Sign in to follow this  

Short Back to Honda (450)

Interesting....

Andrew Short’s 2012 racing plans are now known—he’s the first rider to join the much-rumored-about Larry Brooks/Jeremy McGrath Honda team. This puts Shorty back on the CRF450R he loved so much. Most of the team details are still being worked out, and even Shorty doesn’t know about sponsors or a potential teammate. We rang him up to find out what he does know.

Racer X Online: Explain what is happening here. You have a ride set for next year.

Andrew Short: Well, first off, I’m departing Red Bull and KTM, and I want to thank those guys. They’re a good bunch of people, and I had a lot of fun over there, especially with Frankie [Latham] my mechanic. It was a good year, but I’m really excited to go back to Honda to work with some old and some new people. It’s a great bike and I’m looking forward to getting some holeshots again. And I’m looking forward to working with Larry and Jeremy. Jeremy was always my hero growing up, and still is to this day, and Larry, who has been very successful in the past.

We’ve heard rumors about this team for a long time. Larry Brooks and Jeremy McGrath are running it, but you will have factory Honda support?

Yeah, Honda has a big role in this team. For me, I kind of know how this program works. I rode Hondas for six years, and I believe it’s the best bike out there. That was a key element. And Jeremy’s relationship with Honda is very close, so it goes hand in hand that he would work with them, and I have a relationship with Honda as well. I can continue where I left off.

The first thing people are going to think when they hear Brooks and McGrath running a team is, “That’s going to be a supercross-only team!” Is that true or not?

No. They are committed to both, supercross and outdoors. That was one of the first questions I asked as well, motocross is obviously very important to me. Colorado is one of my favorite events of the year, and the whole motocross series is great. I think they recognize the fact that it’s a big part of racing, for their sponsors, the team and the goals they want to achieve.

You broke your elbows at the end of the summer. Are you even able to ride right now? And what does this say about this team, to hire you anyway even though you ended the year injured?

No, I can’t ride right now, I need a few more weeks. I should be able to ride supercross the first of November, so I’ll have two months to get ready. I think they’ve seen what I’ve accomplished in the past, and those two are some of the best coaches in the business. I think they can help me get to the next level, and I think they recognize that if I get back on the 450, they believe I can make that last step. Honestly, I haven’t been at the same level as the guys who have been winning, as far as speed. I honestly believe in my heart and my mind that Larry and Jeremy can help take me to another level, and try to get some wins. Eventually the goal is a championship, but you can’t even think about a championship until you win a race—and there are five guys right now who are incredibly fast, and I need to go to another level to win races against them.

How much do even know about the team? Do you know if there will be a teammate? Do you know much?

Basically, all I care about is, I want to work with my hero, Jeremy, and Larry, who, I don’t even know how many championships he’s won, but I know it’s a lot. Next to Mitch Payton, he’s one of the most successful team managers in the sport. And I know what I’m getting with factory Honda bikes—you can’t get any better. That’s all I cared about and that’s about all I know about the team right now. I’m getting older, and I need to do everything I can do to make myself better as an athlete. I think this team gives me the opportunity to do that.

Edited by rickk
  • Like 1

"and I’m looking forward to getting some holeshots again"

No more 350 for short!

This is about to be the biggest joke in the sport... "The minus 100cc gives a disadvantage", "you need a 450 to pull holeshots".

Blow me. 350cc is enough for the world champion, should be enough for Shorty also, but his talent is at least 100cc down compared to the Ryans.

Anyone remember the MXdN? Herlings made holeshot in race two on his 350. Roczen smoked RD on his 250.

Riding in the deep sand at Valkenwaard Herlings was a full 4 seconds faster on his 250 than ANY 450-pilot.

It is not about the bike...

I have a strange feeling 9 out of 10 americans think 350cc is enough for the "slow european riders" but the "fast american riders" on the "fast american tracks" need at least 450cc.....

Correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

This is about to be the biggest joke in the sport... "The minus 100cc gives a disadvantage", "you need a 450 to pull holeshots".

Blow me. 350cc is enough for the world champion, should be enough for Shorty also, but his talent is at least 100cc down compared to the Ryans.

Anyone remember the MXdN? Herlings made holeshot in race two on his 350. Roczen smoked RD on his 250.

Riding in the deep sand at Valkenwaard Herlings was a full 4 seconds faster on his 250 than ANY 450-pilot.

I have a strange feeling 9 out of 10 americans think 350cc is enough for the "slow european riders" but the "fast american riders" on the "fast american tracks" need at least 450cc.....

