Sign in to follow this  

switching from a 450 to 250 four stroke?

Okay so call me crazy but I've been thinking of selling my 450 thumper and buying a 250 im always tossing around the idea of different bikes but never considered a 250 im thinking the 450 on the track I never use it to the full potential im an average rider. The 250 would be nice to really beat on something around the track and work the bike plus there lighter. Kind of like the same idea with streetbike 600 and 1000 the 600 I could scream the thing but the 1000 I was constantly on and off the throttle. I dunno just thinking if anyone else has done this or would I miss my 450. But I am a bigger guy too 5'10" 215lbs

It's gonna be a lot slower. But, if you are riding on tight tracks and woods you will probably be faster. It doesn't make a ton of power but it puts it all to the ground.

It will also be much easier to throw around which sounds like what you are looking for.

Deffinately try one first. I've had several over recent years. I like the sound, smell, ease of maintenance.

I keep going back to the 4strokes. they're so much easier to go fast on. far better traction and wide, predictable power delivery.

Deffinately try one first. I've had several over recent years. I like the sound, smell, ease of maintenance.

I keep going back to the 4strokes. they're so much easier to go fast on. far better traction and wide, predictable power delivery.

I assumed he was considering going from a 450 4stroke to a 250 4stroke. . .

get a 250 2 stroke, be happy.[/quote

im on the fence... all my friends ride two stroke but I have no problems with my four stroke and love how it runs I dont mind the maintenance its not hard. I never rode a newer model 2 stroke though so maybe I should.

get a 250 2 stroke, be happy.

I completely agree.The 250 2Ts are very good bikes.If you get used to using the clutch then the bike will be great plus there like 20-30 pounds lighter.

It all depends what you want out of your new bike.

I happen to be sitting on the same fence as you. I have an 05 CRF 450r and am thinking of trading it in for a newer 250f. Deciding which 250 is a whooolllle other debate for me too!

But the tracks around my place are mostly tight and I am not using my 450 to its full potential at all, and the handling isnt so great, I really feel like the 250f would give me faster lap times, and I am really considering racing beginner class next year.

If your just playing around on the tracks and trail riding, stick with the 450 cause its a blast to rip around with, but if you want to race and are concerened with lap times, switch to the 250f (at least this is what the local riders have been telling me).

I assumed he was considering going from a 450 4stroke to a 250 4stroke. . .

oops.:smashpc:

I am planning to start racing next season I think ill have to try one out on the track and see if I like it. See I never thought about it until a pretty good deal came up my buddy bought a left over 08 rmz 250 from the dealership at the beginning of the season and he never rides it his mom bought it for him literally took it out in his backyard 5 times. He said he'll sell it for 3g's which is a deal for basically a brand new bike. I guess ill borrow it next time I go up to the track see if like it.

Thats not a bad deal at all!

I guess it also depends on what type of people you want to race.

It seems like the 450 class is more vet riders and is a little more easier going, whereas the 250 class is generally filled with younger eager riders who arent worried about going to work the next day.

Something else to think about.