Sign in to follow this  

reducing fuel consumption on 300

Any idea how to do that on exc 300 2011?

I do 60 miles with a tank of fuel is this normal or not?

how big is that tank? The best thing you can do is to get it jetted right and set the float level a little on the low side.

how big is that tank? The best thing you can do is to get it jetted right and set the float level a little on the low side.

Or just slow down some....thats what I did..:smashpc:

Any idea how to reduce fuel consumpttion on a 2011 exc 300?

That's easy.... just give the bike to me... now you have no fuel consumption worries... :smashpc:

Yup,

I have 2 300's & they both get about 60 miles on the stock tank. 2.9 gallons I think.

The previous owner gave me the IMS bigger tank............ he had it on the shelf. :smashpc:

I've put 2 little pre-mix bottles in my Camelbak just in case I run out. :busted:

I've also ridden with folks that hide gas cans in the bushes on their regular rides! 👍

Depends of course on the type of riding you're doing...My 07 gets 25ish mpg no matter kind of terrain it seems...My 09 gets a little less - I've only ridden that bike a handful of times and have not officially checked it yet...I did put a Clockworks 3.2 (might be 3.3 I forget) tank on it for those rides that I know will be longer than usual..If you're getting 23 - 25 that would be OK from my experience.

I have stock Eu tank wich is 9,5 l (cca 2.3 gal.), so I gues the range is OK than.

I was used to 4t whre I made the same distance with 2/3 of the fuel.

I gues I have to get used to a bigger consumption.

More fun = more fuel :smashpc:

• Like 1

60 miles from a 2.9 sounds about right. If it is bogging or there is excessive oil on the pipe then you could lean it out. The tanks looks bigger then they are on the 300s :smashpc:.

By the way, CROSS1 - I recenty traveled through a sliver of Slovenia on my way to the Roving area of Croatia on a trip that originated in Switzerland...Very nice part of the world you live in, and would like to return to check out more!!:smashpc:

Thanx, glad to hear that someone in US knows about Slovenia (since it is so small and young country).

If you are going to wisit this part of world once again you should take some enduro trips. The terain here is a single trail paradise i thibnk.:smashpc:

Maby I can take you around and show you some hidden jewels.

If it's not in a racing situation, you should be able to get more than 60 miles per tank. Jetting may not be spot on. Float level may be too high.

I have an '08 300XC. In its original form I was getting over 70 miles per tank easily. This with very a pretty quick pace on mostly single track and sand washes. So figure 25+ mpg.

Since modifying my head - make that my bikes head:-) - I get an easy 30+ mpg. I can now get 85-90 miles per tank, no problem. The other day I got an incredible 36 mpg on a 40 mile ride. I measured every ounce of gas after the ride to determine this figure.

So, I think the answer to the mileage question may be to shave the head to increase compression. This mod will provide has all kinds of performance advantages, besides mileage. They are all just about equally dramatic.

Can someone explain to me what is float level and how to adjust it please.

I have a stock jeting in may carb. Maby I should change something, since I am getting some oil out of exhaust.

Can you please advice wich jets should I put in? I have got 3or 4 jats + needels with the bike mabe i should use one of those.

Does it help if i rise needle clip for a groove or two?

I am a novice in a field of jetting so please be patient with my questions :smashpc:

went on a ride the other day, mostly tight singletrack - 65 miles.

Was getting 29 mpg on an 09 300 xcw. Mostly level terrain through trees, some, but not a lot of climbing, elevation 5000 +/- feet.

well if you want better mpg. when your riding back roads, fire roads say your in 4th gear high rev, click up to the top gear and let the rpms go down a little if you want to fel the power click down to 4th and brap!

This helped me adjusting the float level. Make a tool that fits in the drain plug hole with a 6mm clear hose. I used a peice of wooden dowel, drill hole through push 6mm hose in. Bend it around to side of carb, hold carb level, connect carb to fuel supply ,set level by bending the tang that pushes on the float needle. My standard level was too high.

This is where I set the level too.

bild3.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

Edited by graazzy

Now THAT is very clever and that fluid level doesn't lie:thumbsup:

I'm gonna try that just to see where my level is..