Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F ?? Enough Power to please 190lbs

Looking at 2003 YZ250F for just trail riding and such. I have'nt rode one and was wondering how it would perform with a 190lb. person ? I'm almost 54 years old so keep that in mind. are shoud I pass for a 450 model ? Thanks...

I started on an 02' YZ250F and rode it for about 6 years on all types of trail. It always had plenty of power for me unless I was riding sand. I'm about 180LBS. I still miss riding that bike. I still own it, but it is in pieces right now. I Moved up to a WR450F a few years ago, and I wouldn't trade the WR for anything except the new FI WR!

I am about 210 and my 2001 wr250f gets me around great. I'm still a bit of a rookie but it feels great to me. Being that I'm still learning I can say that the bike can definitely out-perform me........started riding late in life, first dirt bike at 30yr old/young.

I haven't really done much suspension work to it but I'm starting to see how it can be even better once I get better.

Hope this helps.

The 250F has more than enough power for you. I'm 200 and it throws me around. If your going to be using it on just trails you might want to look at the WR250F. It's built for the trails with softer suspension and electric start. You can do all the free mods and it will have just as much power as the YZ

I'm 185lb and I'll be 50 next year. I got a 2008 yz250f a year ago. It had top end problems when I got it, so I put a 290 top end on it. I also softened the suspension and put a flywheel weight on it for racing harescrambles. It has plenty of power for me and I'm sure I would have been happy with it as a 250. My son's crf250x is fine.

I'll have to agree with everyone else - power to me is amazing for a 4 stroke - absolutely nothing like the old XR's I am used to. Mine did have a 290 kit when I bought it (in pieces) and after riding my buddies CRF250R mine does have more grunt but I think a 250 would still be plenty for me. As has been said, it's way ahead of my ability (my weight is 215 - workin on that though). Clay

The 250F has more than enough power for you. I'm 200 and it throws me around. If your going to be using it on just trails you might want to look at the WR250F. It's built for the trails with softer suspension and electric start. You can do all the free mods and it will have just as much power as the YZ

To make it run like a YZ it will need YZ cams and exhaust vice just the free mods.

I weigh the same as the bike's displacement but it works good. That said - I am happy to have a 250 smoker too.

E-start is gread on the WR. I've had 3 of these bikes, 2 YZ and 1 WR.... all great. I've gone from 175 up to about 190, and it still works for me..... also 54. Best bikes I've ever owned, bar none. You do have to maintain them, so you have been notified.

Get the 250. I'm 195 without gear and my 07 yz250f hauls me around just fine. I'll get a 450 when I'm certain I'm riding the 250f to it's limit and right now I'm nowhere close.

A few riding buds are in your situation. Their decision differs based on their respective ability and where they ride.

Friend A is about 190 geared up. Pro level rider and racer who finds himself in tight and long trails. He picks a 250F once in a while. He can also afford more than 1 bike.

Friend B is about 190 geared up. Intermediate rider. Does not care to go fast, prefers looooong rides in all terrain. He does not like a 250F but would not trade his 290 for anything in the world. He cannot afford more than 1 bike so the 290 is his 250/450 combo.

Both are 4 stroke fans and would not consider a 250 two stroke.

My dad is 46, 200 lbs. and has a 2004 YZ250F. He says it has plenty of power for him. Takes him wherever he wants to go without any issues.