Sign in to follow this  

Two Stroke

Picked up a 2006 KLX300R this summer, first bike. Had a great time with it but I'm starting to outride it. I don't like the throttle response, the weight, and the suspension won't handle the jumps I'm working on. Rather than dump a ton of money to make it something it's not, I've decided to search for a used MX bike. I don't have the money for a new bike, and based on what I've heard, maintenance on 4 stroke MX bikes gets pricey.

So I've mostly been looking at two strokes, but I'm not sure which I should aim for. I'm 5'11" and 155lbs, I doubt I would ever do anything competitively but I want something that will be tolerable in the woods, handle whatever jumps I throw at it and be powerful enough that I won't outgrow it.

Basically, would a 125 have enough power or should I look for a 250? Would one require significantly more clutch work in the woods? What's the model year cutoff for the most modern suspension/frame setups?

A 125 will definitely be enough power for your weight. If you are going to be mostly riding woods, you should look for a KTM200exc or xc-w. They have weight and top end of a 125, with more bottom end.

If you are set on a 125, all of them are good. The KX, RM, and YZ have more bottom end than the CR though.

ride a 250 2st then ride a 125, then decide

the KTM 200's are great bikes, but (around here) they are kinda rare so they are more expensive

A 125 will definitely be enough power for your weight. If you are going to be mostly riding woods, you should look for a KTM200exc or xc-w. They have weight and top end of a 125, with more bottom end.

So a 125 would be as quick or quicker than a modded KLX300? Is it going to require a lot more clutchwork than a 250 in tight trails (all or stall deal?)

The KTM 200's look good, but will they have the suspension to handle 30ft+ jumps? The KLX is tagged as an "enduro" bike and I've had both ankles in a brace for a couple weeks after jumping it.

ride a 250 2st then ride a 125, then decide

I'd love to, but I don't know anyone who owns one and I think most people selling them would be reluctant to let me really test them.

250 mx bike if you're gonna be doing jumping. KTM EXC 250 or 300 if you decide not to.

Buy a 250 MX bike if you are going to be riding trails. A 125 will require a ton of clutch work in tight trails and light switch power...on or off. I dont understand adults that enjoy 125 MX bikes on the trail...for each their own, I suppose. As mentioned above, you might try a KTM 250/300 EXC for the best of both worlds. I ride a 2007 KTM 300 XC, which is a woods beast...and competent on the track with a few clicks.

• Like 1

I rode some extremely tight singletrack last weekend with my 144. You're on the clutch quite a bit, but it's not that big of a deal. It goes when you want it to.

I rode some extremely tight singletrack last weekend with my 144. You're on the clutch quite a bit, but it's not that big of a deal. It goes when you want it to.

I am curious...why not buy a 200 EXC? It would have much better low end and plenty of top end power without much more weight. Also, the EXC gearing would be more conducive to woods riding.

So a 125 would be as quick or quicker than a modded KLX300? Is it going to require a lot more clutchwork than a 250 in tight trails (all or stall deal?)

Quicker depends on the rider. If you have never ridden a 2 stroke, it will take a couple rides to adjust. It definitely won't have nearly as much torque as your 300. The better all around bike would probably be the 250 IMO. You will never grow out of it, and its easier to ride on trails, less clutching.:smashpc:

I am curious...why not buy a 200 EXC? It would have much better low end and plenty of top end power without much more weight. Also, the EXC gearing would be more conducive to woods riding.

Oops, I thought you were talking to me. My bad.

Edited by Loopy

spend the extra and get an enduro two stroke, kdx200 are not that much and are a lot better than your 300

or splurge and get a ktm/gasgas/husqvarna

I am 6"2 240 lbs, and i had a ktm125sx i raced and trail rode, now i got a cr250 because all i do is race now, for trail riding, i liked my 125 a lot more, it was easier to ride, there was no hill i couldent get up. the biggest reason i got a 250 is suspension, the only time i bottomed my suspension was in huge woops, but on the trail i only bottomed my suspension when i slammed into some big bumps really hard, the next thing was power, but when its off road you can stay in the power easier, in my opinion, a 125 will be a good bike to get, its gunna weigh a lot less than the 300. get a 125 and you can always upgrade if you want to

Oops, I thought you were talking to me. My bad.

