Sign in to follow this  

First real dual sport ride for the 'S'... This is why I bought her!

I'm just sad I bought the DRZ so late in the season. I'm in the Bay Area, CA and I chose the DRZ because it's "just barely" big enough to ride to the Sierras (~150 miles away) and a hoot on the forest roads/trails there (*hundreds* of them).

Other than 90 minutes at an offroad park a week ago, this was my first real dirt ride! My buddy was in a bit over his head on his F650GS, but I was having a blast.

I am quite happy with these IRC GP110 tires (granted, I have no experience with others). They are nice on the highways and paved twisties in the area, and aired down they did fine on the forest roads. I wouldn't run them if they were muddy though.

IMG0432-L.jpg

IMG0439-L.jpg

Some videos:

12min, probably the most challenging mile or so of the ride:

A compilation of a bunch of the roads we did... check out the climb @ 6:26:

Awesome. I need to really make it out to the west coast sooner then later

Looks like you had a blast and can ride for days

Very cool! What windscreen is that??

MRC brand. Got it at twistedthrottle.com. Not the prettiest design, but it's functional.

IMG0354-M.jpg

Awesome. I need to really make it out to the west coast sooner then later

Looks like you had a blast and can ride for days

No kidding. Check out this PDF map of forest roads/trails... this is HALF of a ranger district (of which there are four) in just one of the counties in the sierras. Paved roads aren't even on this map (or they are very faint gray lines).

(1.4mb download) http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5292433.pdf

what gps do you have there?

and what is that control you have on the right side of you handbar?

edit: 3rd question, where did you get that spare gas jug you have strapped on the back

what gps do you have there?

and what is that control you have on the right side of you handbar?

edit: 3rd question, where did you get that spare gas jug you have strapped on the back

Garmin Zumo 550 motorcycle GPS, I've had it for a few years.

On the right side I have a SPOT satellite messenger (www.findmespot.com)... very useful if you are riding in the middle of nowhere.

Gas jug is a Rotopax (www.rotopax.com).

Kris, just curious if you rode the freeways to get there or trailer in. If riding the freeway, what size gearing do you have. The Rotopax is nice, is that the one gallon size and did you get it at Orlandi trailers? Cheers

Kris, just curious if you rode the freeways to get there or trailer in. If riding the freeway, what size gearing do you have. The Rotopax is nice, is that the one gallon size and did you get it at Orlandi trailers? Cheers

Rode the freeways, stock 15/44. No problems doing 70-75 the whole way. Got the rotopax online.

looks like you had a great time....so close to yosemite and you didnt hit it up?

looks like you had a great time....so close to yosemite and you didnt hit it up?

I love Yosemite but hate it on a bike. Too much traffic and enforcement to have fun when so many empty roads surround the park. I find my way there several times a year in a car (I even got married @ glacier point).

• Like 1

I was watching you transform this bike when it had a see through tank and yellow panels....that was this bike correct? you made it so pretty i was worried if you'd ever let her see the dirt

Yup. No worries. :smashpc:

Klinquist, (Kris) I just ordered a rotopax for my DRZ. Will fit nicely on my rear rack but was curious how you secured it to your bike. Do you have their fancy lock or just strap it down? Thanks JP

Klinquist, (Kris) I just ordered a rotopax for my DRZ. Will fit nicely on my rear rack but was curious how you secured it to your bike. Do you have their fancy lock or just strap it down? Thanks JP

I got the standard pack mount seen here (not the locking one):

RX-1G-PM-D.jpg

With some big washers on the bottom, I was able to bolt it through the holes already in the Rugged Rider rack.

IMG0342-L.jpg

photo-2-L.jpg

Just got done watching your videos, I've been watching everyone's videos since my bike went out of commision (I am nearly in tears I want to hit up a trail so bad before the snow hits!) and honestly, you made really good videos. I enjoyed the loopy music as you doubled your altitude, and of course fell out of my seat later in the vid:

"let's see if we can spot a dave in his natural habitat!"

rofl...seemed like you were constantly waiting for him to catch up.

klinquist,

What taillight/blinkers/plate bracket are you running? And what size fuel pack is that? Thanks!

Welcome to the "Dualsport" world! Looks like you are having fun.....👍

I'm just sad I bought the DRZ so late in the season. I'm in the Bay Area, CA and I chose the DRZ because it's "just barely" big enough to ride to the Sierras (~150 miles away) and a hoot on the forest roads/trails there (*hundreds* of them).

Other than 90 minutes at an offroad park a week ago, this was my first real dirt ride! My buddy was in a bit over his head on his F650GS, but I was having a blast.

I am quite happy with these IRC GP110 tires (granted, I have no experience with others). They are nice on the highways and paved twisties in the area, and aired down they did fine on the forest roads. I wouldn't run them if they were muddy though.

IMG0432-L.jpg

IMG0439-L.jpg

Some videos:

12min, probably the most challenging mile or so of the ride:

A compilation of a bunch of the roads we did... check out the climb @ 6:26:

Looks like you had a fun ride!👍

MRC brand. Got it at twistedthrottle.com. Not the prettiest design, but it's functional.

IMG0354-M.jpg

What do you use on your plastics? Looks very nice.