Sign in to follow this  

91 cr125 wicked head shake. advice?

Had my cr125 out this past weekend and finally got comfortable on it and was able to get my speed up. When I got into the long straights on the trails over wash board I get crazy head shake. Like it seems like its almost hitting the stops the bars are ripping from one side to the other so bad. Scared the crap out of me. I backed the compression all the way off and it's still pretty bad. The bike has no rebound adjustment so not much I could do there. I have it set up with 5wt oil in the forks, compression 12 clicks out from full hard. I'm 5'5 145 with all gear on and it has stock fork springs. Any advise on what I can do to get rid of the head shake or atleast make it more tame. Race tech sells a gold valve kit for the forks would that help? Also race tech's calculator says I should run .39 spring rate stock is .38 is there really that much of a difference between the 2?

Loosen the triple clamps, and raise the forks (bring closer to handlebars) a bit at a time. Put more weight on the front-end and lessen headshake during high speed acceleration. If that doesnt solve it, tighten the nut on the steering stem up a little more, so its a little teeny bit harder to turn the bars than normal..but watch your bearings closely. I'm not a master on suspension fork settings but this should get you by until you figure that out...I'm your weight and always ran stock springs in my '95 125 if that helps..

oh yeah forgot...have you set your suspension sag? rear sag can have an effect on the weighting of the frontend too

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/racesag.asp

Dear 1Bbad

I too experienced what you wrote. If you do not know when those bearings were last replaced, and you plan to keep the bike for a while, I'd highly recommend that you change them out. I did, and I did it myself....at home in my normal garage. You'll need a heavy duty vise with anvil. A small cut-wheel and a torch, hammer, brass punches, and patience. There is a video I found online (British) which really helped me do the job with out the aid of a hydraulic press. It is a big job, but you'll save your body from getting hurt by eliminating the shake. At least, take it apart and inspect and lube. Bob