Sign in to follow this  

First dirt bike help

Hi i'm looking to buy my first dirt bike have ridden once on a 125 Kawasaki. I'm 17 6'2 170 lbs looking at a 250 2 stroke some thing like this: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2618688400.html

I know I will have to be extremely careful will only be riding on old logging roads that are all around our town. they are straight and flat. I'm not your normal 17 year old who will just jump on a dirt bike and see how fast they can go I want to get to know it first and work into it.

I have ridden many quads but after riding a dirt bike it does not seem to compare in all aspects.

Thanks in advanced!

oh yeah it will be a few months before buying

Hi i'm looking to buy my first dirt bike have ridden once on a 125 Kawasaki. I'm 17 6'2 170 lbs looking at a 250 2 stroke some thing like this: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2618688400.html

I know I will have to be extremely careful will only be riding on old logging roads that are all around our town. they are straight and flat. I'm not your normal 17 year old who will just jump on a dirt bike and see how fast they can go I want to get to know it first and work into it.

I have ridden many quads but after riding a dirt bike it does not seem to compare in all aspects.

Thanks in advanced!

oh yeah it will be a few months before buying

🤣:lol:🤣

I'm 17, 6'2", and 175lbs! You wouldn't happen to have brown hair and greenish/grey eyes would you? :smashpc:

I ride a CR250, after I had my KE100 for 4-5 months. Just like you, I took it slow, but I had a few years riding mopeds and BMX on me, so now, 6 months after getting my CR250, I'm riding it pretty hard, still don't like jumps though.

I've asked around and everyone I've talked to said I would be perfectly suited for a CR500, even rode one, perfect. Just don't have money for the gas🤣

YZ250s are great, I was this close to getting one but it sold before I had the money:banghead:. Obviously I really like CRs, very reliable, balanced, etc.

Any 250 2T will suit you perfectly, just remember, it WILL throw you right off anyway it can. My bike is always trying to find ways to kill me, everytime I go riding it's just another power struggle between us. :busted:

Good luck! Subbed! 👍

🤣:lol:🤣

I'm 17, 6'2", and 175lbs! You wouldn't happen to have brown hair and greenish/grey eyes would you? 👍

I ride a CR250, after I had my KE100 for 4-5 months. Just like you, I took it slow, but I had a few years riding mopeds and BMX on me, so now, 6 months after getting my CR250, I'm riding it pretty hard, still don't like jumps though.

I've asked around and everyone I've talked to said I would be perfectly suited for a CR500, even rode one, perfect. Just don't have money for the gas 😛

YZ250s are great, I was this close to getting one but it sold before I had the money:banghead:. Obviously I really like CRs, very reliable, balanced, etc.

Any 250 2T will suit you perfectly, just remember, it WILL throw you right off anyway it can. My bike is always trying to find ways to kill me, everytime I go riding it's just another power struggle between us.🤣

Good luck! Subbed! :busted:

+1

Im 13 170 ibs and 5'11" and my 00 kx250 wants to kill me...LOL i can handle it, it just has a personality of its own.:smashpc:

You will be fine on a 250 2 stroke. It really depends on the terrain on how powerful they are. If you are riding in an area where the tires can really grip, you will be ripping power wheelies easy. Where I ride in the desert, a 250 2 stroke really isnt that overpowering because whenever you get on the throttle hard you just get a ton of wheel spin. Hard packed dry dirt with a thin layer of soft sand on top = wheel spin for days :smashpc:

As said, as long as you're careful you'll be fine. They're are a bunch of boneheaded kids on here that think they can handle anything. Go out and buy themselves a 250 2T, grab a handfull of throttle and eat it hard.

Just find the best deal on the cleanest, best taken care of bike. I would suggest staying away from an example like what you've shown though. Stickers plastered all over a bike aren't exactly a good sign, 1,800 is too much for an 01 as well. Just find a bike at a reasonable price and one that you know has been taken care of.

I would have to agree with Loopy on this one...there are a bunch of young guys on this site who will tell you to buy anything. Luckily for guys like yourself, there are others with some experience to speak from. If you were riding tracks or technical trails, I would steer you away from a 250 2t. However, seeing that you will be riding fire roads and such, it may be ok. As mentioned, remember that a 250 2t is really not a beginner bike and it will put you on your a$$ in a second.

I would have to agree with Loopy on this one...there are a bunch of young guys on this site who will tell you to buy anything. Luckily for guys like yourself, there are others with some experience to speak from. If you were riding tracks or technical trails, I would steer you away from a 250 2t. However, seeing that you will be riding fire roads and such, it may be ok. As mentioned, remember that a 250 2t is really not a beginner bike and it will put you on your a$$ in a second.

:smashpc: Yeah I forgot to mention that, thanks for bringing it up.

Considering your height, age, weight, and experience I would recommend a 125 for at least a year or two if you insist on riding a two stroke.

You can do everything you'd ever want to do on a 250 2 stroke on a much safer and still fast as hell 125.

I had 125 two strokes from the time I was 14 till I was 20 and I'm one of the fastest riders around when it comes to the trails.

When I was 20 I finally got my first CR250R two stroke and it was awesome but I was glad I became an EXPERIENCED RIDER on a 125 before just jumping on the 250.

