Sign in to follow this  

97 rm125

nephew ran the bike hot supposedly. I bought it 400$. was grinding in cylinder hard to kick makinggrinding noise. I replaced the piston and rings. It started and ran for 5 minutes. I'd put it in gear and it would quit. i did this three times. then it spitt out a glob of oil out overflow tube on top right tube from engine. and quit. ive not got it started since. It will "pop" out of the muffler every 3rd or 4th kick. I'm sure it needs clutch plates. But also there was water in the crankcase from riding in creeks. Can you help me with any suggestions

Advice?

:smashpc:

No but beyond what water might have done to the lower end. Clear the carb and make sure its jetted properly. Get some fresh fuel and new oil too and the mix right. I'd say replace the crank oil.... but depending on the water, you may be in there again anyway soon 👍

I've never known how to tell if the carb is jetted right or not. The bowl does fill up with fuel. And the carb was clean. I've looked at everything when I got it. I put too much oil in it after the piston job and thats the reason for the oil chuggin out when I got it started. But the bottom end is scorched almost black with burnt oil look from the water in there. Do you know anything about resleeving the cylinder or boring the sleeve and getting a MM size bigger piston. Not very much compression you can kick it with your hand and almost no resistance ?:smashpc: