Sign in to follow this  

Work atv on beach.

I work for a survey company and we are currently looking to buy a new ATV for personnel transportation on the beach. (saltwater) We have a big bear 400 and a mule 610, both are die hard machines and well maintained, however 10 years working on the beach as given them both the cancer. Do any manufactures offer a utility machine with an aluminum frame or stainless hardware? The machine is run around 10-20 mph with frequent stops. Climate ranges from freezing to over 100 degrees. Fuel efficiency is important (need to run 8- 12 hrs a day)

At Pismo Dunes, they have rentals and I don't think they keep them more than about 3 years, before they get looking to ratty for the customers.

the polaris sportsman is an extremely reliable and powerful machine. I have had my sportsman 600 for 8 years and only thing i had to replace was belt and tires. But they dont make the 600 anymore so i would get the newer 850 personally but for what you need it for i would get the 550 👍

The best thing you can do for any machine your going to be riding on the beach on a consistant basis is;

Wash it with warm soapy water each day, stand it up on end and make sure your getting every nook and cranny....pay special attention to the crannies.

Get out the grease gun and grease all the zert fittings on a weekly basis....yes, weekly.

After each wash, spray the quad down completely with a light coat of WD40. You can buy it by the gallon, which is waaay cheaper than by the can.

It's not the environment wasting your vehicles away, it's your upkeep. 👍