Sign in to follow this  

Second race report w/ Video's

Second race, first Enduro report w/ video

Here's a link to the first Harescramble Race Report I did.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1013257

This weekend was the MRANN WSRA Wildhorse enduro at Toulon NV. I had heard that this was going to be tougher than the first race I did and wasn't really sure what to expect. The way people were talking about it... finishing may not have been a realistic goal, so my goal was simply to start it and see what happened. Loop number 1 was 40 miles and I figured I could do 40 miles even if it took a long time. I had no idea what I was up against haha.

First what I learned about an Enduro. Riders at this enduro started by row number, starting with 1. There were three people on row 1, labeled A, B, and C. When the race began clocks were started at checkpoints all around the race course. When the clock at the start line hit 1 minute, then all three riders labeled 1A, 1B, and 1C took off. At minute 2, the next row would leave and so on and so forth. Experts went first. For my race there were essentially 2 different sections to the course. Special Test sections where your goal is to go as fast as possible because these sections are timed and you gain or lose points for speed in them, this is also where the course designers try to murder you with crazy water falls, an ocean of rocks and miles of silt. The second kind of section is called a Transfer. It's usually an easier section of the course, you're not scored on it and the purpose is for you to be able to make up some time if needed. My starting row was 62. So I started an hour and 2 minutes after the first row. The goal was to be ahead of your time as you got to each checkpoint. I got to the first 2 checkpoints ahead of time and then was behind the rest of the race. As I arrived at the first checkpoint the clock (which had adjusted time like all the checkpoints) was ticking at 58 minutes, so I had 3ish minutes to rest. Same at the second checkpoint. The rest of the race checkpoints were WAY beyond my 62 minute mark and I didn't get to rest because I was behind on time.

Anyways on to the report.

This was easily the hardest thing I've ever done physically. I'm still not sure if my thumb is broken but I mashed it in the second Special Test section and had to ride with it for the 35 remaining miles. I wanted to quit many times and just had to soldier on. The first two special test sections were pretty short. 2 miles or so, but comprised of 3-4 foot uphill water falls where you had to wheelie up them. Thanks to 2PLY for the help with wheelies it came in handy, bouncing the front wheel off the face of the wall to get up it. This was the first time I ever had to do it and there were about 4-5 places I had to do it. There was also one very large downhill waterfall, roughly 10 feet down than you had to inch down on your brakes and go through 2 dog legs. These are in the video but don't look nearly as bad as they do in real life :smashpc:

At the end of the second special test I was wrung out. I think the WSRA guys knew we would be because they gave us a REALLY long transfer section, it must have been like 10-14 miles. Instead of rocks and water falls, it was silt, rocks and thick deep gravel/sand. All covered in whups. I slowed down through this section because I knew I was off my minute by a huge amount, but even more so I knew there were more special test sections ahead that I needed to conserve energy for.

The next special test ended up being the last section of the race and it was 10 miles I think. Not sure. It was damn LOOONG though. 2 foot wide wash with rocks every where, which turned into an uphill. It wasn't very steep but it wound back and forth with first sized rocks piled in it enough that you never were actually riding on dirt. You were always on rocks. This uphill lasted at least a mile up to the top of Toulon peak. This is where the battery in the GoPro died so the following isn't on the videos. At which point we had to go DOWN a similar wash. Some sections flattened out at this point, and there were a couple really steep downhill sections with large rocks that I just got off the bike and inched down. Crashing often.

I managed to finish the race on minute 143 which means I houred out. Houring out means you are more than 1 hour behind in time. Since I started on minute 62 my hour out time was minute 124. What this meant was that I could not start the second loop which was another 40 miles and quite a bit easier from what I heard. I wouldn't have done it if they had let me, I was completely done in and just wanted to NOT be on my bike anymore. I did however gain a new appreciation for my YZF450. It was NOT the bike for this race and it did an amazing job. I dropped it, pitched it, flogged it, and threw it and it just keep running. At times I'd wished it would give up so that I could, but it never did.

A note on watching the video's which I'll be uploading. Please keep in mind that most of the time I was EXHAUSTED!!! Nearly all the sections I struggled on in the video's I could totally bomb through if I was fresh and in better shape. It's hard to keep that in mind, but most of the time I'm riding very carefully because I didn't trust my body to react the way I needed it to.

