Sign in to follow this  

Bike for a ten year old girl..?

I got her on a KLX 110 and that seemed to fit her nicely. Maybe I will go with that...but I know almost nothing about those bike ranges. I got her on a CRF100 but that was much too big for her and he little hands couldn't reach the clutch.

I also do not know how serious she is about riding...but bikes seem to hold their value really well in the used range..

Some questions:

DRZ 110 vs KLX 110?

TTR-90? What about the Hondas...CR80, 70?

Thanks

Yeah, if she isn't big enough for the CRF100, I am not sure that a CR500 will be any better for her, but I will keep that in mind.......thanks........a lot. For that.

Well, not much interest in posting any points for or against the bikes I listed. So I guess I will just ask for your ideas on one.

KLX 110 vs TTR 90? Anyone decide on one over the other? Thanks

In that size and category (beginner put-put bikes) they're all about a horse a piece, none are really head and shoulders above any of the others.

Really, what I'm trying to say is they all are pretty durable and reliable, will give years of trouble free kid riding.

Here's what I'd do-shop hard on CL for a clean, used bike at the best price you can find. Buy that one. Then when she's outgrown it or gotten sick of riding, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

That's what I've done with all my kids bikes, and I've broken even or made a few hundred every sale. Not counting wear items like tires, brakes, etc.

The KLX110 has huge aftermarket support, so the bike can "grow" with her.... remember to keep it FUN for her too

Well, there's about a 1000 question/responses towards the same thing. Try google!

I don't want to try Google. I want to have a current discussion on it on the internet on a site that talks specifically about motorcycles and has a forum specifically dedicated to it called, "WHAT BIKE SHOULD I BUY?"

Seems like I may have come to the right place. Not sure why you are here though. :smashpc:

• Angry 1

Thanks guys, I was actually thinking along the lines you just mentioned. I was pitching it to my wife saying that even if she doesn't like it long term the used bike market is such that if I find a great deal we can ride it for a year or two and sell it more-or-less for how much we got it.

For whatever reason I see the Yamaha TTR 90 having the best deals in the area. They go for (asking) $650-950, whereas the KLX 110's seem to command a slightly higher asking price, maybe $800 - $1200. And it is for a ten year old girl so the differences are probably negligible.....but that is why I wanted to ask....I don't know much about the segment and didn't want to make a regrettable mistake. Thanks!:smashpc:

You might look for an electric start. I think the Yamaha's have it. Might help her stay into it. Kick starting is tough for kids(kinda demotivates them if they can't do it), once the bike falls over its even worse.

My only complaint with the KLX110 is the size of the wheels in relation to the size of the rocks around here. That can take some of the fun out of it for her and for you when you're following or waiting a while for them because they're too intimidated to go any faster due to being bounced around.

My 10 year old son sits easily flat-footed on his with a Two Bros tall seat, so he may have been better off starting on a CRF80 a year ago. The CRF100 seems like a good fit for him now. Since this sounds like a bad fit for her, I'd see if she would be comfortable on the 80.

If the clutch is going to be the issue for her, I'd definitely go with the KLX. She may also end up needing to pick the bike up herself, so that is something else to consider. Yep, electric start would be good, as long as you have a backup starting method. We found out just how important that was this weekend.

You might look for an electric start. I think the Yamaha's have it. Might help her stay into it. Kick starting is tough for kids(kinda demotivates them if they can't do it), once the bike falls over its even worse.

Electric start was a big part of me buying my daughter a TTR 110. I wanted her fun factor to be as high as possible. I know if she has a good time the sport will stick but if she doesn't she will loose interest. When you have a kid that really wants to ride it doesn't matter but if you are trying to get them into it electric start could be the difference between them loving it or quitting. Just my 2 Cents. Good luck and have fun.

As far as the bikes go I think they all are good for their purpose. If you don't go for electric start just find the cleanest condition / best price bike.

Thanks guys, I was actually thinking along the lines you just mentioned. I was pitching it to my wife saying that even if she doesn't like it long term the used bike market is such that if I find a great deal we can ride it for a year or two and sell it more-or-less for how much we got it.

For whatever reason I see the Yamaha TTR 90 having the best deals in the area. They go for (asking) $650-950, whereas the KLX 110's seem to command a slightly higher asking price, maybe $800 - $1200. And it is for a ten year old girl so the differences are probably negligible.....but that is why I wanted to ask....I don't know much about the segment and didn't want to make a regrettable mistake. Thanks!:smashpc:

I think that has to do with the popularity of the KLX for the pit bike crowd (more demand, higher price).

And heck, even if she totally hates riding, dad has a pit bike now.....👍

I got her on a KLX 110 and that seemed to fit her nicely. Maybe I will go with that...but I know almost nothing about those bike ranges. I got her on a CRF100 but that was much too big for her and he little hands couldn't reach the clutch.

I also do not know how serious she is about riding...but bikes seem to hold their value really well in the used range..

Some questions:

DRZ 110 vs KLX 110?

TTR-90? What about the Hondas...CR80, 70?

Thanks

I had my daughter on a crf80 at 9 and it was the perfect size. I did a very simple mod to the clutch lever so it would work.

You can drill a small hole and put a screw in it to hold the clutch lever closer to the handlebar where she could reach it. Then, adjust some slack in the cable. It was perfect for my daughter. You need small drill, a small tap and a screw. It will take you 20 mins to do.