EXC or MXC/XC 200/250/300 and the Kawasaki KDX 200/220. The KTMs are better, more modern bikes then the KDXs. So if you're not on a small budget, the KTMs would be the way to go (any size will be a big upgrade) or if you're on a budget, the KDX200 is a nice option. As a reference, I bought my 2001 EXC300 for 1k (had tons of offroad armor stuff) and put about $200 into it (brake pads, carb parts, air filter, etc). So for $1,200 I have a very capable woods bike.

55HP is a bit much for a KTM300.

Have you tried getting up good momentum at base of hill and then slipping clutch to modulate power uphill? That said, 250Fs get amazing traction.

55HP is a bit much for a KTM300.

Have you tried getting up good momentum at base of hill and then slipping clutch to modulate power uphill? That said, 250Fs get amazing traction.

Mine has some motor work but nothing crazy. Maybe about 50?

Edited by KJ55

You will be fine on a 250f which have more power than most trail riders can use,and it will tractor up hills better than a 2stroke.If you are buing used yamaha is your best bet from what I have heard and personally experienced.Good luck