I know WAY too many people who have been seriously hurt on 250 two strokes.

Even some of the best riders in the world get hurt on 250 two strokes because they are far less predictable than the 4 strokes or 125 2 strokes.

I now ride a honda CRF450r with a 498 big bore kit pushing over 60 hp and smoke everyone around... but I'm still glad I worked my way up and didn't kill myself by overestimating myself or underestimating a 250 two stroke.

Keep yourself healthy and work your way up buddy. 250's are no joke.

Considering your height, age, weight, and experience I would recommend a 125 for at least a year or two if you insist on riding a two stroke.

You can do everything you'd ever want to do on a 250 2 stroke on a much safer and still fast as hell 125.

I had 125 two strokes from the time I was 14 till I was 20 and I'm one of the fastest riders around when it comes to the trails.

When I was 20 I finally got my first CR250R two stroke and it was awesome but I was glad I became an EXPERIENCED RIDER on a 125 before just jumping on the 250.

I know WAY too many people who have been seriously hurt on 250 two strokes.

Even some of the best riders in the world get hurt on 250 two strokes because they are far less predictable than the 4 strokes or 125 2 strokes.

I now ride a honda CRF450r with a 498 big bore kit pushing over 60 hp and smoke everyone around... but I'm still glad I worked my way up and didn't kill myself by overestimating myself or underestimating a 250 two stroke.

Keep yourself healthy and work your way up buddy. 250's are no joke.

Good point, but 250 2Ts aren't as big of a deal as some people make them out to be... If you're careful and have a brain (yes, some of us don't..) you could ride a CR500 for your first bike. wouldn't be nearly as fun, couldn't ride it very hard, but pistons would last for years, and you'd literally never get bored, ever.

I love how some people have made this into such a controversial subject. :smashpc:

You can do tons a research and thinking about what bike to get, but when the rubber hits the road (literally), and you're riding that bike, everything changes.

Yeah if you want to get all technical sure you could get a cr500 as your first bike... but I guarantee your first bike wasn't a cr500 and if it was I bet you got hurt on it.

There is no such thing as being 100% responsible 100% of the time on a dirt bike.

My point is to become an EXPERIENCED rider on something easily predictable before thinking you're a bad ass and jumping on a 250 2t as your first bike.

Show me one guy who started out at 17 on a 500 2 stroke that didn't break at least one bone on it.

@twistedkeys... I didn't realize that you are only 17 yourself.

I am not going to argue with someone who doesn't have enough time on a bike to know the differences.

I've been riding/racing longer than you've been alive.

@twistedkeys... I didn't realize that you are only 17 yourself.

I am not going to argue with someone who doesn't have enough time on a bike to know the differences.

I've been riding/racing longer than you've been alive.

I respect that, I'm just sharing what I know about when I got my first 250 2T 6 months ago, still a little fresh out of the buying process. Which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

By the way, I was this close to getting a 500 if I had the money, sure I would have busted my rear as much or more then my 250, but at least with me I have a sense to not go too fast at times, because I know it could go downhill real quick (literally :smashpc:). In other words, I have a very adult-like mentality - I was homeschooled.

Didn't see you list any intention of racing MX..... So why not try and find a XR400. Bulletproof, will last for years (no matter how hard you work at breaking it), good usable power band, lot's of room to grow as a rider, LOT's of aftermarket parts. Just my .02 :smashpc:

The XR 400 sure would be heavy and cumbersome coming off of a 125, but it would be a hell of alot safer than a 250. As I mentioned before, the step for a complete newbie going from a 125 2t to a 250 2t is large...regardless of what some think. For the record, I have owned all three bikes I have just mentioned...the XR about 1 year ago.

He's a big kid. Probably NOT shrinking yet. And he doesn't have a 125 yet, sayin just start with the XR. Then when the time comes to step it up he could switch to a 450 and think it's light.:smashpc: Plus the XR is an awsome bike in the way it's so forgiving of errors. I never liked 125s though. My progrssion back in the day was 100 for 2.5 yrs, 125 for 2 months, 250s and 500s after that till the 2000 WR 4str came out. I really prefer the new 4str power. Love my CRF! Just thinkin' when I was 17 not lot's of extra cash, saving for school etc. just sayin'. XRs are bomb proof!!:busted:👍

@twistedkeys Everybody learns at a different rate so if you can handle your 250 2 stroke and not hurt yourself on it over the next couple years than that's awesome. 500's are literally TWICE as snappy, fast, and unpredictable as your 250 though... just keep that in mind. Very few people ever use the full potential of their 500's, they just get them to say they have a 500 :smashpc:. Nobody races MX on a 500 2 stroke... take a look around. The only place you can really open up a 500 and ride it to it's full potential is in the sand dunes. I've ridden 500 two strokes in the dunes and they ROCK but they would be too much to enjoy in the trails or on the MX track. Don't be "that guy" who get's a 500 just to brag. KEEP THIS IN MIND: IT'S SKILLS THAT DEFINE THE RIDER, NOT THE BIKE HE RIDES. I can smoke guys who ride XR650's on my YZ125 2 stroke... Anyone can go fast in a straight line... It's the turns, jumps, and whoops that set apart the posers from the riders with TRUE skills.