Sign in to follow this  

Bike bogs down and speedo issues

Took the bike out for a ride this long weekend and started running into issues! Now bare with me here as I am still new to 4 strokes.

So for some reason my bike took a bit to start with the electric start, after letting it for idle for 5 or so minutes I jumped on rode off, when I gave it a bit of gas it bogged down for a few seconds. About 5 minutes of riding the bike was sweet and didn't do it for a while. However when on the trails I would go to give it a bit of gas to get the front wheel over a puddle and it would bog down again (getting me very wet!!). On top of this my bike was still a bit difficult to start now and then, just wanted to turn the engine but not start it.

Here is a pre-existing issue I have, the trip computer on the bike turns itself on and off, the tacho is all over the place, so is the speed, the blinkers and horn run through it so they only work when its working. I was going to get rid of it and replace it with a trail tech vapor, the only issue again is the blinkers and horn run through the old computer. Anyway around this?

My bike is an 07 CRF450X. No mods have been done, the previous owner removed the baffle but pretty sure he didnt change the jetting. I have a Lexx pipe and new jets to go in as well as the air box mod.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Took the bike out for a ride this long weekend and started running into issues! Now bare with me here as I am still new to 4 strokes.

So for some reason my bike took a bit to start with the electric start, after letting it for idle for 5 or so minutes I jumped on rode off, when I gave it a bit of gas it bogged down for a few seconds. About 5 minutes of riding the bike was sweet and didn't do it for a while. However when on the trails I would go to give it a bit of gas to get the front wheel over a puddle and it would bog down again (getting me very wet!!). On top of this my bike was still a bit difficult to start now and then, just wanted to turn the engine but not start it.

Here is a pre-existing issue I have, the trip computer on the bike turns itself on and off, the tacho is all over the place, so is the speed, the blinkers and horn run through it so they only work when its working. I was going to get rid of it and replace it with a trail tech vapor, the only issue again is the blinkers and horn run through the old computer. Anyway around this?

My bike is an 07 CRF450X. No mods have been done, the previous owner removed the baffle but pretty sure he didnt change the jetting. I have a Lexx pipe and new jets to go in as well as the air box mod.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

If you have electrical problems, you need to inspect your electrical system. It may be related to your running issues:

-battery connections

-harness connections

-plug

-saftey lockout on the clutch lever

-kill button.

Read the stickies at the top of the forum as you need to be primed for what is needed on this bike to make it run well and reliably.

I don't seem to be having electrical issues throughout the bike, just the speedo, which is stupid having indicators and horn run through that unit. Electric start works fine, head light works fine, tail light and stop lamp all work fine. You mentioned the safety cut off switch, sometimes I pull my clutch in and the speedo will turn on. I sprayed contact cleaner on all the connections and no pins seemed to be corroded, I also changed the fuse just in case.

Also is there a guide on here on how to change piston rings?

When my bike became hard to start it was time to adjust the valves. If its not a electrical issue try this. You should check them anyways.

Why do you think you need to change the rings?

Do a complete top end everytime you need to drop in new valves.

Well it was blowing smoke yesterday but when I took it out today it stopped. Fell off today and I have bent something! Handle bars look straight, looks as though its the bar mounts. I sick of this luck

Just a quick update.

I installed new handle bar clamps but it still isnt straight. The bars LOOK straight, but wondering if anything on the triple clamp could have moved?

Also after installing the new clamps i took it on the road to test it, I was wearing shorts and noticed I was getting electric shocks!! Why is this happening?

Really need your help guys

Just a quick update.

I installed new handle bar clamps but it still isnt straight. The bars LOOK straight, but wondering if anything on the triple clamp could have moved?

Also after installing the new clamps i took it on the road to test it, I was wearing shorts and noticed I was getting electric shocks!! Why is this happening?

Read the previous posts. Even though you say you are not having electrical problems, you clearly are.

Inspect the entire harness for rub points and bad connections, especially behind the number plate. You probably have rubbed through the insulation somewhere.

Took the bike COMPLETELY apart today and could not find ANYTHING. I cleaned every connection with contact cleaner, took the ground points off, sanded them and put them back together. Connectors for the ignition were a bit iffy so I cut them and put new ones on.

However, the tail lights and blinkers were all disconnected and the previous owner had no capped the wires, could this be a problem?

loose wires can cause all kinds of electrical faults whey contact metal or other loose wires which could be even worse

Just a quick update.

Loosen your triple clamps all at once, I bet your forks twisted in your clamps. By loosening and retightening (make sure you torque them properly 16 ft lbs top and 15ft lbs bottom) they will straighten up.