Duquette / Moose Run Enduro Oct. 8-9

When I ride behind guys who are slower than I am I notice two major things in all of them.

1) They only stand up when their seat catches fire.

2) They focus on each and every thing that is on the trail rather than assessing the trail as a whole. You can't ride a trail fast if you are carefully riding over everything that is in it.

All true! And this is exactly what I have to watch following my kids ride all day...hurts my eyes! Don't forget the foot dabbing in every corner, too - I keep trying to tell my son its faster to ride the bike than WALK the dam thing!

I have considered doing the big James Stewart Sr. approach - just take the seat off?

I tried to help out one of my friend's kids on his dreadful technique. He of course was WAY smarter than I am. He poured over lots of moto mags an noticed that the "right" way to corner is on the seat with your foot down. That and you need to ride a low gear, first most of the time for him, so the engine really rips.

That was at Thielman. 15 year old six foot + kid riding first gear in the river bottoms. It was like watching paint dry. He told me was a moto hero he was. Two weeks later I saw him at Zone 33. Slowest guy on the track including the little kids ripping 50s. Still unwilling to take any pointers at all from anyone.

Some kids. You just want to dope slap their helmet right off their head by starting off about half as hard as you need to preform the task and working your way up. It sure couldn't make him any dumber.

When I ride behind guys who are slower than I am I notice two major things in all of them.

1) They only stand up when their seat catches fire.

2) They focus on each and every thing that is on the trail rather than assessing the trail as a whole. You can't ride a trail fast if you are carefully riding over everything that is in it.

I'm probably somewhat a culprit of some of this, except I know it's wrong. I try to keep up off the seat but that's when I seem to make more mistakes. Take this past weekend for instance, the second to last leg, I kept up off the seat as much as I could and made more mistakes than any other leg and yielded a poorer time. Oh well, not sure what elso to do other than more and more practice.

I'm probably somewhat a culprit of some of this, except I know it's wrong. I try to keep up off the seat but that's when I seem to make more mistakes. Take this past weekend for instance, the second to last leg, I kept up off the seat as much as I could and made more mistakes than any other leg and yielded a poorer time. Oh well, not sure what elso to do other than more and more practice.

Could be a lot of things that factor into that - 2nd to last section means you were about 50 miles into it by then? And that wasn't a particularly easy section, either. Most mortals are getting pretty tired by then, and for sure the more worn out I get, the worse I ride - standing, sitting, laying on the tank. I watched the superhumans (AA guys) rip into that last section like it was the first! Dylan Debel tore out of that last start like it was the gate at Anaheim...and all you heard after that was a 'Berg 300 at full throttle all the way through the woods. ?

Dylan Debel tore out of that last start like it was the gate at Anaheim...and all you heard after that was a 'Berg 300 at full throttle all the way through the woods. ?

A few years ago, I ended up on the same minute with Dylan and a Wisconsin rider. After the 4th reset, he asked me "Who was that masked man? I think his throttle is stuck wide open and he just hits the kill switch every so often." I watched him at the next reset and that was a pretty good description of how he rides. The D23 site has a few helmet cam videos from him and it is really interesting to see the trails from his point of view and listen to the bike really sing.

Paul

I also got to work this event this year and I had a great time. Got to meet Staple Puller (congrats on the win) and a bunch of wonderful guys from SAER.

Too bad Treesmacker couldn't control the awsome power of his TTR125. Hope you heal fast.

Paul