Sign in to follow this  

ktm 380 forks

Have a 98 380 exc. Forks are done inside. Just bought it and had leaking seals, pulled them apart and poured water out of inside! Pitted and rusty. Put new seals, dust seals and oil, hoping for miracle, first ride, leaking. have to replace forks and have only found 43mm instead of the stock 50 mm on there. If I change the triple clamps, will the 43mm forks bolt up ok? Including caliper? Just wondered if anyone else had this problem. Thanks

It should all bolt right up with new triple clamps. Usually pretty easy to find a set on fleabay. I have made my 43's work pretty darn good but some folks will say you need to get the newer stuff which I am sure is better but the question is how much do you want to spend?

Sorry for the bad news.

You will need not only the top clamps but the front wheel, axle, caliper adapter (carrier), and spacers as the 43mm forks have a 20mm axle (yours is 17).

Where are you in TX? I have an entire front end off of a 2000 EXC which will bolt right up. (I'm near El Paso.)

Before replacing them I would replace all the bushings.. I had a 98 380 EXC and every few years i had to replace bushings to get the leaking stopped..

Other than that those are some magic forks..

I've used 50mm, 43mm, and 48mm forks on my 380s. I ended up back with the 43s. Some love those 50mm forks. All the triple clamps will bolt right onto the frame. Brake calipers will switch. The wheels are different due to the axle diameter. The good news is you can find the older shocks around the $100 range but expect to re-build them.

Before you do any buying pull those forks apart and give them a good inspection. You may be able to clean them up, re-build and be on your way.

Joe........

I've got a set of bushings for them if you are interested let me know, I don't have any of those forks any longer.