Sign in to follow this  

How do you know you're ready...

for a 250 2-stroke?

I've currently got a 250f and I've only been riding for a year and a half. It was my first bike. I am 160 to 165lbs and ride mostly motocross(practice days or practice tracks). At this point I'm not using all the 250f has and am still figuring things out. I've got a pretty good handle on it but have some close calls sometimes. I think I want a 250 2t when I'm ready for more power just not sure how to tell when I will be able to handle it. All the talk about the "hit" of a 250 and how the power is delivered and being a handful at times makes me alittle nervous about switching. Also I understand jumping is different and don't want to loop out or anything.

If you feel comfortable on the 250F and want more power I would say go for it. I rode my dads 250F a few times over the period of about one year before buying my first bike, which was a two stroke YZ250. Without any of us seeing how well you ride it is hard to give too much advice.

In response to the "hit" of the two stroke. I think you will find modern two strokes to be fairly consistent power wise. You will be amazed how low you can bog a 250 two stroke.

I say try it out, if you don't like it you can always sell it and buy something else.

Don't get scared from all the BS talk about 2 strokes on these boards. 99% of it is false.

250 2 strokes are pretty smooth power wise. I went from an '07 CRF250R to an '03 CR250R and really power wise they aren't that much different. I believe a test was done a couple years ago by a mag testing a YZ250 vs a YZ250F and the result was mixed.

I laugh when I read all the BS posted on these boards about 2 strokes. Half the people on here are scared to death of them from reading all the lies.

I believe a test was done a couple years ago by a mag testing a YZ250 vs a YZ250F and the result was mixed.

I believe it was MXA. They have done it again in the current issue with the KTM 250SX-F vs the 250SX. Pretty much the same result as before. 250f more consistent lap times. 250SX 2t both the fastest and the slowest lap times. 250 2t better finishes mostly due to better starts. Fun factor 250 2t.

Some of the talk doesn't scare me so much as make me a bit nervous. I know I want to get a 250 2t someday just not sure when to make the switch. I'm hoping I can try one out before too long. That'll really help to actually ride one.

Don't get scared from all the BS talk about 2 strokes on these boards. 99% of it is false.

I laugh when I read all the BS posted on these boards about 2 strokes. Half the people on here are scared to death of them from reading all the lies.

For clarification, to which lies are you referring?

I would go for it, if you know how to handle, shift, ride, etc. a bike already.. It's going to have a little more power in different areas, but a bike's a bike...

It is going to be heavier though, so start pumping some iron.

for a 250 2-stroke?

At this point I'm not using all the 250f has and am still figuring things out. I've got a pretty good handle on it but have some close calls sometimes. I think I want a 250 2t when I'm ready for more power just not sure how to tell when I will be able to handle it. All the talk about the "hit" of a 250 and how the power is delivered and being a handful at times makes me alittle nervous about switching. Also I understand jumping is different and don't want to loop out or anything.

If you are not using all the power of your 250f than I dont think you are ready for a 250 2stroke.What do you mean by close calls? A 250 has just about as much power as a 450f and once they come on the pipe they do have some kind of hit but not like people say,they have never ridden a 2stroke since the 80s.I say wait till your are more confident in your riding or start with a newer 125 2stroke.

My most recent close calls have been from casing a step up or double and the bike getting squirelly when the rear rebounded. Almost losing the rear in a flat loose corner. Don't know if it'll be harder to save the 250 2t if I get into abit of trouble.

For clarification, to which lies are you referring?

there r too many to go through all of them hahaha

I honestly didn't read all of the replies. It's not a 200hp superbike. If you can ride a motorcycle, you can ride a 250 2 stroke. It's really not that scary or hard.

On a 250 2t there is a funny tube on the right of the handlebar, turn it towards you for fear and away from you to reduce fear...

Seriously try it out and feel if you like it or not, its a bit tricky at times for bad riders like me but it wont snort and hurl you at the nearest tree without warning. New two strokes are very rideable.

