Sign in to follow this  

RMX or DRZ transmission in an 01 Rm 250?

I picked up a clapped out 01 for almost nothing. I initially thought the clutch cable was over tightened and not allowing the clutch to disengage fully, but it seems as if there is something not right internally. Since I am going to have to open her up and replace parts, why not Burger King it and have it my way.

Basically wondering if it possible to "WR" this bike with a tranny from an RMX 250 or even a DRZ 250/400 (without some serious machining.)

Nobody here has talked about doing it. I was thinking of it since it would work awesome for my desert racing, but have yet to find a loaner trans set to fit to my cases. I have been looking for RMX and totally forgot about a DRZ gearbox. HHMM!

If you come up with anything good let me know! I want it for the exact same reason!

I think the RMX and newer RM250 transmission are too different to swap. There's like 12 years of evolution in the RM and the RMX stayed the essentially the same since '89. The RM went though two complete re-dos.

You can occasionally find DRZ transmissions on that auction site for cheap. Please give it a go and let us know; you'd be a hero on this site.

I was able to talk to Mike Webb but he would not let on to the swap, perhaps for liability reasons.

Good to hear from you John. Hope all is well with you. I may give it a whirl and if it doesn't work, I could sell the tranny on ebay!

What would be the advantage? I was looking to getting closer ratios for first and second

I would love this on an RM 295. that's one thing the YZ big bore guys have on us

I would love this on an RM 295. that's one thing the YZ big bore guys have on us

Big ugly white marks on their blue fenders??? They can keep them, I dont want them.LOL!:smashpc:

A DRZ 4th and 5th gear install, or RMX trans install into an RM250 has been discussed before, but no one has ever tried and if they did they never posted the results.

You could always try to contact Eddie Sisneros and see if he has an idea if it's possible, as he's most likely rebuilt more DRZ motors than most of us added together. If anything he might be able to give you a worn out 5th gear set out of a DRZ then then you could just try to fit it yourself.

It really would be nice to know.