Sign in to follow this  

03 drz 400s engine failure need advice

the bike is a 03 suzuki drz 400s, it has a full yoshi exhaust and is very loud,my hearing is bad coz im 76, I had thought I heard a rattle coming from the engine at low rpm and a very slight screeching whooshing type noise under acceleration but with the noisy exhaust it was hard to tell if I was just imagining things, the bike seemed to be running hotter then usual as I could feel it on my legs, but we have had an unusual heatwave here this past week so I thought nothing of it, I had been riding quite hard and then slowed down to cruise along the seafront and check out the Lady's, all of a sudden my bike just cut out, the light stayed on and I indicated to pull over safely to a stop at the side of the road, its not the first time it has just cut out for no apparent reason, this time though I went to start it and it sounded like the battery didn't have enough power to turn the engine, I got on phone to my brother and left bike for a good half hour, I topped up radiator with water and it didn't take much before it went all over the floor, I tried the bike again and it started no problem ,I got on and headed home it seemed ok for about 2 minutes, then the power started to lag and it died again and would not start , the engine was turning over but sounded like it was struggling and just wouldn't fire up. I ended up calling recovery service and they tried all the stuff like check for spark, check fuel so on so on, he said it must be some kind of engine failure...no shit sherlock. anyone had similar problems or have an idea of what this could be best scenario worst scenario? I have another bike I can use but needs to be taxed motd and its an old triumph 800 and I hate it so :smashpc:

hi there , im in Northampton would be quite happy to look at it for you ,

41000 miles 436 Drz.

I would speculate a lubrication problem resulting in over heating. Low on oil? Oil pump failure? Filter or screen plugged up?

thanks for the offer, im in essex at the minute so it wud be bit of a journey, i guess im gonna have to use the triumph and get it taken into garage soon as I get the chance, I just hope they dont try and make a mountain out of a molehill