2t's are a lot of fun. 250's are a great size for just about any type of OHV riding. The garbage you hear/read about "power hit" and "too much power" is bunk. Learn to ride the bike and enjoy.

on two strokes in general, cheaper to maintain, easier to work on (for the most part) and you never get bored of them! i could zip a 125 back and forth in my front yard for days and not get bored! :smashpc:

I believe it was MXA. They have done it again in the current issue with the KTM 250SX-F vs the 250SX. Pretty much the same result as before. 250f more consistent lap times. 250SX 2t both the fastest and the slowest lap times. 250 2t better finishes mostly due to better starts. Fun factor 250 2t.

Some of the talk doesn't scare me so much as make me a bit nervous. I know I want to get a 250 2t someday just not sure when to make the switch. I'm hoping I can try one out before too long. That'll really help to actually ride one.

Can you show where that test is?!

Its hard to compare going from a 250 4 stroke to a 250 2 stroke, they are pretty different bikes to ride. Not only is the powerband on the 4 stroke much wider, but its tractable power is considerably greater. This means, its much easier to ride a 4 stroke then a 2 stroke, no matter how small or big the bore is. The 2 stroke will just spin the rear tire coming out of corners where the 4 stroke will grip. This means, the rider spends more of their time manhandling the bike around, shifting gears, using the clutch, consuming energy. Its fun for us 2 stroke guys to ride a 4 stroke because they're SOOOO much easier. When you open the throttle, the rear grips, the bike goes forward, its not like that on a 2 stroke. So thats the first big thing to think about; energy use and tractability.

With that being said, (out of all the 2 strokes) the most tractable bike is probably the 250 because it has the torque of a 450 4 stroke, but put into a much narrower rev-range. So its a light switch of torque and then a burst of power. People who haven't ridden real 2 strokes, might get a bit skittish of the top end, but it doesn't take much time to get use to it. You'll make mistakes because you'll be use to pinning the 4 stroke and if you pin the 250 2 stroke, it will probably bite ya at some point. But once you get use to it, no problem, they're a blast to ride, much more energetic then a silly 4 stroke.

Personally, I would ride someone's modern 250 2 stroke before you make the decision. Its a completely different world, you will have to pick up a whole host of new skills to ride one well and it might not be worth it for you in the long run. Most 2 stroke owners underestimate the excess of skills they have in order to ride one. I've put a few of my 4 stroke riding buddies on my 2 stroke's and watched them unable to ride. Yet when I get on a 4 stroke, I can literally tear the track a new ass-hole. LOL :smashpc: All of that to say, 2 strokes built new riding skills and in some ways thats good, in other ways it will slow you down until you figure it out.

I'm 13 years old and went from a Drz125L trail beginner bike, to a brand new 2000 KX250 2T.Well when i switched from the Drz to the Kx i only had about 1 yr of riding under my belt but i could ride that Drz Really good.I worked for about 4 months 8 hour days 5 days a week to buy my kx, and well it was so worth it.:smashpc:

I have put about 1/2 a season on my Kx now,And the whole time i was riding i was smiling.Just respect the bike and the bike respect you.Don't hop on it like a Drunken ******* and pin it or the bike will hurt you.I can honestly say i ride the Kx really comfortably now.I havent even wrecked it but have came close a few times.

BTW: I'm 13 5'10" 160 Ibs

My most recent close calls have been from casing a step up or double and the bike getting squirelly when the rear rebounded. Almost losing the rear in a flat loose corner. Don't know if it'll be harder to save the 250 2t if I get into abit of trouble.

Is your suspension set up for your weight and the way you ride,that might also be a problem.

Is your suspension set up for your weight and the way you ride,that might also be a problem.

Not sure. The guy I got it from said it had Motoworks susp. and was set up for a 155lb rider I believe. He also said it was the guy he got it from's mx practice bike(guy I got it from rode woods). I reset the sag at the start of summer. For the most part it feels good but sometimes the front feels alittle stiff on landing. I need to work with the clickers probably.

I think my biggest concern with the two stroke is jumping. I'm still not the most comfortable in the air and I read that jumping technique is alittle different. I'm not too concerned with cornering but maybe I should be.