Sign in to follow this  

Watered down KX500!!!

Would water in the transmission stop from being able to change gears? I had the drama on my KX500 so I pulled it to pieces and there are no obvious signs of wear or damage. Totally stumped!! The only thing was I think the seals are rubbish as there was coolant floating around when i drained the oil.

Any help would be awesome as I have no idea where to from here :smashpc:

If it is stuck halfway between a shift, pulling the clutch and rocking it back and forth should free it up.

Beyond that, I would try taking the clutch side - side covers off and watch the shift mechanism, to see if it is trying to turn the shift drum when you move the gearshift. It should self-center when you leave the pressure off. It could be bent or stripped from a previous impact, and finally failed. Compare what you see to the online microfiche.

Ah thanks guys. I will look into it. I pulled it apart and split the cases thinking it was something gearbox internal that I could spot straight away. Gives me a good opportunity to redo bearings at least! Will be putting it back together this week!

If it is stuck halfway between a shift, pulling the clutch and rocking it back and forth should free it up.

Beyond that, I would try taking the clutch side - side covers off and watch the shift mechanism, to see if it is trying to turn the shift drum when you move the gearshift. It should self-center when you leave the pressure off. It could be bent or stripped from a previous impact, and finally failed. Compare what you see to the online microfiche.

The shift lever would operate correctly up and down. Just would not select the next gear. I believe it was ok going down the gears but would not change up.

Still sounds like the shift mechanism, not a stuck drum or bad shifting forks, if it shifts down but not up. Could be one of the little springs or something.

Still sounds like the shift mechanism, not a stuck drum or bad shifting forks, if it shifts down but not up. Could be one of the little springs or something.

agreed...

make sure you get that part together correctly, sounds like youve done this before though

Yeah the shifter returned to centre. I select up a gear and it would return to centre but would not change gear. I would be able to change up by holding the clutch in, then holding the shifter up then slowly release the clutch while still holding the shifter up and most times it would change gear but then that technique slowly stopped working.

Every part seems to be in top condition and was comparing them to pictures and tolerances in my Clymers. Will have to wait until the weekend to start putting it back together. I will take some pics of the parts. You guys might be able to see something I dont. :smashpc: