Sign in to follow this  

Review of LHRB on 2007 450 XC-W

I just installed a rekluse dual-actuated left hand rear brake on my '07 450 XC-W w/ Rekluse pro. Next to the Rekluse, this is the best modification I've ever made to a bike. I'm a relative novice, and I've always been uncomfortable on downhill singletrack. I've never enjoyed the fast, flowing feeling I get on my mountain bike. I always suspected it was because I wasn't comfortable trying to modulate the rear brake with my foot. I've only been riding for a few years, and it still isn't natural for me.

With the LHRB, all that has changed. I have so much more control on technical downhill sections. I can stand in a nice balanced stance without worrying about being in position to cover the brake; and I have so much more touch on the rear brake.

Installation was easy, but getting it bled was tough. I've back-bled it at least five times from the rear caliper, and I still have some air in the line somewhere. Even with it being a little mushy, it is still a huge improvement for me.

The dual system seems to be a bitch to bleed. 2 of my riding buddies had the same problem. One of them has ditched the foot pedal completely and the other is about to do the same.

I got mine bleed 100% but I didn't like how the lever felt ( stock hydraulic clutch master cylinder) so I actually put a little air into to the system to make it a little more progressive. weird I know.

I want to keep the pedal. What is the right way to hook up the clutch master to the rear brake master. Is there some part to fit in the master?

Ben

The m/c has to be modified. Rekluse do the parts as part of their dual kit, but I don't know the details.

I want to keep the pedal. What is the right way to hook up the clutch master to the rear brake master. Is there some part to fit in the master?

Ben

Like dgcars said, there is a Rekluse insert that replaces the cap of the foot pedal master reservoir. It allows the left hand master cylinder to attach by banjo bolt to the foot pedal reservoir.

Thanks for the replies. Do you know how fare down in side the plug goes? I'm thinking of pressing or silflossing one in and taping the bango bolt hole in it.

Not that simple. The internal piston is different.

Not that simple. The internal piston is different.

I don't see a piston in the integral reservoir. The original cap has the expanding / contracting rubber. I’m thinking just space needs to be taken with up with a threaded plug for the new hydraulic line in a way to prevent air from getting trapped in the reservoir.

Ben

I don't see a piston in the integral reservoir. The original cap has the expanding / contracting rubber. I’m thinking just space needs to be taken with up with a threaded plug for the new hydraulic line in a way to prevent air from getting trapped in the reservoir.

Ben

The insert uses an 0-ring to seal against the bottom of the reservoir. The reservoir becomes a part of the pressurized system, and the site glass would be blown out if it wasn't isolated.