Sign in to follow this  

Worst Part About A New Chain..

That nasty white grease the manufacturers coat them with. I guess it's to prevent rust while it's waiting to be sold, but that stuff is a mess. I washed it down with Kerosene when I first put it on, getting most of it off. 2 rides (60+ miles total), 2 trips through the car wash, and another bath in Kerosene, STILL feels like there's some of it on there. That stuff attracts dirt and grit like crazy which can't be a good thing.

I've got to cut a coupla links off of it, so when I put it back on I'll go after it with the Kerosene rags again, maybe get the rest of it off.

I've dealt with the grease problem before, but seldom as thick as it was on this chain.:smashpc:

Yea when I got a hold of the chain on my new ktm wow what a mess.

Went out for a ride and all that grease was up into my rear finder:foul:

Took about 3 rides for it to all go away

Same thing here. Regina ORN-6 chain was sticky as heck when brand new. WD-40 with rag and a lot of patience. I believe GrayRacer said in a previous thread he just squirts with Simple Green, lets it sit, then sprays off with low pressure water. Didn't work for me.

It's easy to remove if you do it before mounting the chain- coil it up in a pan, soak with WD and hit it with a scub brush. Several flips back and forth with scubbing, then rinse with HOT water.

It's easy to remove if you do it before mounting the chain- coil it up in a pan, soak with WD and hit it with a scub brush. Several flips back and forth with scubbing, then rinse with HOT water.

I'll try that on the next one.:smashpc:

+1 but I use paint thinner, kerosine or diesel also works; whatever is handy. :smashpc:

Yup. I pour some mineral spirits in a container and drop my chain in. Comes out perfect. Just make sure you lube it up really well.

If you guys are using o-ring chains doesn't the solvent soak into the chain and break down the internal lube if you soak it?

If you guys are using o-ring chains doesn't the solvent soak into the chain and break down the internal lube if you soak it?

This is exactly what I was thinking....

the topic of o-ring chains and lube on this forum seems to be as much a topic of peoples opinion as it does fact, its almost like a 2t v 4t discussion. Some people say wd-40 etc will break down the internal lube and kill it, others say they leave it soaking it in kerosene, diesel, turps, anything and everything!

:S :busted::smashpc:👍

Take a good look at how an o-ring chain is constructed: the o-rings are between the inner and outer plates, but the roller doesn't have any kind of seal to hold lube on the pin. The inner plate is the one that rotates on the pin as it engages and disengages the sprocket. Since it rides against the roller which we agree is open to contaminants, it can get any manner of abrasives in there to work a groove in the pin and oval the inner plate's pivot holes- what we refer to as 'chain stretch'. What the o-ring does accomplish is to keep some lube in the working area and keep some dirt out. Solvent, chain lube, WD-40 and whatever still gets into and works out of a 'sealed' chain.