I was asking you why you chose a 144 SX over a 200 EXC for trail riding...I was just curious. Alot of people on here run the 125s/144s in the woods...but it seems like alot of work. I understand the weight savings, but what about the low end you would gain from a 200 EXC?

I just rode a KTM 200 XC-W for the first time yesterday.

It's too lightly sprung for my weight (225), but the power is perfect for the trails we ride around here, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well I could lug it up rocky, rooted, rutted uphills without having to slip the clutch as much as I do for 250 4-strokes.

The handling was really nice.

Here's a video that shows the bike in action a bit (2nd half of video).

Note how I'm usually riding in the lower mid-range, even at my weight.

When I did let it get on the pipe, it was quick enough for those trails without being scary.

Enjoy!

Ron Daniels

Overshot.jpg

That's my ambition getting the better of my KLX. A lot of you guys are suggesting the 200's and such, but if they can't handle jumps like that or bigger (or haven't really been tested on them) then they are out of the question. And from what I've gathered, enduro bikes don't have the suspension valving for such things.

I can't afford two seperate bikes and I would rather deal with inconvenience on tight trails than injury or repairs on jumps. I also don't want to buy another bike that I would have to dump a bunch of money in to on upgrades. Springs and sprockets for my weight and trails is fine, but I'd like to keep it at that. I'm never going to race competitively and I'm never going to do backflips, and I hate to be "that guy" who has been riding for 2 months and needs a top of the line machine. But if a 125 or an enduro bike is going to really limit me than it's not worth me buying at this point. Especially if it's a KTM enduro that is going to cost a lot more than a 250 MX bike.

I was asking you why you chose a 144 SX over a 200 EXC for trail riding...I was just curious. Alot of people on here run the 125s/144s in the woods...but it seems like alot of work. I understand the weight savings, but what about the low end you would gain from a 200 EXC?

Oh, well that's because I'm an MX'er. The old man likes trails so I tag along when he goes. In the next year or so I'm going to go ahead and buy a new 250f and buy an older 200, 250, 300 XC, EXC, XCW for trail duty.

I think the point you are missing is that the KTMs are very versitile. I will give you an example...my 2007 300 XC. I bought the bike from a guy that rode only motocross. I bought new sprockets and chain (that it needed) and turned it back to its stock gearing, bought handguards, a kickstand (originally came with one, but the guy removed it and it got lost), and a new tire. With a few clicks on the forks, I was off to the trail. The bike is an absolute trail beast. I can chug it like a 4 stroke or let it rip. I have never had the bike on a track and never plan to. Thats versitile. With that being said, you can buy new springs for $80-$100. You can make the suspension perform however you want...that should not be your deciding factor. I can assure you that the suspension on any modern KTM will be much better than the KLX you own. Not to mention, the KTM will be much lighter and better handling.

Oh, well that's because I'm an MX'er. The old man likes trails so I tag along when he goes. In the next year or so I'm going to go ahead and buy a new 250f and buy an older 200, 250, 300 XC, EXC, XCW for trail duty.

That makes sense...I understand that concept...you are a MX'er that rides trails occasionally. What I am trying to understand are the adults that ride 125 MX bikes on the trail because they choose to. I dont know one person who does.

By the way...I would recommend a 300 XC for you later on. Take it to the track in the morning, a few clicks on the forks, and ride the trails that afternoon.

Most modern enduro bikes(atleast the 2 strokes that arnt pigs) can easily handle motocross tracks. The jump in the picture above isnt that big, ive done bigger on my old kdx200(used to take it to the track and hit every jump there). Then had a YZ250, and my current GasGas300 isnt much less capable on a motocross track. A KTM XC 200/250/300 while considered a cross country bike, will easily suck up any motocross track for all but the most serious motocross riders. If you compare a modern 2 stroke enduro bike to a KLX pig you'll find they share almost nothing in common. The new KTM/GasGas/Husky off road machines will suck up almost anything you can throw at them. Ive been on bikes set up for offroad/GNCC that have stiffer suspension than most motocross bikes due to how hard they get ridden. These days you can have your cake and eat it too...no need for 2 bikes