Sign in to follow this  

Beginner Question!

When I ride trails with my friends who have been riding for awhile now and I just am now getting back into getting seat time on my bike. Whats the best way to go up a rutt hill with woops in it? My friends helped me telling me to stand up and lean forward but my bike goes everywhere and I get stuck in a rutt, Any technique to it?

dont know if this is the correct way but i tend to move my weight back and forweds depending on what the bike is doing

and use the clutch alot

and yes stand up

im sure some one on here will know more then i do and explain it alot better and i will probly learn something as well

Stand, don't stand depends on the exact hill one thing universal to climbing a hill is momentum. You need to carry speed. Once you loose forward momentum it is hard to get it back on a steep hill. Squeeze the bike with your lower legs but still stay a bit loose and go with the flow. Sometimes the bike will slide a bit just keep it under you and stay on the gas. If you need to let off a bit don't chop the throttle all the way clutch it and back off a little then get back into it as soon as possible. When you hit the water bar or whoop throw your weight into the bike to keep it low or try to get your front wheel over it. It really depends on the hill. Look for different lines. Some guy's will head straight into the rutt. Look and see if there is a less obvious route. You can often skirt the side of the trail above the rutt. If you have a hard time on a hill but make it go back down and try it a few more times until it is easy. Practice, try new things, and have fun. Don't get me wrong I am no pro either but I have been riding for 12 years now.