Sign in to follow this  

1996 xr600-xl600 camshafts

Hi everyone,

just wanted some advise on xl600 engines,i have a 1996 xr600r which ive got the head off at the minute i was just doing the piston rings but now ive found a badly worn rocker arm and a nice square shaped camshaft, now heres the questions ive been offered an xl600 engine but i dont know what year it is from yet will the camshaft fit in a xr600 or are they different lift coz xls are electric start so i guess they dont have decomp on? so will the engine go in the xr or not ?? what should i do buy the engine or not what can i use off it

??

Hi everyone,

Ive been offered an xl600 engine but i don't know what year it is from. Will the camshaft fit in a xr600 or are they different lift coz xls are electric start so i guess they don't have decomp on? so will the engine go in the xr or not ?? what should i do buy the engine or not what can i use off it

??

Depends what year XR600 you run ..Yours being a 96 then in theory it won't work. Different lengths in Cams up there between the years. Pre 87 XL/XR can use either Cam from either model in each bike but not when you get to single carb models.

XL600s are not electric start.

XLs have different auto decomp setups than the above say 89 XRs,,both however still run the hand operated decomp lever on the head.

The XL engine will fit an XR frame but the single carb double carb problem will rear its head if you attempt it..

Without going into quite major work I'd say just buy another Cam for the XR,,If the XL motors cheap I'd buy it as quite a few parts are interchangable but not all..Your call on whether you want spares laying about for possible future use..

Edited by Horri

ok, where all xls twin carb? and if its single carb can i do a full head transplant from xl to xr??

All the XLs and XRs pre I think 88 are twin carb.

Yes you can put an XL head etc on an XR but you will need to do some engineering of various dowels which hold the head/barrel in place and also get different retaining bolts as the models use different sizes of both..You can't use the XL bore/piston unless you change the crank over..Course you could use the entire XL engine and carbs and swap the air cleaner front from the XL over to the front of the XR air cleaner or possibly use an entire XL airbox on the XR.. .Few ways of going about things ,,all require a bit of mickeying about to get them right.,Might run into an issue with the XR frame geometry and twin carbs/air cleaner should you try that method..it being different in subtle but telling ways than an XL twin carb frame..

No one makes an adaptor so you can run a single carb on a double carb head,,You can be the guinea pig on that one..

May also have to change a few Cam chain sprockets and the cam chain as there's two types of chains and sprockets,,One lot are wider and more solid than others..My 86 XR uses a far heavier chain and sprockets than the XLs..think that may have changed with the later years XRs,, them going to the thinner versions as the XRL650 and XL600 run.,,which is why I continually ask for someone to mic a 650L Cam chain and sprockets so I know what sizes each model uses..

Be far cheaper and easier imho to simply buy a new Cam for the XR and a few tappets if they are flogged out..

Edited by Horri

Depends what year XR600 you run ..Yours being a 96 then in theory it won't work. Different lengths in Cams up there between the years. Pre 87 XL/XR can use either Cam from either model in each bike but not when you get to single carb models.

XL600s are not electric start.

XLs have different auto decomp setups than the above say 89 XRs,,both however still run the hand operated decomp lever on the head.

The XL engine will fit an XR frame but the single carb double carb problem will rear its head if you attempt it..

Without going into quite major work I'd say just buy another Cam for the XR,,If the XL motors cheap I'd buy it as quite a few parts are interchangable but not all..Your call on whether you want spares laying about for possible future use..

Wrong.... :busted:

He is from the United Kingdom where the they sold a XL600LM in 1984 to an unknown year(to me) and it had electric start. :smashpc:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xl600lm%2084.htm

Honda%20XL600LM%2085%20%205.jpg

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xl600lm%2084.htm

👍

Edited by TNTsXLR

Right,,You're correct,,forgot about that oddity of an XL..so it has to be the correct XL..Surely they sold both types over there..anyway,,I say just buy a new cam and the tappets,,put them in and you're finished..

Link doesn't work by the way,,think you're missing an L,,html

Nope even with the html it doesn't work..

Right,,You're correct,,forgot about that oddity of an XL..so it has to be the correct XL..Surely they sold both types over there..anyway,,I say just buy a new cam and the tappets,,put them in and you're finished..

Link doesn't work by the way,,think you're missing an L,,html

Nope even with the html it doesn't work..

I just tried it again and it works for me??? :smashpc:

Won't load for me..anyway I know the XL you're talking about,,seen it before,,slipped my mind ..Not sure on the engine in them,,might be the same as the NX650,,ie,,same as the 650L,, just the first version of it..

Anyway,,all I've raved about is kind of irrelevant if it's the XL600-lm,,dunno what carb/carbs those things run..

Edited by Horri