First Video

Second

Third

Edited by RenoMike
  • Like 1

I've been waiting for your report. For some sadistic reason, I'm craving more video to relive that nightmare:eek:

Forgive me if I pile on a bit...For a novice, that wasn't a race. More like survival. Sure, you could do all the stuff. But with a novice skill level tend to use a bunch of energy. By the end there was some fun easy stuff, but you just didn't trust being able to hang on to the bike. On the uphill, people dumping their bikes and just laying on their backs for 10 minutes.

I have an idea about why everyone was so spent. Breathing. To finish the uphill, I rode angry, did an impressive wheelie out the top to boot, and was feelin it:lol: But, I held my breath the whole time, so I had to stop and relax. You can be in great shape, but forget to breath and you're screwed.

Minor medical update.

Last night my thumb looked like this. Foot bruise is from kicking the starter so much. New boots are in my future :smashpc:

ouch.jpg

Today it looks like a black and blue sausage. VERY swollen. So I went to the Dr just to make sure. Kinda wussy but hey, these thing fingers pay the bills in the IT world haha. X-Ray said it's not broken and Dr said to eat advil, put ice on it and quit bitching. Lucky me the blood and swelling didn't get into my thumb nail. The Dr threatened to poke a hole in the nail if that had happened. Do these people really expect repeat customers with statements like that?

And Ubu go ahead and rant. I can totally feel you man. The uphill will be in the last video as that's where the battery died. 👍

I watched both of your videos and none of the riding looks fun. I don't think courses like that do much to bring beginners into the sport :smashpc:

I'd skip the new pair of boots and spend the money on a Rekluse EXP 2.0. You won't have to restart the bike anymore, you'll be faster and have more energy.

I just started racing this year too, and the rekluse has made my bike so much more fun and my results have improved significantly. Not having to restart the bike all the time is pure bliss and conserves my energy for riding.

It was a tough race that's for sure and while it may not have been fun, it DID show me a whole new level of what I can do. There were a bunch of times I didn't think I'd be able to finish. But I did. That was worth doing the race :smashpc: In fact I would totally do it again given the chance.

I appreciate the feed back but boots cost 1/3 of what a rekluse does and I'm not sure I'm going to keep the 450. Plus my feet have been mashed one way or another in both races and I tore chucks out of the soles of both boots in this race. It's time for another pair of kicks 👍

Plus it is only my opinion of my riding, but I was going slow because I was tired and didn't trust my muscles to react the way I wanted. If that was not the case, I would have gone much faster. So my big issue right now is a fitness/skill issue, not a technical issue. Some sections would have been easier with an autoclutch, but I'd have still been exhausted and unable to maneuver the bike the way I wanted to.

That's the plan right now. Not written in stone just an idea. I can't use the power of the 450 and it was made for a MX track, not off road racing. I don't want to nickle and dime it trying to MAKE it into the bike I want.

Nice race report! (I enjoyed the first one too) I remember my first enduro, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was like "hey, I've done a lot of trail riding, this should just be like a day at the trails!" Man was I wrong, by the time I got to the finish, I was literally cussing at every corner because everything hurt and I didn't hardly have enough energy to hold onto the handle bars.

I somehow managed to not hour out of the race (don't ask me how) but I vowed I wouldn't go to another race, and I left as soon as I had enough energy to pack my stuff because I was so disheartened at how I performed. Needless to say I found out later when one of my friends stopped by my house with a trophy, that I had gotten second place in Open C! I was so excited by this I decided maybe I would go to another race maybe. By the time Wednesday rolled around my memory of the race had faded enough that I had forgotten most of the bad and only remembered the good. I was pumped from the trophy and was already starting to ask "when's the next race?". I've been racing since and I love it!

I started on a WR400 and have since switched to a two-smoker and love it! In B class now starting to get good enough that next year I might bump to A.