And RV beat the whole world in the U.S on a 250 Kawi....But you are talking about a few specific instances (outliers). I promise they rode the wheels off their 250's as well....Kinda like what you need to do to keep up with 450 when on a 350. The 350 has the top end to compete, but the low end is where a 450 will eat it alive. Otherwise, a super fun bike, Thomas. AC takes very wide lines (250 style) and is a master at riding the bike like that....I am not so lucky so I need help. :smashpc:

You are wrong ! Respectfully speaking. And it's more about the bike on this level than people want to admit otherwise they wouldnt be spending the money to make them better. I'm not saying someone cant have a few lucky starts on a 350, hell even Mikey got one or two but for the majority of the time no way !

"and I’m looking forward to getting some holeshots again"

No more 350 for short!

hate to be neg but the top guys can come from the back and win ,when AS holeshoted in the recent past he got beat anyway , that has to suck

The 350 is only good for taking top 5 finishers and turning them into top 15 guys :smashpc:

There is one thing you forget here Thomas, and it´s a big thing ! Remember that production rule that came in play around 1986 in US ? Well...to sum it all up: The "350´s" that the European guys ride in world mx racing can´t be compared to those ridden by Short and Alessi this past season. The US version is based on a production bike. The ones ridden by Cairoli and Nagl can be changed all around just to fit the riders...totaly factory bikes. And to be completely honest...Max Nagl rode great on the ktm450 in 2010. In 2011 he rode the 350 and the results faded ! The only one that really shine so far on the 350 is Cairoli.

I'm just glad that this move seams to already be improving his confidence and that he is excited. Maybe working with MC and Brooks is the step he needs to hit the nxt level. Time will tell......

PS.... The 350 is a great bike..........for off-road!

This is about to be the biggest joke in the sport... Blow me.

You are wrong. American bikes have different restrictions on them. The 350 is slower. It has produced ONE holeshot in two years of outdoor racing under known holeshotters. Maybe you should be doing the blowing.

All things equal, 450cc me will holeshot 350cc me. Everytime.

Yes, you are wrong, now go eat your Danish.:smashpc::moon:

• Like 1

Ahhhh.... God damnit, there goes my sweet tooth again! Thanks Johny!👍

Here ya go buddy.:smashpc:

danish.jpg

How do you really feel? :smashpc: Oh, you are wrong... its all about the bike. The top riders are all so close skill/speed wise they need every advantage they can get within the rules to win.

The bike has been proven to be a pretty big flop at the top level of SX and MX racing (with the exception of the 1 or 2 examples given previously) except for over seas where they can mod the bike pretty much any way theyd like. Theres a reason the ex champ isnt riding the 350 next year.

Since were talking about MXdN, I guess its a good thing its a team event huh? Doesnt matter who won which motos when another team walks away with the trophy! I like Roczen and think he has a very promising career ahead of him, but we all witnessed what happened to him over here last season. He got in over his head before he was ready IMO.

Do you guys actually believe what your typing and bitching about with the 350?? I mean, at least KTM has the balls & will to try something different be it good or bad. The Japanese seem to have figured out they can slap some different graphics on last years model and get the naive public to buy it as the latest-greatest.

So what if the 350SX is not a podium bike. I bet you money that Short will not be finishing much different on the Honda in 012. Maybe KTM scares some of you Japan brand happy followers for creeping up and posing a serious threat lately ??

Hell I thought there was no other brand but Honda for a long time but now I have sold my Red bikes and I'm slowly replacing them with Orange because that is the company that I feel is thinking of my best interest and building a quality bike.

I think we need to have a very fast 250 rider step straight into a 350 for a full season then we may see some success, getting a 450 rider to go relearn to ride a 250 style bike clearly has not worked in the USA.

Mike did holeshot and gap the feild and win a race outdoors last year with the bike but then faded the rest of the season.

Also what excuse do you have for all the 450 riders that finished behind shorty ??

I like shorty and wish him all the best for next season.

Roczen and herlings are clearly ktms best hope for any success with the 350 in America after they finish in the 250 class.

Do you guys actually believe what your typing and bitching about with the 350?? I mean, at least KTM has the balls & will to try something different be it good or bad. The Japanese seem to have figured out they can slap some different graphics on last years model and get the naive public to buy it as the latest-greatest.

So what if the 350SX is not a podium bike. I bet you money that Short will not be finishing much different on the Honda in 012. Maybe KTM scares some of you Japan brand happy followers for creeping up and posing a serious threat lately ??

Hell I thought there was no other brand but Honda for a long time but now I have sold my Red bikes and I'm slowly replacing them with Orange because that is the company that I feel is thinking of my best interest and building a quality bike.

I agree with most of your post, and yes I fully understand what Im typing. Kawi has a brand new 450 this year, Yamaha went with the reverse engine design in 10', how is that not trying something new? I dont see your point about how trying something new has anything to do with building a quality bike. They built the best 250 smoker on the market for 2012, and thier 450 isnt far behind. Were not talking about amateur riders here, were talking about the fastest guys in the world.

