Sign in to follow this  

194lb rider looking for suspension help

I'm trying to get my suspension sorted out. My bike has been re valved by pro action and has 5.8 factory connection rear spring and .50 fork springs. The bike was setup for a 230 lb rider, the previous owner, but with my weight the forks are too stiff. The rear feels fine. I have the stock fork springs but I'm sure they are too soft. Would dropping to a .49 spring be noticeable or should I go softer yet like .48. The rear feels fine and I know from talking to the guy at pro action that did the suspension that the valving should be fine. He also said that if I soften the fork springs I should also soften the spring but like I said it feels good and is perfectly within specs as far as race sag, Unloaded and static measurements.

My main riding is fast desert with occasional hare scrambles and working towards Vegas to Reno next year.

Any input would be great. Thanks

I'm trying to get my suspension sorted out. My bike has been re valved by pro action and has 5.8 factory connection rear spring and .50 fork springs. The bike was setup for a 230 lb rider, the previous owner, but with my weight the forks are too stiff. The rear feels fine. I have the stock fork springs but I'm sure they are too soft. Would dropping to a .49 spring be noticeable or should I go softer yet like .48. The rear feels fine and I know from talking to the guy at pro action that did the suspension that the valving should be fine. He also said that if I soften the fork springs I should also soften the spring but like I said it feels good and is perfectly within specs as far as race sag, Unloaded and static measurements.

My main riding is fast desert with occasional hare scrambles and working towards Vegas to Reno next year.

Any input would be great. Thanks

Not sure I know what you mean by 'too stiff'. How stiff they are sitting still has no relation to how they feel when riding. Are you saying the action of the fork has too much damping, in both directions? Or are you saying there is too much resistance to movement (stiction). Have you reduced the rebound settin on the fork yet?

The bike is too stiff while riding. It doesn't feel balanced. Ive backed the compression clickers out almost all the way. They are at one click and the rebound is at four clicks. The bike feels great on rocks and small hits but on larger stuff i'm not using all the travel and thats where it feels stiff. The Racetech spring calculator puts my weight with the springs i'm running but it always seems racetech is always a bit higher spring rate on every bike.

I guess i'm not sure also how rebound would affect the stiff feeling.

Thanks

The bike is too stiff while riding. It doesn't feel balanced. Ive backed the compression clickers out almost all the way. They are at one click and the rebound is at four clicks. The bike feels great on rocks and small hits but on larger stuff i'm not using all the travel and thats where it feels stiff. The Racetech spring calculator puts my weight with the springs i'm running but it always seems racetech is always a bit higher spring rate on every bike.

I guess i'm not sure also how rebound would affect the stiff feeling.

Thanks

So we are on the same page, typically clicker settings are described as 'clicks out from full clockwise'. If you are saying that your forks are too stiff with the compression clickers almost to full counter clockwise, you should check:

Fork / wheel alignment: your forks should be gooey soft at that setting, but perhaps your forks are binding, because the legs are not parallel, and the axle clamps are holding them that way.

Travel: put a zip tie on your fork tube and ride over some g-outs at a speed where you don't fly off the seat. You should be using very little travel. If you are using most of your travel, your forks are TOO SOFT and your are running too low, into the firm part of the stroke, making it feel hard. This is the most common issue with a complaint of 'too harsh forks'. Re-valving the bottom and changing themid valve stack to put the fork to ride higher in the stroke, and changing the pressure springs to a lighter spring would help immensely. Changing the pressure spring helps in any case.

Am i correct in thinking that the pressure springs are for more of the slow speed or just quick small movements in the forks? Because the bike feels awesome over small 1' and less whoops and hits and great over rocks. Maybe its fine. I mean i'm going as fast as i feel comfortable right now but i would like to step it up a bit. Next time i'm out ill give the zip tie a try and see just how much im using.

While the springs that you have will be ok, something around a 5.6 or 5.7 for the shock and around .48 for the forks is a little more ideal IMO (that is if you are doing trails).

Also, what oil height are you running? And what part of the stroke feels stiff (or what kind of obstacles are you encountering where it feels stiff)?