Sign in to follow this  

Modify WP from Motocross to Enduro?

I got a Ktm EXC 300 2002 and riding mostly enduro with it. But as i have improved my riding i think the original fork and shock absorber is to soft.

Riding the trail works pretty good, but really big bumps and jumps make my suspension "go through".

I was thinking about taking the fork and rear shock absorber from my other bike. A Sx 125 2003, and modify it to become a little softer on the small bumps and rocks.

I think it would be better to have a dual-chamber fork etc.

Anyone who can share som info about modifying the shimstack from Motocross to enduro?

they didn't get tc forks till 2007? just modify your stuff as it's probably a you need , have you got the correct springs and saf readings and tried making it stiffer with the clickers ? perfect suspension IMO is often a too soft setup with a bit more clickers to dial it in

I have max oil level (new oil, bushings, and sealings) in the fork and correct sag. The rear suspension also got correct sag and have recently got new oil, gas and sealings.

The problem isn't only that the suspension ain't hard enough. It's that when having it soft enough to have traction when theres a lot of small stones, it's way to soft when there's sections with "woopies". Jumping on the motocross tracks isn't anythink you want to do either with that suspension no matter how i turning the compression screws

The problem isn't only that the suspension ain't hard enough. It's that when having it soft enough to have traction when theres a lot of small stones, it's way to soft when there's sections with "woopies". Jumping on the motocross tracks isn't anythink you want to do either with that suspension no matter how i turning the compression screws

And thats the reason why you need a revalve.

Post your stacks and you will get some help.

Dwight Rudder

Quote:

Have your tuner take about 25% of the compression damping out.

Okey, thank you.

Is there anyway you could tell me how to cange the shims stacks?

I know there's two stacks of shims that are working when in compression mode. I figure that the biggest closest the piston open first and that is one or two of those i have to take away.

Do you know how the damper reacts when changing one or the other of those stacks? Are both working in the same "damping range"?

Thank you very mutch for the answer, i hope not make a lot of trouble for you!

Edited by petnil85

Vietze

Quote:

if you could choose betwen a fork and rear shock absorber from a exc or a sx to work with and modify what would i be then.

I can post the stacks her soon, just have to measure it up.

Riding 150h a year, riding a lot of races in Sweden, my weight is 80kg.

if you could choose betwen a fork and rear shock absorber from a exc or a sx to work with and modify what would i be then.

I can post the stacks her soon, just have to measure it up.

Riding 150h a year, riding a lot of races in Sweden, my weight is 80kg.

Edited by petnil85

when having it soft enough to have traction when theres a lot of small stones, it's way to soft when there's sections with "woopies". Jumping on the motocross tracks isn't anythink you want to do

you cannot have the best of two worlds, ie a suspension good for trail and mx.

It's that simple.

Either you have two sets of forks and shocks to change depending on the track you are riding or you have to compromise on what you mainly want.

Are you doing more trail riding, set it up for trails. are you riding more mx style, set it up for mx.

You want to have a perfect suspension for what you are mainly riding and not a one-fits-none.

Well, I'm no professional Tuner. I cant tell you which set of suspension has the better hardware. maybe they are identical but just different springs/valving. I dont know.

If the SX is a CC, I would pick that one. But 03 wont be one I guess. Both sets are not really fantastic forks...

Its gettin dark and cold in sweden these days, take this to pass time the next evenings:

http://www.suspensiontuninghelp.moonfruit.com/#/suspension-basics/4511681555

Use the small arrows lefthand side the scroll the texts.

Lots of good information there!!!

PS: lucky guy to ride 150 hours

you cannot have the best of two worlds, ie a suspension good for trail and mx.

It's that simple.

Either you have two sets of forks and shocks to change depending on the track you are riding or you have to compromise on what you mainly want.

Are you doing more trail riding, set it up for trails. are you riding more mx style, set it up for mx.

You want to have a perfect suspension for what you are mainly riding and not a one-fits-none.

Thanks for the help boys!

I fully understand that, but i want Enduro suspension that is really stiff at the end. I am never jumping on the motocross tracks just for the fun, it's more that our Enduro races sometimes makes a turn out on a motocross track and i want to get a little bit of airtime. Without pushing the absorbers to the bottom every time.

Most important is that my suspension today ain't possible to tune with the screws so i can ride good on both small stones, small bumps AND large bumps, whoopies.

Some tracks i ride is pure stone, pure sand, muddy, or just combination of them all.

I thought that a revalved fork with "dual/double chamber" would be able to tune after my taste than just revalving the standard fork. Same idea about the rear shock absorber.

Well, I'm no professional Tuner. I cant tell you which set of suspension has the better hardware. maybe they are identical but just different springs/valving. I dont know.

If the SX is a CC, I would pick that one. But 03 wont be one I guess. Both sets are not really fantastic forks...

Its gettin dark and cold in sweden these days, take this to pass time the next evenings:

http://www.suspensiontuninghelp.moonfruit.com/#/suspension-basics/4511681555

Use the small arrows lefthand side the scroll the texts.

Lots of good information there!!!

PS: lucky guy to ride 150 hours

Thank you! I will read that text.

Yes, Really dark her know! Riding enduro with light's and soon on snowtracks are great. A hole new sport=)

i want Enduro suspension that is really stiff at the end.

that's what they all want :smashpc:

imho the only chance to achieve something like that is using a bleed shim at the mid.

This will give you a plush feeling a slower (suspension) speed and gives you the desired resistance at higher speeds - of course depending on how you put your stack together