Im not saying the 350 is useless by any means, it has its place. Short is nothing more than a top 5 rider on a good day when he is on his game pending RV,RD,CR are there. I doubt he will win the championship in 2013 or even be a contender. But that oesnt change the one thing he did very well was get starts, something obviously changed when he switched to the 350 and his results suffered as he became a top 10 rider. Same happened to Alessi a season prior. Did thier results change drastically? No, but Id rather be up front and get passed because I dont have the speed to hang with a chance to hold them off than start from the back and try to chase someone down I have no chance of catching.

Same goes for the Yamaha, it hasnt posted the results that it was expected to with thier "revolutionary" design. Many riders complain about the bike just plain not working. Probably a poor example but look at the difference between when CP was on the bike compared to getting back on the Kawi. He was setting the fastest lap times after people were giving up all hope for him. It just plain doesnt work for alot of top factory riders. Maybe its just the riders, but any one with noteable speed has had complaints about the bike and how difficult it is to set up.

Yet it posts some great results in other forms of racing, even amateur racing. Same boat the 350 is in.

Ive personally rode the 350 and it works great, FOR ME. I dont think it has a place with the big dogs though. FYI Im a die hard Yamaha fan but if I can get my hands on a 2012+ 250sx Ill be making the switch to orange as well unless Yami makes some bike changes.:smashpc:

Just my humble opinion, think of it what you'd like.

I agree with most of your post, and yes I fully understand what Im typing. Kawi has a brand new 450 this year, Yamaha went with the reverse engine design in 10', how is that not trying something new? I dont see your point about how trying something new has anything to do with building a quality bike. They built the best 250 smoker on the market for 2012, and thier 450 isnt far behind. Were not talking about amateur riders here, were talking about the fastest guys in the world.

Im not saying the 350 is useless by any means, it has its place. Short is nothing more than a top 5 rider on a good day when he is on his game pending RV,RD,CR are there. I doubt he will win the championship in 2013 or even be a contender. But that oesnt change the one thing he did very well was get starts, something obviously changed when he switched to the 350 and his results suffered as he became a top 10 rider. Same happened to Alessi a season prior. Did thier results change drastically? No, but Id rather be up front and get passed because I dont have the speed to hang with a chance to hold them off than start from the back and try to chase someone down I have no chance of catching.

Same goes for the Yamaha, it hasnt posted the results that it was expected to with thier "revolutionary" design. Many riders complain about the bike just plain not working. Probably a poor example but look at the difference between when CP was on the bike compared to getting back on the Kawi. He was setting the fastest lap times after people were giving up all hope for him. It just plain doesnt work for alot of top factory riders. Maybe its just the riders, but any one with noteable speed has had complaints about the bike and how difficult it is to set up.

Yet it posts some great results in other forms of racing, even amateur racing. Same boat the 350 is in.

Ive personally rode the 350 and it works great, FOR ME. I dont think it has a place with the big dogs though. FYI Im a die hard Yamaha fan but if I can get my hands on a 2012+ 250sx Ill be making the switch to orange as well unless Yami makes some bike changes.:smashpc:

Just my humble opinion, think of it what you'd like.

Good post. I guess it really doesn't matter what bike brand we're discussing in the top Pro ranks because they have very little in common with the one we would buy off of the showroom floor besides looking very similar. They pretty much build it around the rider when you get to that level. I guess my rant stems from the "well Short is going to do much better now he is off of the 350" remarks which in all reality he was finishing pretty much where he would on any bike with the competition he was up against.

God, do I sound like one of those "bubba fans" only I'm defending KTM instead? I must truly be addicted to the Orange koolaid now.👍

• Like 1

Good post. I guess it really doesn't matter what bike brand we're discussing in the top Pro ranks because they have very little in common with the one we would buy off of the showroom floor besides looking very similar. They pretty much build it around the rider when you get to that level. I guess my rant stems from the "well Short is going to do much better now he is off of the 350" remarks which in all reality he was finishing pretty much where he would on any bike with the competition he was up against.

God, do I sound like one of those "bubba fans" only I'm defending KTM instead? I must truly be addicted to the Orange koolaid now.:smashpc:

Correct! Thats the way I see it too, and exactly what I was trying to say. I dont think Shorts overall results will improve much if any but we may see him running up front in the beginning of motos again. If our rules here in the US allowed bikes to be modded like they can be in the GP's I think the 350 could be lethal. Less weight and a motor that would suit any rider that likes to wind a bike out (ie. some of the 250 riders that have trouble transitioning to the 450). They all have thier place, but our standards dont exactly apply to the factory teams and thier bikes. As you stated, there isnt much that my Yz450f and the mods/parts I can buy out of a catalog shares with JS7s YZ450f. IMO our current racing rules limit the 350s potential to really be competetive, where as with the 450s there arent many riders out there that are gonna benefit from squeezing more power out of the bike b/c they wont use it anyways.

And no you dont sound like a JS7 swinger... apples and oranges.

• Like 1