Rode a KX450F this weekend

I've never seen so many low-hour, very nice bikes for sale cheap as I do now in this economy. If you can't find any model in the low to mid $2000's that is still tight - man, you ain't looking. All kinds of people who bought an mx'r or trail bike mostly to look good in the garage are getting rid of them now. I picked up my 97 KDX200 with maybe 20 hours on it for $1000 and stuck modern forks on it, I picked up my 96 WR250z (smoker) with NO hours on it for $2500. Never used, no kidding - rock-hard original Bridgestone "Gritty" tires with the nubs sticking out. Braaaaaap....I hardly ever ride my souped-up 07 WR250F anymore, it just doesn't really do anything as well as my ancient smokers - just the weight difference brings me less smiles in the tight stuff. Mx'rs everywhere cheap.

Maybe in Cali but not in Texas.

You can't score a used good condition 250 2 stroke right now for the cost of a used 250/450f. There's a reason for this.

Brand new, the cost is similar, sure. But in a few years, the 250 smoker will hold some value, while nobody want's to buy your used fooper. People are starting to realize that these insanely tuned "high performance" 4t's are ticking time bombs, just waiting for the right moment to empty your bank account.

Yep, look around for last year two-strokes versions vs. same year 4-stroke and the price difference is noticeable. For example:

2007 KX250 vs. 2007 KX250F (last one they made vs. it's 5 years old)

2007 CR250R vs. 2007 CRF250R (same)

2008 RM250 vs. 2008 RM-Z250 (same, but 4 years old)

recent year YZ250 vs. YZ250F of same year

Around here, there is a huge gap in asking price on "normal condition for the age" KX250's and "hardly ridden" KX250's --- $1,000 on average

You can't score a used good condition 250 2 stroke right now for the cost of a used 250/450f. There's a reason for this.

Brand new, the cost is similar, sure. But in a few years, the 250 smoker will hold some value, while nobody want's to buy your used fooper. People are starting to realize that these insanely tuned "high performance" 4t's are ticking time bombs, just waiting for the right moment to empty your bank account.

In my area KX250's 1999 to lower 2000's can be had for about $18-2400 in good shape - that's about the same as what they went for 3 years ago. BUT, the trick is to be patient until someone unloads one with hardly any time on it.

People around my area are losing ground, money-wise, and a lot of bike owners are construction people, who simply aren't bringing any money in with hardly any building happening - so really good deals pop up fairly regularly. I agree with the 4strk ticking time-bomb comment, those bikes are dropping in price like crazy, and many say the valves just need adjusting....yeah, just adjusting... sure.

Honestly, I have owned both. 02 rm 250 smoker, 07 rm with an EG 144 in it, 05 kx 250 smoker, 07 kx 250f, and now currently a 2011 kx 250FI bike I bought new for 5600 OTD(over a grand less then a new YZ 125 would cost) and a 2005 kx 125 two stroke I bought from the original owners with original tires still on it for 900 bucks. After a precautionary top end, some new tires, about 1200 bucks. Anybody who owns both will say the fun factor is there on the 2 stroke, but seriously when it comes down to it on the track for 95% of the riders on this board they will be faster on the 4 stroke plain and simple. I'm a two stroke lover just like anybody else in this section and its why I still have one to play on, but I really think anybody who believes the two stroke is easier to go faster on on the MX track is in denial.

I would say 2 stroke for fun, 4 stroke to win races. I am faster on a 450 for longer, but I can hold the same pace for less time on a 250, the problem there is endurance. Races aren't the 4-5 laps I can hold race pace on a 2 stroke compared to the 6-8 I can on a 450

For me the exact opposite is true. When a racetrack gets beaten up and gnarly as the day goes on, it's harder for me to hang on to the bigger 450 and push. When the track is broken down and at its worst, the lighter, nimbler 250T is easier to go faster on..for longer.

Maybe if I was still a twenty-something that'd be different.

Jeekinz, that 2007 KX450F has a beast of an engine, mine was an arm-stretcher with no hesitation. But smaller? :smashpc: My KX250 feels like a pencil compared to that bike.

Yeah, IDK....the chassis and cockpit feel just felt smaller. Maybe flatter is more like it. The bike seemed kind of flat or low. About the same width as my 05 but the pegs felt awkward making me point my toes forward. I wear braces too.

Honestly, I have owned both. 02 rm 250 smoker, 07 rm with an EG 144 in it, 05 kx 250 smoker, 07 kx 250f, and now currently a 2011 kx 250FI bike I bought new for 5600 OTD(over a grand less then a new YZ 125 would cost) and a 2005 kx 125 two stroke I bought from the original owners with original tires still on it for 900 bucks. After a precautionary top end, some new tires, about 1200 bucks. Anybody who owns both will say the fun factor is there on the 2 stroke, but seriously when it comes down to it on the track for 95% of the riders on this board they will be faster on the 4 stroke plain and simple. I'm a two stroke lover just like anybody else in this section and its why I still have one to play on, but I really think anybody who believes the two stroke is easier to go faster on on the MX track is in denial.
I would say 2 stroke for fun, 4 stroke to win races. I am faster on a 450 for longer, but I can hold the same pace for less time on a 250, the problem there is endurance. Races aren't the 4-5 laps I can hold race pace on a 2 stroke compared to the 6-8 I can on a 450

I don't think anyone will make the case that a 2-stroke is easier to ride than a 4t, only in certain situations maybe. I care about a 4t being easier to ride around an mx track as much as I care about it being easier to ride a quad through 2-track. Its a stupid point to make. 95% of us riders ride for FUN not to win races and make money. So, a 2-stroke is a more logical choice for 95% or riders. Even then I will not concede you need a 4t to win races. You need a 4t to win races if you're slow. If you take the time to learn how to ride a 2stroke properly I believe you will be just as fast if not very close to your speed on a 4t. If you don't want to take the time to learn to clutch and brake and execute good throttle control don't bother riding a 2t.

I don't think anyone will make the case that a 2-stroke is easier to ride than a 4t, only in certain situations maybe. I care about a 4t being easier to ride around an mx track as much as I care about it being easier to ride a quad through 2-track. Its a stupid point to make. 95% of us riders ride for FUN not to win races and make money. So, a 2-stroke is a more logical choice for 95% or riders. Even then I will not concede you need a 4t to win races. You need a 4t to win races if you're slow. If you take the time to learn how to ride a 2stroke properly I believe you will be just as fast if not very close to your speed on a 4t. If you don't want to take the time to learn to clutch and brake and execute good throttle control don't bother riding a 2t.

I agree that for a newer rider the 4 stroke is the easier answer. If one takes the time to learn to ride on a two stroke and carries those skills onto riding the four stroke they will be much better off. I'm glad I rode two strokes on the track for over 5 years before ever throwing a leg over a 250f (late 2009 when I rode one for the first time). It does require much more skill to go the same speed on a 125 as a 250f. For me to get the same lap times on the same track same day between my 125 and 250f I have to Really hang it out there on the edge on the 125.

EDIT: I can say that the one day I raced the 125, at the END of the day when the track was VERY rough, I really liked the 125 because it was a lot lighter and seemed to be more nimble in the braking bumps. It danced over them, rather than dropping down into all of them like my 250f would from the engine braking and heavier weight which takes alot out of me.