Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota Duquette / Moose Run Enduro Oct. 8-9

Ok folks, if you've wanted to give Enduros a try or are looking to finish the season on high note, the time has come! Nemadji trail conditions have never been better, thanks to careful management and rider cooperation through this rainy summer.

You'll see some trails you love and some and plenty of new stuff to keep it interesting. More info:

www.straightarrows.org

The Straight Arrow Enduro Riders run the annual Duquette / Moose Run Enduro. It starts in

the town of Duquette MN, about 30 miles south of Duluth on scenic MN Hiway 23. The Enduro

is a long course through Minnesota’s Nemadji State Forest and Douglas County WI, featuring

trails that vary from fast two-tracks to tight singletrack, with an overall distance of 60 – 75

miles. We use the START CONTROL FORMAT, just like the National Enduro Series. No

timing keeping equipment is needed, you are scored by your ability to get your best times in the

tests. This makes it a good first Enduro, yet it’s still a challenge for Enduro veterans. It’s got a

well-deserved reputation as a fun ride for all skill levels.

The Youth Enduro will be held on private land "Super" close to Duquette.

Micro/Macro 1pm Premier, PeeWee & Girls 2pm with a Mom's challenge to wrap up the day! :smashpc:

Camping info should be on the Straight Arrow site, but yes you can camp at the Duquette City Park / Campground / Enduro Start - just take a left after the General store and its about a block down on the right. Don't think there's a fee to camp, but I could be wrong.

Also meant to mention - all riders get lunch (included with entry fee) on Sunday after the race - great way to pass the time before scoring!

Camping info should be on the Straight Arrow site, but yes you can camp at the Duquette City Park / Campground / Enduro Start - just take a left after the General store and its about a block down on the right. Don't think there's a fee to camp, but I could be wrong.

Also meant to mention - all riders get lunch (included with entry fee) on Sunday after the race - great way to pass the time before scoring!

Ok, thanks.

Lunch?!?! :smashpc:

It will be darn near 6pm by the time I get out of the woods starting at 10AM with a 20+ min row, then add in 6 hours and 13 mins, then add in I am slow and will be at that last check about 40 mins late - LOL!

I cannot wait... 👍

@rabbityracer - Thanks for all your help to get this event put on!

Lunch?!?! :smashpc:

It will be darn near 6pm by the time I get out of the woods starting at 10AM with a 20+ min row, then add in 6 hours and 13 mins, then add in I am slow and will be at that last check about 40 mins late - LOL!

I cannot wait... 👍

@rabbityracer - Thanks for all your help to get this event put on!

Look at it this way..if you know there is a nice juicy pulled pork sandwich

waiting for you back in Duquette you may just turn the afterburners on

and make it back "Super" fast! Like that Tim guy does it. :busted:

2 things:

1 I'll make sure to save y'all some potato chips.

2 If you'd like, we can also tell you that "you're almost done!" at every check. This thinking is key to successful enduro riding.

Is the Wall of TV going to ride this one? You should def get on a row with the Staplepuller...I don't think the contending Vet C champ is as slow as advertised!

I'm doing a street ride with a bunch of folks. I'll have Da Wife on da back. Railin' da 'strada.

Is the Wall of TV going to ride this one? You should def get on a row with the Staplepuller...I don't think the contending Vet C champ is as slow as advertised!

I think so! If I actually finish this, I will end up doubling my total riding mileage for the summer.

That being said, I'll be lucky to make it to the 1st gas stop. 👍

👍 How can you be a contending Vet C champ?

I know they changed the rules. I got one race and BANG! You're B class dude. Heck, I raced four more and BANG! You're A class dude. Now I have to ride against people who really take this stuff seriously.

As far as I know, they don't bump you until the next year. But there's also some crazy algorithmic equation that only a math-league champion like Wall of TV's would understand that they also use for the bumpage.

That, and Staplepuller is a sandbagger 👍

Gotta love "fast" guys can never wrap their minds around slower riders:smirk:

When I ride behind guys who are slower than I am I notice two major things in all of them.

1) They only stand up when their seat catches fire.

2) They focus on each and every thing that is on the trail rather than assessing the trail as a whole. You can't ride a trail fast if you are carefully riding over everything that is in it.

Looked like there was a great turn out at the Enduro, I heard 140+ entries. Some great trails - I think there is a new section at Nemadji that is tighter than the poplars section in Mora.

I know some faster riders complained about the long resets or pauses, but there are more slow guys than fast guys and being a slow guy it was nice to get some long rests between the timed sections.

As for being the Vet C champ, in D23 your racing is not the only thing that qualifies you for an off-road year end award. You need to be a member of a club and work an event. It also doesn't help to race Stone Lake - there were 3 guys in Vet C, but sadly I was in the 59% of non-finishers of that race. Enduro's for me are more of a trail ride. $40 to ride arrowed trails for 4-6 hours, what a bargain! Spending the weekend with my family and friends - PRICELESS!

The scores are in, congrats to Wall-TVs on entering and finishing his first enduro(!) and Staplepuller on what looks to be clinching the Vet C #1 plate...nice job Tom and Dan!

As Dan said, finishing high in your class is a combination of both riding and dedicating time to a club and working an event. That's probably been the most fun for me this year - to see these people that come together at every race, some working some riding, and everyone having a good time on both sides. For me, I can honestly say its been fun to finally get involved. Some day I hope to be cutting sadistic trail routes in the Nemadj for all to lose minutes on...👍

And, here's to sandbagging my way to at least top 3 in Sr. C next year!!!