Sign in to follow this  

32:1....36:1.....40:1 What are you guys and gals running?

I'm just curious as to what ratio you guys are mixing your fuel at? I'm running a BR8EG plug and running 32:1 in my 03' yz 250:thumbsup:

honda guy here but running 32:1 since Ive first started riding.

I've seen that maxima link but am having a hard time deciphering what the data in the second table is trying to say. its pretty unclear what's going on there. obviously its how long it takes the oil to spread through the engine but nothing is labeled properly.

I've recently mixed up 4 gallons at 24:1 to try and test some stuff I've read before. will rejet and look forward to seeing how/if I notice any increase in power due to better ring seal. having doubts though.

Note the conclusion table. I spoke with Jason Raines yesterday (no I'm not well connected) and he said for GNCC he rode with 40:1. That's one fast guy in a organized event. The conclusion table from Maxima says to run between 50-60:1 if recreational only (me) assuming you use good oil (SuperM, etc.).

Using a good oil I don't see any reason to run it at 32:1 unless you're riding dunes or MX.

Maxima Recommends: Oil/gas ratio must vary according to anticipated use:

•Many lubricant producers recommend the same gas/oil ratio for all types of riding and racing. Maxima feels this approach is too general, and urges motorcycle owners to make their decisions based on the above research.

anyone can read the conclusions but what's the table mean?

from how I interpret it, its saying a 40:1 mix takes 600 seconds to spread through the engine. at 25:1 it takes 4 seconds. so for 1.1% more unburnt oil in my exhaust I save 596 seconds (9.93 minutes) of being, what I would call, underlubricated. 10 mins is a long time IMO.

so unless they can show me the numbers mean something different that's how ill interpret the 2nd table. might I be ill informed, sure. that's why I need some labels to come to my own conclusions.

Read the bottle. There are many different types of premix. Each is a little different. There is no one ratio that works for everything.

Normally, I like(d) Motul or even Golden Spectrol at 50:1, which was perfect, even for desert racing. For the more wide open races, I'd go to 40:1 per the instructions.

Never lost a piston because of that, never scored a cylinder, never overheated because of a lean mixture... no premix related problems once I followed instructions.

40:1

BR8-EIX Iridium plug

VP-110 / Bel-Ray H1R

Used to run 36:1, but 40:1 is much less spoogy out the pipe.

Just get the little bottles at the hardware store. They are magical and are specially formulated for engines requiring 10:1 all the way to 80:1!:smashpc:

My buddy runs 32:1 in his KDX200 and has a little spooge... I run 80:1 in my Montesa 315R and get a lot of spooge, so much that it runs down the outside of the silencer. I hear a lot of guys run 100:1 in their trials bikes, but I'm a little afraid of that.

I'm interested in this thread to see if I can find an ideal mix ratio for my YZ250 when I get it put together. I usually burn Castor 927, and I guess you could call me a recreational rider... Whatever that means...

I run H1R at 40:1 in both of my 2T (2001 YZ250 and 2002 CR125). I have the 125 jetted to a dark choclate brown and the 250 jetted a little fatter. I trail ride and run 1.5-2.5 hr harescrambes Vet C rider with 30+years riding. I used to run 32:1 in my bikes growing up but figure now everything is synthetic and better. My dad a Golden Master 55+ rider is runnnig a 2005 KTM300 EXC at 44:1 on H1R No problems either.

I run non ethenol super unleaded

i still think the best way to mix is to see how much residual oil is in the bottom of the crank after a typical ride.i checked mine at 40to1 and it was perfect.now this test would need to be repeated if i were to change oils.they all have different migrate times and flash points.

the thing to remember with premix is,it,s not the oil in the gas that does anything.oil in gas won,t lubricate shite.the oil that drops out of suspension into the crankcase is what gets distributed around the motor for lubrication.so if too little residual oil is in the bottom of the crank you are under oiling.too much oil down there and you are over oiling and will probably have more spooge.

don,t listen to people who tell you spooge is all about jetting and if you spooge at 30to1 your jetting is rich.it may be,it may also be your running too much oil for how you ride.

I run 50:1 amsoil dominator in my yz125...used to run it 40:1 until amsoil guy told me to run what the bottle says(50:1) been doing it every since then with no problems....no matter what the oil is, run what the bottle says!:smashpc:

Just get the little bottles at the hardware store. They are magical and are specially formulated for engines requiring 10:1 all the way to 80:1!:smashpc:

My buddy runs 32:1 in his KDX200 and has a little spooge... I run 80:1 in my Montesa 315R and get a lot of spooge, so much that it runs down the outside of the silencer. I hear a lot of guys run 100:1 in their trials bikes, but I'm a little afraid of that.

I'm interested in this thread to see if I can find an ideal mix ratio for my YZ250 when I get it put together. I usually burn Castor 927, and I guess you could call me a recreational rider... Whatever that means...

Thats exactely why I started this thread. Its something that totally exists everywhere but never really gets talked about. Its very interesting to hear what others are mixing their fuel at and what they are using. I use yamalube, I swear by it. After using it for 4 years straight with chevron premium pump...literally 75 hours on a top end on my old 01' YZ125 on 40:1. So I'm a yamalube guy. I'll run SHELL 76 CHEVRON basically anything but ampm cause ampm puts the crappy additives in. BTW, does anyone know where I can get a gallon jug of yamalube 2r? PM me

50:1 just seems outrageous for any two stroke.....

It's 0.64 ounces less oil per gallon than 40:1 which Jason Raines recommends for hard-core hare scramble racing. :smashpc: