Sign in to follow this  

yz250f

hi guys, quite new to yamaha and the modern dirtbike.

2001 model, all tidy and running well, works out at about $1500 usd, ($1750 here in NZ)

Anything particularly to look for, a bit scared of 5 valves etc and costs associated with service / fixing in future?.

01, has some time on her, so I hope you got the history from the previous owner. Frequent oil changes, and clean air filter helps this one live. 10 hours is about the limit on the oil since it only holds 1.25 qts. Do the filter too. I prefer a multiple air filter setup. I've used Twinair and Twinair with a single Flo on top of that for tripple coverage. Go ahead and remove the seat the check it now. Pull the filter, then inspect the rubber boot. You DO NOT want to find any dirt or silt in the boot. I'd also pull the flywheel and check the condition of the small sprocket on the crank. Sharp pointed teeth indicate the cam chain is worn and it can jump time, ($$$ ask me how I know). Keep all bearings greased, especially the steering head and shock linkages. Wheel bearings and brake pads are easy to change, but the shock linkage bearings are expensive and not easy to replace. You probably should go ahead and pull the swingarm bolt just to make sure its not already locked up. Friend of mine gave good advice and said "grease all threads" it helps at removal time.