Riding in Calgary Area

I'm just getting back into riding again after 20 plus years, got myself an 01 DRZ250 and 03 KX250. Found riding at Maclean Creek and Waiporous in the muddy conditions challenging. Went out to Irricana and rode the gravel pitts for the first time saturday. What a blast. They have some real nice jumps, some challenging hill climbs, and just some nice areas to cruise. I took my two sons out there the following day for their first adventure in dirtbiking. They have 90 cc automatic bikes and did they ever have fun. It will be tough for me to get out again without my boys, but hey we dads need out time as well out in the bush. If you haven't rode out there I would recomend trying it. The calibre of people that ride there ranges from experienced to beginner. Its good to get to the top of the big hill and just watch the guys air out their bikes.

Any other areas I should be trying?? Any other easy spots to take my boys??

Have a few neat garmin tracks of gravel roads around NW calgary. Sounds like you are looking for off road stuff though.

Where are the gravel pits near irricana? That sounds like fun. I have been out to construction sites in NW calgary but should probably find better places.

go up towards airdrie and once at the northend of Airdrie you go East. Follow that until highway 9, turn north and go into irricana. Follow main drag past gas station and at the end of the T intersection turn right. Follow that around, over the tracks and once you hit the stop sign just go straight through intersection and the gravel pit is just up that road on your right. You will see it when your driving. Its a very nice place to rip around and jump your bike. It has good climbs, gravel and sand to ride in. It takes me a half hour to get there from Coventry.

Thanks Mayniac. I just looked on Google maps and think I can see it at the corner of TWP rd 280 and Range rd 264. Hopefully can get out there before it gets too cold out. Probably take me a bit longer from Ranchlands but google maps says 1 hour 7 minutes. I have noticed it overestimates travel times sometimes.

Thanks again.

Well they have now closed Irricana gravel pit. I was there friday and they had belly scrapers all over flattening everything. I was told it is now closed so I guess its back to Maclean Creek and Waipourous for me. Anyone know of any riding closer to Calgary?

Well they have now closed Irricana gravel pit. I was there friday and they had belly scrapers all over flattening everything. I was told it is now closed so I guess its back to Maclean Creek and Waipourous for me. Anyone know of any riding closer to Calgary?

I've got and idea... Why don't you post up directions to Maclean Creek and Waipourous and contribute to getting them closed down too....👍

Hey you Knob, Maclean creek and Waiporous is designated riding areas...... As for Irricana, Maybe the guys dumping all the garbage in there had something to do with getting it shut down. It has been a riding area for a long time. So blaming me for getting them shut down shows your a knob....

• Like 1

Hey you Knob, Maclean creek and Waiporous is designated riding areas...... As for Irricana, Maybe the guys dumping all the garbage in there had something to do with getting it shut down. It has been a riding area for a long time. So blaming me for getting them shut down shows your a knob....

Famous last words. Just like all the locals here that say "They can't close those trails down! We built them 20 years ago!"... almost like they feel they should be grandfathered in or something... wrong.

Big deal... Maclean creek and Waiporous are designated riding areas. Do you really want a bunch of possibly disrespectful idiots that read your directions riding the same trails. Who knows... maybe they will bring some garbage with them to dump and get Maclean creek and Waiporous put under the microscope and eventually closed down too.

You picking up what I'm putting down??? Call me what you want... You're just some pixels on a screen.

You guys sound like a couple of old crows. The Irricana gravel pit is closed because they want to start taking gravel out of it again. Who'd of thunk it. And as far as waiprous and mclean, the directions are posted in the "where to ride" section of these forums. And seriously if someone owns a dirtbike and lives in calgary and they dont know where mclean and waiprous are then where are they riding?

Their not closeing the pits. They threaten to do it all the time and it never happens. I live 5 minutes away and go there almost every weekend. Once, about 4 years ago, the said the closed it down permenatly and put up fences all around the area. Some guys Rented a bobcat and built a jump over the fence and eventually they just let people in again. It'll be open again in spring. They'll just take some gravel out and open her up again.

Either way, the gravel pits suck. Whoever believes that it is actually a fun place to ride is on drugs. Between the quadtards and the guys shooting rifles 100ft away, its also very dangerous. The hillclimbs are not hillclimbs when you can make it uop on a KLX 140, in second gear! As for other places to ride, the track is always fun. You dont have to go on the main track though, the hill track and east track are easy to ride and have no big jumps.

Irricana pit is offically reopened. They rebuilt everything. Its alot better now. Seems like everytime they close it and reopen it gets better.

From what I have been told, the Irricana pits are private property and riding there is not something the owner encourages. Whether or not that is accurate, I am not sure. Having lived in Kamloops prior to moving here and seeing what happened in the case of the Barnhartvale pits I can't see how riding there would be at all interesting, legal or not.

Maclean Creek has tons of great trails, although they can be very muddy in the early season. Waiprous is okay on weekdays. If you really want to ride some good trails the Fallen Timber area west of Water Valley has hundreds of trails that range from easy to extremely challenging. Takes a bit to get there, but it is a great area that is not over run even on weekends.

👍

I've taken a couple guys out to an area I know just NW of the city where I'd been riding since I was a kid. (Those of you who I've taken know what I'm talking about.) However it is private property, and MUST BE RESPECTED or riding will not be allowed anymore. Hence, I'm hesitant to go posting directions up on here.

Irricana pit is offically reopened. They rebuilt everything. Its alot better now. Seems like everytime they close it and reopen it gets better.

When where you out there? I want to go Saturday are they all done working in the pit?? so no issues?

My buddy and I were out there yesterday and had a blast!. It's got a lot more large dirt piles now. The equipement is to be gone by end of today.

Just so everyone knows, the Police are handing out fines to anyone caught riding out in Irricana now. We went out there this weekend, and were told to just turn around and go. Riding in this Province sucks...I should just go back to BC.

Just so everyone knows, the Police are handing out fines to anyone caught riding out in Irricana now. We went out there this weekend, and were told to just turn around and go. Riding in this Province sucks...I should just go back to BC.

Yeah, and the cops also said to everyone "this is a warning, but we won't be coming back to check that everyone is gone"

I take that to mean "braaaaaaap braaaaaaaaaappp!!!"

We were out at Irricana a couple weeks ago, lots of people riding there (though we were only there because MacLean FLUZ was still closed). I was bored after 30 minutes, but I'm also not much of a track rider so that may be why.

I'd definitely suggest you give MacLean another try though. If you start at the NW lot you're definitely going to be dealing with lots of mud as that tends to be where most of the quads and trucks start out of.

You really want to start down at the south fisher stage, little bit challenging single track in some parts with the kids, but that where all the truly good offroad motorcycling is.

We've got some of the best riding in North America out there, don't waste it by taking your kids to gravel pits!

Riding in this Province sucks...I should just go back to BC.

You're kidding, right? I grew up in the Mecca of riding in BC, but if you truly believe what you say then you haven't ridden anywhere in Alberta.

Head out on a guided ride with the RMDRA. They'll take you on some of the best single track trail in the world.

😢