Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Yz125

Hey guys..

i was wondering would it be much difference if i bought a 2000-2005 model yz 125 for racing??

i have seen some really tricked out and in great condition 2000 models.

i dont have the money to buy a 2005- upwards yet. so i thought if i get an erlier model and see if i am any good at racing, then if i am then i can go get a newer model.

Thanks Guys :smashpc:

i have a yz125 2000 model and i absolutly love it mate

ive got reeds ,fmf rev pipe witch is great for tracks with straights and on tracks you can keep your rpms up on with a shorty power core 2 silencer adds a lil bottom end i think dont hold me to that thou

ive also got the suspansion dialed in for my weight witch was the biggest improvement i found

i dont race as in compitition but i get out there on the practice days with the boys and do rather well

i find if i can keep rev's up hard i eat the 250f's even thrue the turns

but if i stuff up and not keep the revs up they will have me all day

you really got to pick good 2 stroke lines and keep it hard on band

i think alot of it is my rev fmf pipe but thats how i like it nice band hit

the newer yz's are a bit better but alot of it is still the riders skill level

not saying to not buy a newer yz but in my opinion your really not at a noticible diss advenatge

just set your bike up right and get a good tune done

my mate has a yz125 2010 i believe it is and on the tight tracks he has me but on long tracks im in front of him and he is really fighting to stay with me

alot of it is rider skill and also gearing

i will also admit he is alot better rider then what i am alot more experiance in the tracks so i really dont complain when he thrash's me on the tight tracks but i still do well to stay with him

so in my opinon 98% is the rider skill 2% is the bike

Look for a 2002 and up, atleast it will have the up to date plastics. same tank and shrouds as a 2012. Fenders and numberplate you can update anytime.

xDCxSMOKE.

Thanks heaps man you have been a big help.

i was looking at this 2000 model on another website and it looked like a 2012 model. it was kept so clean and well maintained. i think i would rather get an earlier model and make it right for me, than get a new model and not have any money for anything else.

My 2000 yz is one of the best bikes I have ever owned... I absolutely love it. Had mine ported and polished, and head worked by EG and its one of the best mods Ive done to the bike falling shy of the suspension work obviously. Its just as fast as the newer Yz's without a doubt! Im 225 lbs before gear and the bike absolutely hauls with my big butt on it, enough so that I can podium on it from time to time against all the 120 lb guys Im racing against. Its nice to rip around the track on the little 125 screamer. Im not a fan of the 5 speed tranny either.

There are still lots of upgrades avail. for the bike as well. Im in the market now for another one, possibly an 01.

Heres my 2000 yz125

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I prefer taking this bike to the track on practice days than my 250.

My 2000 yz is one of the best bikes I have ever owned... I absolutely love it. Had mine ported and polished, and head worked by EG and its one of the best mods Ive done to the bike falling shy of the suspension work obviously. Its just as fast as the newer Yz's without a doubt! Im 225 lbs before gear and the bike absolutely hauls with my big butt on it, enough so that I can podium on it from time to time against all the 120 lb guys Im racing against. Its nice to rip around the track on the little 125 screamer. Im not a fan of the 5 speed tranny either.

There are still lots of upgrades avail. for the bike as well. Im in the market now for another one, possibly an 01.

Heres my 2000 yz125

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I prefer taking this bike to the track on practice days than my 250.

That looks Awesome dude.

That is one good looking 125... I wouldnt even hesitate to pick that bike up.

One other thing I will add is that the V-force and FMF fatty/rev pipe and shorty is the best combo all around for throttle response and overall grunt of the 125.

Dont worry about the updated plastics, that means absolutely nothing in terms of performance. Id rather have a 99-01 Yz than a 02-04 for the 6 speed tranny over the updated plastics!

That is one good looking 125... I wouldnt even hesitate to pick that bike up.

One other thing I will add is that the V-force and FMF fatty/rev pipe and shorty is the best combo all around for throttle response and overall grunt of the 125.

Dont worry about the updated plastics, that means absolutely nothing in terms of performance. Id rather have a 99-01 Yz than a 02-04 for the 6 speed tranny over the updated plastics!

Okay sounds good.

and yeah plastics dont bother me, they will get covered in stickers eventually lol

Heres my 2000 yz125

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I really like how your bikes frame is Blue. LOOKS AWESOME

and your Pipe is nice and shiny without any dents.

would love to have your bike :smashpc:

Thanks man, I could get you the color code for the frame if your interested. I get tons of complements about the frame.

The pipe is a PITA to keep clean, but its well worth the little bit of extra time it takes to wipe the dirt off and spray it down with some wd-40 after each ride. Its also not the first one Ive had... I have 2 or 3 dented ones hanging on the wall in the garage that are dented beyond repair. Mostly from the bike going end over end durring nasty get offs, they are pretty durrable.

yeah that would be cool thanks :smashpc:

and haha yeah.

Also i saw that your the one who started the bikes before and after post.. and you did the restoration its an amazing change man

• Like 1

Yea Ive done a couple restos now... I think they turned out pretty nice.

I would love to be able to restore a bike would be fun

Its not all that hard... just alot of $ that you'll never get back out of the bike. If your interested in keeping the bikes then its worth it. If you just looking to restore them to sell, your in the wrong buisness lol

The only time that works is if you can find a bike extremely cheap that needs minimal work. But I like buying the basket case bikes that have nothing going for them and turning them into beatiful machines again.

Its not all that hard... just alot of $ that you'll never get back out of the bike. If your interested in keeping the bikes then its worth it. If you just looking to restore them to sell, your in the wrong buisness lol

The only time that works is if you can find a bike extremely cheap that needs minimal work. But I like buying the basket case bikes that have nothing going for them and turning them into beatiful machines again.

If I were to do one it would be to keep so that way if I wanted to take mates riding they didn't have to use my bike lol.