Sign in to follow this  

1998 Gas Gas 250

whats the low down on these bikes? what is a reasonable price for this bike in good shape? its a 6 speed so is that a MC or EC? any big problems? anything problematic? parts issues? i was looking to trade a bike for an enduro type of bike, like wr, exc, desert bike and this fell in may lap. just looking for info to make an educated decision. thanks

Most likely a EC.

While if it is cherry with low time on the motor it could be a nice GG. Understand IF the motor goes (blows-up) it could cost in excess of $2k to rebuild it.

I tried to replace my motor in a 2005 GG- 250MC, $2500.00 minimum, I parted it out instead.....

Value today for a good running 1998 GG 250EC, maybe $1400.00, maybe...

Sometimes we can find an older bike that fits our needs off-road, but most of the time we make concessions because of a cheaper price and end up getting bit in the ass/wallet…..

Value today for a good running 1998 GG 250EC, maybe $1400.00, maybe...

FYI i paid $1500 for a low mile (800) 02 EC250 with a huge pile of extra parts like a pipe, MX ignition, new pistons, air filters, plastic etc.

Good solid technical woods bikes. Sweet motor. Small framed bikes.

In Germany we have a lack of transmissions for this year of GG. Dont know the situation in the USA.

But its in fact a good woods bike. It got a balance shaft, untypically for a 2 stroke!

FYI i paid $150 for a low mile (800) 02 EC250 with a huge pile of extra parts like a pipe, MX ignition, new pistons, air filters, plastic etc.

Good solid technical woods bikes. Sweet motor. Small framed bikes.

wow...that is cheap..

as stated, the gg used market value is not good.. i have a very nice 01 300 that i have thought of selling now that i have an 07, but there have been 2 in my area for sale, one at 1100, the other at 1700 with zero offers..

the one for 1700 had ohlins forks and is very nice....

i think the 98 should be a balance shaft motor.. they are supposed to be very sweet.. have never actually seen one.

no problems on mine at all..

wow...that is cheap..

Sorry left out a 0 :smashpc:

$1500

Ohlins front and rear...

DSCF9943-L.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry left out a 0 :smashpc:

$1500

thank you... was about to go home and cry on my 01.....lol

ouch 2k for a 2 stroke rebuild! i might just pass on this one than. ive heard nothing but good things about gas gas bikes in the past, but never looked into parts and maintenance before. good to know. the bike was going to come with a desert tank, and 2 different pipes. how are these in the open desert?

ouch 2k for a 2 stroke rebuild!

Something is wrong with that. Piston kits look to be the same as anything and a few gaskets and your done.

where are you finding reasonably priced piston kits. or any other parts for that matter for gas gas? all my regular jap bike sites dont carry gas gas parts.

where are you finding reasonably priced piston kits. or any other parts for that matter for gas gas? all my regular jap bike sites dont carry gas gas parts.

Piles of them on eBay and Wiesco makes some. Here is a complete kit for $128

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wiseco-Piston-Kit-Gas-Gas-EC200-99-04-62-5mm-/330594052793?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf8f0eab9#ht_1018wt_939

$146 for piston, rings, clips and wrist pin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAS-GAS-EC250-MC250-SM250-WISECO-PISTON-STD-BORE-97-07-/290607976777?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a995d149#ht_1535wt_758

Most likely a EC.

While if it is cherry with low time on the motor it could be a nice GG. Understand IF the motor goes (blows-up) it could cost in excess of $2k to rebuild it.

You should understand that $2500 would be if the whole engine shit itself, crank, rod, piston, head, cylinder, trans, maybe cases would all have to have been damaged. Its only that expensive because you have to buy genuine big parts, eg. I don't think there's an aftermarket crank

A top end cost less than $200 for piston kit, gaskets, orings.

Also, lots of stuff crosses over from other brands. CR250 rod, husky sprockets, CR brake pads, CR front brake lever, CR air filters, Yamaha footpegs, KX plastics(on the old bikes), and other stuff I cant remember at the moment.

You should understand that $2500 would be if the whole engine shit itself, crank, rod, piston, head, cylinder, trans, maybe cases would all have to have been damaged. Its only that expensive because you have to buy genuine big parts, eg. I don't think there's an aftermarket crank

A top end cost less than $200 for piston kit, gaskets, orings.

Also, lots of stuff crosses over from other brands. CR250 rod, husky sprockets, CR brake pads, CR front brake lever, CR air filters, Yamaha footpegs, KX plastics(on the old bikes), and other stuff I cant remember at the moment.

When you can buy a whole bike in nice shape for $1500 or less buying a $2500 motor makes no sense at all.

got it, well if i can make this trade happen and get some cash to offset the value of my bike i might go for it. bike looks to be in really good shape, and comes with some extra parts. i like the idea of the 6th gear too. what makes these bike such good woods bikes? is it the suspension? the gearing? chassis? i will be doing desert and single track mostly in the socal area with it.

whats the low down on these bikes? what is a reasonable price for this bike in good shape? its a 6 speed so is that a MC or EC? any big problems? anything problematic? parts issues? i was looking to trade a bike for an enduro type of bike, like wr, exc, desert bike and this fell in may lap. just looking for info to make an educated decision. thanks

About $500-700. The good part about GasGas is they are really cheap on the used market (you can get one 2-3 years old for ~$2500), so it doesn't cost much to try them out. If it needs any major work, however, don't bother - you can buy 3 used bikes for what it costs to fix one.

JayC