Sign in to follow this  

Need Help Selecting Dual Sport

Hello,

My wife and I ride dirt, I've been looking for a dual sport machine which I can throw her on the back of and plunk around together.

The requirements are:

• foot pegs for both
  • comfortable seat for her (or at least one that we can add/buy seperate)
  • resonably quiet (or can get quiet exhaust for)
  • fuel injected if possible (heading to the colorado mountains often, 12 - 14k ft. passes etc.)

I'd rather have something that is more dirt than street oriented because we want to explore the backwoods but still have the capability to make a 2 to 3 hour street ride comfortable however, having the wife more comfortable is key here. Fuel injection would be a huge bonus but I assume this limits my choices considerably.

Any suggestions on which make and model to look at?

Sounds like you need a normal street bike, not so much a dual sport. If you like riding dirt, ride dirt. When you're ready to throw the old lady on the back of the same bike and cruise, you're better off with a street bike. Just my 2 cents.

I guess you could look at the bigger dual sports, like the BMW or something.

Got to agree wit the post above if you both are on the same bike, there is no way she will be comfortable for anything more than short ride. Teach the wife to ride her own & you will both have more fun.:smashpc:

I'd look at the BMW GS series. If you are going to do a lot of dirt, I'd go with the GS800. The 1200 is a big bike to go on dirt. I wouldn't expect more than dirt roads on it though.

:smashpc:😉

Hello,

My wife and I ride dirt, I've been looking for a dual sport machine which I can throw her on the back of and plunk around together.

The requirements are:

• foot pegs for both
  • comfortable seat for her (or at least one that we can add/buy seperate)
  • resonably quiet (or can get quiet exhaust for)
  • fuel injected if possible (heading to the colorado mountains often, 12 - 14k ft. passes etc.)

I'd rather have something that is more dirt than street oriented because we want to explore the backwoods but still have the capability to make a 2 to 3 hour street ride comfortable however, having the wife more comfortable is key here. Fuel injection would be a huge bonus but I assume this limits my choices considerably.

Any suggestions on which make and model to look at?

That's a pretty tall order. Any bike worth a dang offroad will not fit that description. Take her off and put her on a DR200 and a world of choices open up.

My vote is for a Husky TE630. Though I am biased cause I have one 👍

Edited by Orangeblood

Got to agree wit the post above if you both are on the same bike, there is no way she will be comfortable for anything more than short ride. Teach the wife to ride her own & you will both have more fun.:smashpc:

IMG_7842.jpg

my wife enjoyed our ride to Alaska on the XR650L. We camped and cooked our own food and packed that thing down

IMG_7230.JPG

IMG_7254.JPG

I don't know how 12-14K would be though. I have only had it to ~6K. did fine from sea level to there though.

I could recomend either the XRL, Husky TE610/630, or Yamaha WR250R

the XRL will handle the most abuse and biggest loads by far. the WR will be best offroad

and I am glad that she didnt ride her own bike. would have much things much more complicated.

Your description sounds like a couple of DR650SE reviews ive read...

The only real problem with the DR is the stock seat was based on a medieval torture device, a big range of aftermarket seats available. Stock exhaust is very quiet.

Sorry they use carbs, mxrob has done a FI conversion though.

Also look at the KLR650 not fast or nimble but good for two up bush riding.

I found the V-Strom 650 terrible off-road, that is, just a street bike. If off-road means gravel roads, it is OK with the right tires. On the road, it's a peach.

KLR650 sounds like the obvious choice, though it isn't a dirt bike, it's better than a pure street bike.

You can check with the other owners but I sold a KLR650 when I moved to Phoenix because it didn't have enough power to handle our 65 and 75 mph freeways to get to the off road section. I felt like a sitting duck.

Great bike for below 55 mph world exploring but two up on Western U.S. highways???? I know people do it but it was not for me.

I expect many of your choices will involve a seat up grade.

Don't know what your budget is but for a comfortable wife, descent off road ability, able to handle 2 to 3 hour stretches on U.S. highways and fuel injection the BMW F 800 GS fits the bill.

It just cost a lot and is very hard to find used.

My wife finds my drz400 more comfortable than my versys.... its got foot pegs a decent seat, very dirt worthy... not fuel injected but the Cvk carb is pretty good with elevation change... versys and vstrom are dirt road bikes unless you wanna destroy them.... but I love riding my drz and my wife..... tolerates it... for labor day we camped and did roughly 100 miles of trail riding 2up... only complaints from her were sore kidneys from not being able to stand up on bumps

IMG_7842.jpg

my wife enjoyed our ride to Alaska on the XR650L. We camped and cooked our own food and packed that thing down

IMG_7230.JPG

IMG_7254.JPG

I don't know how 12-14K would be though. I have only had it to ~6K. did fine from sea level to there though.

I could recomend either the XRL, Husky TE610/630, or Yamaha WR250R

the XRL will handle the most abuse and biggest loads by far. the WR will be best offroad

and I am glad that she didnt ride her own bike. would have much things much more complicated.

You have an awesome wife, Seriously, Alaska on a XR650! Nice!

so it looks like

KLR560

XR650

BMW GS650 or 800

DRZ400

Thanks for the suggesitons, I'll look into these models for now, maybe more questoins later...

I'd look at DR650 too.

The bikes on your list go from mostly suited for road to better suited for dirt.

In approx. order of decreasing street capability / increasing dirt capability, as well as decreasing weight:

F800GS

KLR650

BMW GS650

DR650

XR650

DRZ400

If I was looking for a 2-up bike, I'd get the 800 Beemer and give of some dirt-ability. Or better yet the 1200GS.

I'd look at DR650 too.

The bikes on your list go from mostly suited for road to better suited for dirt.

In approx. order of decreasing street capability / increasing dirt capability, as well as decreasing weight:

F800GS

KLR650

BMW GS650

DR650

XR650

DRZ400

If I was looking for a 2-up bike, I'd get the 800 Beemer and give of some dirt-ability. Or better yet the 1200GS.

Good summary, thanks for the weight info. Usually when I liook at a dirt bike I consider weight 1st, suspension performance 2nd and power 3rd. HOwever, a Dual Sport might have a different order, what characteristics/priority would you suggest?

Most of the time I will have the Mrs. on the back when I'm riding this machine...

I don't know if id consider a dr I had one for a minute and a drz has more power on and off road and better suspension... sprockets are cheap so you can throw a 41t on the rear and do over 100mph.... dr seats no better than any others and you can get bigger tanks for either..I got rid of mine quick and got my z

Good summary, thanks for the weight info. Usually when I liook at a dirt bike I consider weight 1st, suspension performance 2nd and power 3rd. HOwever, a Dual Sport might have a different order, what characteristics/priority would you suggest?

Most of the time I will have the Mrs. on the back when I'm riding this machine...

No 2-up bike that works decently on the road is going to be light enough to be a good dirt bike. For 2-up, some road and some dirt use, I would choose a KTM 950/990 Adventure.

Otherwise, for no real dirt, but dirt roads and gravel roads, plus good pavement performance, the BMW F800GS, 1200GS or Triumph 800XC. The V-Stroms could work too.

For the budget choice, jack of all trades but master of none, the KLR.

If your passenger is tough and you really mean dirt, the XR650L, DR650, etc. are better than the others above.

Someone mentioned DR-Z400S. Good bike, better off road than anything else mentioned here, but few would willingly choose one for 2-up riding, especially if it includes any road work. Even without a passenger, it is the poorest road bike on the list (and by far the best dirt bike).

Check out MTRhead 2-up on his KTM in Moab:

(above videos from Credit this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10991903&postcount=14522)