Why do people rag on 125's?

Just baffled. There are people all over the place raggin on 125's. Its rediculous. How many people here can ride a 125 to its limits, and i mean to its LIMITS. They are built the same size as any other full sized bike, just have a smaller motor and yet people say they are sloooow. I have never met anyone that can ride a 125 to its full potential. My cousin had a 250f and always said my bike was slow, yet he rode my bike and couldnt ride it all that great. So whats the reason for getting a bike you cant handle? Riding a slower bike that you are more comfortable on is better than riding a faster bike you cant handle IMO. What do you guys think?

because for exactly what you said. To be fast you have to be a really good rider which IMO is a good thing. Now adays people are lazy and just want to be fast with no work, therefore we get the 4stroke movement or people who just rip around on 250 2t but really arn't good riders. sure the bikes fast but I've beaten guys on my 85 that are riding 450's. It's all the rider really.

• Like 1

challenge them to race they can ride whatever they want. you beat them, they shut up and walk away with their head down lol.

people think they are so cool cause they can clear a jump when they are on a 450 with ease.. which infact is not that cool. i give a lot of props for people who can ride 125s to its potential :smashpc: plus they are much more fun to ride then any other bike

They think that they are slow because they are used to their 4-stroke low end power. They are to lazy to use the clutch or they never learned how to ride a 125 fast. And some of us are 5'8" 130 lbs (still growing) and don't need more than a 125. I am still learning to ride my bike and maybe it will be easier to go to a 250f, but nothing sounds cooler than a 125 ripping around the track.

because for exactly what you said. To be fast you have to be a really good rider which IMO is a good thing. Now adays people are lazy and just want to be fast with no work, therefore we get the 4stroke movement or people who just rip around on 250 2t but really arn't good riders. sure the bikes fast but I've beaten guys on my 85 that are riding 450's. It's all the rider really.

Or people that rip around on 500 2t's and aren't really all that great <====

:smashpc:

I am sorta in the market for a 125 right now though.

i love my 125 to its just more fun and i haven't found one area where i actually had to have more power it would have been easier with more power but not impossible and now that my bike is a 144 it feels perfect for me but i only weigh 145 but for someone thats around 250 a 125 may not be the best bet lol

This reminds of an encounter I had at the local dunes not to long ago. I was riding with my neighbor who is probably 16 years old and we ran into a kid he happened to know riding a honda 450 quad. I climb a few dunes and begin to watch these two go in a circle and hit the same small jump over and over and over again. They eventually get bored and come over to where I am at and start talking. Well the quad kid starts bragging about what all his dad and him have done to the motor. Ported/polished, milled head yada yada yada. He mentioned that the motor was so fast that he has only been out of third once!

I began to realize that the mentality has become "if 50 horsepower is cool, than 60 must be cooler."

I fantasize over the day that I shoehorn a KDX 200 motor into a modern day 125 chassis!

I had a YZ125 back in the day (1985) (Im old) and of all the bikes I have had since, it was my favorite. I smoked alot of guys on bigger bikes and got smoked too.. One of my best friends would hand my ass to me every time we raced and he was on a RM80. When I think of my old 125 my heart feels warm. Those were awsome days.

Kids are moving from the 80's to the 250f's because is what the MX culture wants. Old school riders who actually moved up and went the the 125's because that was the only option at the time.

Everyone likes to bash what they don't know or understand. How many 2 stroke ride reviews have you read where the younger kids admittedly say they never rode a 125 or 250 but were impressed.

I just switched back to the 2 stroke and couldn't be happier.

76caf91f.jpg

Enough tools and parts in the tool box to replace a top end and clutch and I can do it at the track. If a modern 4 stroke shits the bed at the track you might as well just go home..

There are pros and cons to 125's but, it is guaranteed to make you smile more and become a better rider.

im currently on a 98 yz400f.

I really wish i could have found a yz125 in the same shape (mechanically / condition ) as the 400 when i was shopping.

Id love to have 65lbs get disappeared off the bike.

Bikes are tools. Anyone that doesn't understand that, wont get it:

Not all jobs call for a sledgehammer

Most people ride bikes for fun. Not for a principle. If they like big bikes and bag on small bikes, there isn't anything anyone can say that will change their mind, even if they're wrong. People don't care if they're riding their bike to it's limits. They care if they're having fun.

It's like arguing over which soda is the best. It's preference and you're only arguing for arguments sake. There is no right answer.

This reminds of an encounter I had at the local dunes not to long ago. I was riding with my neighbor who is probably 16 years old and we ran into a kid he happened to know riding a honda 450 quad. I climb a few dunes and begin to watch these two go in a circle and hit the same small jump over and over and over again. They eventually get bored and come over to where I am at and start talking. Well the quad kid starts bragging about what all his dad and him have done to the motor. Ported/polished, milled head yada yada yada. He mentioned that the motor was so fast that he has only been out of third once!

I began to realize that the mentality has become "if 50 horsepower is cool, than 60 must be cooler."

I fantasize over the day that I shoehorn a KDX 200 motor into a modern day 125 chassis!

Its been done many times,it makes a good trail bike but its no KTM 200 and its not as fast as a mx125.Im also looking for a YZ125/144 just because they are so light and nimble in the woods.People also think 125 sounds so small compared to a 250f,but they just dont understand the 2strokes.

KX KDX200 HYBRID

002-11.jpg

Well here's my A hole opinion. I truly believe more people have come to this sport and recreation because of the new 4 strokes. They are easier to ride and easier to learn on. Granted the costs associated with them are not the best experience. When we only had 2 strokes you had to be skilled to have serious fun. You couldn't just slug around and rely on the bike to make up for the riders lack of skill. I feel truly sorry for the kids nowadays who never get the chance to learn on or ride a 2 stroke. They will never be as competitive a rider and that is ashame.

My kids will ride 2 strokes until they get to an age or class that requires a 4 stroke. I myself ditched the 4 stroke movement and returned to the good ol days of premix and mad skills.

Or people that rip around on 500 2t's and aren't really all that great <====

?

I am sorta in the market for a 125 right now though.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I'll openly admit the big bore smoker power makes up for my lack of skill, training, conditioning and finesse.:smashpc: