Sign in to follow this  

Trail riding braking

Good morning all.

I have recently swapped my DRZ for a WR250f and am now starting to push the speed up through the trails.

Unfortunately I don't think my braking techniques are quite up to par with my speed levels.

Therefore is there a guide to braking off road? There has been a couple of times now when I have seemed to have just kept on going through a corner which fortunately hasn't resulted in anything more than a sting from some brambles but obviously this is not something I want to do regularly.

I must be doing something right some of the time though because at other times I do stop quite well.

So any help to get my consistency up would be great.

Thanks

Roscoe

Bristol, UK

It sounds like you need to get better at looking down the trail and seeing what's coming up. If you're blowing a corner and are on the brakes, it's not the brakes fault you didn't slow down enough :smashpc: Or it could be a situation where you freeze up momentarily when you realize you're going too fast, so you miss your braking point. Either situation is cured by more seat time. As you noted, you recently changed bikes, could just be a matter of still needing to get adjusted to the new bike.

Both brakes all the time always. And don't be afraid to lock up the back around sharp corners, you still have tons of control with the rear tire sliding around.

Rosco, tire condition affect braking. So fresh tires help and shorten stopping distance. Part of the issue you could be having is feel thru the peddle and hand lever. Air pressure in your tires can influence that. So with that, my rule of thumb is 12.5psi air pressure front and rear unless running in sharp rocks, then I may increase that slightly. Another tip to help with feel of the rear brake is to change the spring on the peddle to a heavier or stronger spring. That forces you to apply more pressure to the peddle, thus you feel more pressure on your foot thru your boot. I used a door spring from local hardware store and cut it down to length. I was then able to feel when the wheel was about to lock up. After this mod, I was able to drift the rear out under control. So this helped.

As above, 75% of your stopping ability comes from the front wheel. So set up your braking ahead of your turn point. Keep the bike as straight up as possible and apply max pressure at first, then let off and modulate as needed. Watch out and do not lean over as the front can lock up and you will go down. Let off pressure as you lean over to prevent lockup and aid control. Practice on loose surfaces and hard surfaces so you know how the bike will react if you encounter those conditions. Good luck.

I know want to how this goes for you because I remember when I first started to get really fast and get to the next level was when I figured out how to brake right.

I know want to how this goes for you because I remember when I first started to get really fast and get to the next level was when I figured out how to brake right.

I should be out this weekend so will concentrate on braking (I know the perfect trail for it near to me) and will update.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :smashpc: