Sign in to follow this  

83 IT 250 jug

anyone have any ideas on where i can pick up a new cylinder for an 83 IT 250?i ve found an IT i could pick up cheap for a second bike but its got a cracked cylinder from a bad port and polish job...cant find one on sleaze-bay,any other ideas???thanx for the help:thumbsup:

I've mentioned this before for OP's but here goes again. Check with Sportwheels in Jordan, Mn. Look at the web site first. It's "Sportwheel.com" (No "s") You can post your needs on their web site and they will look thru their yard for it. But 2 things, just so you don't think I'm an employee. Be prepared to pay too much for any parts they find. I think they believe all their parts are gold plated. Second, almost all of their bikes, except for fairly new ones, sit OUTSIDE year around. Kind of tough on engine parts to sit out in the rain and snow. Also, the plastic parts turn to crap when left out like this. The only other thing I can suggest is to keep checking on CL for a parts bike. I see them here in Mn. pretty often. Maybe some other TT'ers will have more suggestions. Good luck.

1983 is a pretty odd beast . that was the last year for the IT250 in the U.S. how ever that same model was sold into Canada and I believe Australia until 1985 with no changes what so ever . I had a 1985 Canadian model back in the day . I really liked that bike . But they are very uncommon. I would try Merrit cycle salvage out of BC . or post on the Australian IT forum . they may have got them in the UK also ??

thanx for the info guys i ll start checking into the spots mentioned,the bike is in pretty good shape otherwise ,well at least for a bike thats almost 30 years old and never been restored!

If only the Steel Sleeve is cracked then give LA Sleeve a call it maybe cheaper that way or go to Ebay but no matter what you do it still going cost you pettey penny.

http://www.bikeboneyard.com/

You can try here too they have a lot of parts bike if you don't see it listed just send them and email and maybe they can find the part for you. This place is probably overpriced too.

Bike boneyard are alway way over priced thanks god for ebay

Now don't quote me on what I'm about to type ,,,, but When I had my 1985 IT250 I had looked into using a 1981/82 cylinder on it . the bore/stroke is different on the older ones shorter stroke and bigger bore .

Your 1983-85 is 68mmx68mm

The older ones had a 71mm bore .

If the base gasket is the same which I think it is you would need a spacer to make up 1/2 the stroke difference .

The port timing would be a bit strange but I bet it would run just fine for what your wanting to do with it . It would be 270cc. You would just need a willing machine shop to make the spacer . You would also need to get some longer studs for the base.

My $.02