I can definitely understand what you're saying man :smashpc: On that last uphill in the third video I was screaming this it was incredibly stupid sending us up that hill. I was so ANGRY at whatever sick bastard had said "You know, they've been at it for 30 miles of terrible terrain... I know what will really screw em. Lets send them up THIS hill." I mean didn't they realize that there were Novices? That some of us have room to improve in both skill and fitness and perhaps this re-invention of the bataan death march was a little over the top? But in the end... I showed myself that I could do it, and it felt great 👍

The results have not been posted yet, but I seriously doubt I'll be getting any trophies haha. Ubu started behind me and finished ahead of me so if anyone will be on the podium it's him. I AM interested to see how many people started and DNF'd though. Perhaps I'm a sick bastard as well hehe.

I don't think I finished ahead of you, man. I did finish ahead of another guy in my row (65).

There was also an older guy in row 72 who was watching his heart rate on the uphill. He hit 180 (I'll carry this bike up this hill if I have to, It's the only way way out!:smashpc:) He wrecked bad on the downhill ( said he was OK, so I kept going.) I hope he was alright.

I pretty much hung with another "t" number guy the rest of the way in. He parked his bike on the side of a hill at one point. We exchanged some words...."this isn't FUN anymore."

Remember the rider's meeting? There's a big downhill. I never saw it, maybe I was just in survival mode. I think it was just some sadist trick because I was thinking about it all the way UP Hell's Pass, and this extreme downhill never materialized.

Oh well. I survived. My thumbs are still functional:p so I got to change my destroyed front tire tonight. The rear tomorrow. It's only money, right?

Edited by ubu

We'll see how we did when the results are posted but I think you did finish ahead of me.

The big down hill... well it wasn't so much big as it was really hairy. I was so tired that I couldn't keep the bike in the rut and ended up in the rocks. Bent both my bark busters, one was pointing up and the other pointing down. I lost probably 20-30 minutes on that hill.

Thumb's feeling better :smashpc: I'm heading out with the Tankslapper guys this weekend to mark course for our race and hopefully I can get stationed to help somewhere and I'll take some video of you getting stuck in a technical section 👍

It's only money haha

hopefully I can get stationed to help somewhere and I'll take some video of you getting stuck in a technical section :smashpc:

That would be cool since I don't yet own a GoPro to make a fool of myself with:smirk: I keep spending money on bike parts.

I need to find a club one of these days, but Tankslapper's was one of the funnest races last year. Need to have some fun after that last one.

And the results are in!!!

Ok so I finished 66th over all out of 94 riders. 20th Novice out of 35 and 3rd in class out of 4. Although I'm not quite sure what's up with the Novice 4 Stroke guy who finished 13th overall... I'm gonna have to ask about that one.

I was also the LAST rider through the last checkpoint on the first loop. Essentially I was right on the bubble for the DNF list. I'm not sure though, these are just preliminary results and seems to me that there are some mistakes in them that need to be combed through. I think the guys at the last checkpoint missed marking off time on some people...

Either way... FUN FUN and I got my finisher pin, by bringing up the rear hehe 👍

Edited by RenoMike

Cool story and videos. I have really enjoyed both of your race reports Mike. Keep up the good work!

hey reno mike

i to was there on sunday,started on the 37 th minute.this was my 1st enduro but not my 1st time riding a wsra course!

i ride o 40 ametuer and was very spent after the 1st loop but new i needed to go back out for the second loop. with 15 miles left i just could not focus any more regardless of how much water i drank or if i sat down or stood up,it just wasnt safe to keep my speed up.

i did not have fun at that race but raced to keep a commitment i made to race every mrann race this year.man i wish i was 32 again!!lol I am 47 at this point but still doin it.mrann races will up your skill level for sure, but nothing replaces good fitness,i started cross fitting last nov.3-4 times a week or try p-90 x it all works plus a good cardio regime.looking forward to next race as everybody says its a good one,hope we get some moisture.keep up the good work. 83c ktm 150xc:thumbsup:

Thank you all for the encouragement 👍

I'm glad yall like the race reports, I'll probably do a few more just for fun. I know that when I signed up on TT I was looking for race reports just to get an idea and perhaps some peace of mind by understanding the process a bit.

This weekend 15/16 is the Tankslappers race at Purgatory Peak NV. I joined the Tankslappers so I'll be working this race. I went out and helped mark about 3/4 of the big bike loop on Sat and I gotta tell ya, this is a fun course. I will have my GoPro on me and I think I've managed to find myself a spot to work in one of the more technical sections. Hopefully I'll have some good footage to post up :ride: