Sign in to follow this  

thinking of switching

Post it here and you are unlikely to get any votes to keep the WR:ride:

Coming off a thumper The 200 will make you feel like you have been introduced to a fun park you never knew existed. try a 250/300 2 T too though.

from a 2005 yamaha wr450 to a newer ktm 200 xcw. anyone have any thoughts on this? am i going to love it? hate it? going to wish i still had my old yami?

After dealing with the WR, a KTM 200 will feel like a mountain bike. What type of riding do you do? The 200 is an amazing bike, decent low end (although nothing near the WR's) and and a strong top end. Add a trials tire and its like cheating... :smashpc: A 200 likes to be ridden hard. You need to keep it in the meat of the power band. If you can do that, you will be very happy with a 200.

I have mooved from 450 to 300 just recently!

I was also worried am I going to miss the torque of big 450.

Now, I can not belive that 2t can make that much tourqe in low rpm - same like my old 450 + 300 is much lighter, faster and more fun in single trails.

If you like the tourqy engine maby you should go for 300.

I have mooved from 450 to 300 just recently!

I was also worried am I going to miss the torque of big 450.

Now, I can not belive that 2t can make that much tourqe in low rpm - same like my old 450 + 300 is much lighter, faster and more fun in single trails.

If you like the tourqy engine maby you should go for 300.

I can agree with each sentence! LOVE my new 300!! First 2t ever too.

Coming off a WR you may miss electric start. The 250/300's all have the button. The 200 does not. If thats important to you.

How much do you weigh? Coming off a 450 you may want more than 200cc's.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro.html

If your a lightweight guy, under 180lbs then the 200 will be a jaw dropping experience for you. If you're over that weight then you will miss the torque the 450 has and will for sure want a bigger power plant. The closest thing to a 450 power wise is the 300, but you've heard that already and you'll hear a thousand more times because the fact is, it's the truth. IMO, the 300 is much much better ride, and ya I've had the WR's, in fact I had a 04 450 and an 07 450, my 300 blows them both away....

All above advise is good....As was said above, if you're a big guy go 300, having said that I know guys that are big that have no problems on a 200...It will require a bit of a learning curve as I went from a 4t to a 2t and your 450 is a torque monster compared to a 200.

I don't really think there is enough information to say which 2 stroke is best. I will say, as superslyko has, any one of them may be better than what you have.

Just because one rides a 450 now, or started on one, doesn't mean it is anywhere near the right or desired machine. It really boils down to terrain, personal preference, rider ability, and riding style.

I came off a WR250F myself.

All above advise is good....As was said above, if you're a big guy go 300, having said that I know guys that are big that have no problems on a 200...It will require a bit of a learning curve as I went from a 4t to a 2t and your 450 is a torque monster compared to a 200.

I weigh 245 lbs geared up and haven't found anywhere I ride that a 450 is a benefit or needed. Out west in the open areas and the really long big hills it becomes a better choice. There are plenty of pros here that make them work, however.

What the 200 lacks in low end engine power, it makes up for with gearing, giving it plenty of pulling power.

What else can ya tell us about the terrain you ride, your riding style, and ability?

What has you leaning to a 200?

well, i am 6'3" and 200lbs. I went from a cr250 2t to my wr450, so I am no stranger to a 2t. i am an ex moto-xer. i ride trails exclusively now with my dad and father in law. What really peaked my interest on the 200, is a couple of guys a ran into on the trail. they were both on 200 xcw's, and both said they had ridden bigger bikes their whole lives, and now that they switched to the 200, have never had more fun riding motorcycles. they also both ran a trials tire rear. the weight of the 200 is also appealing, as it is 60lbs lighter than my current scoot. i am not sure if the 200 will be enough to scoot me around though? i am not looking to kill myself, but do like to go fast sometimes and have some fun. also, after giving their 200's a good look over, everything looked so accesable and easy to get to and work on.

i absolutely love my wr. but it is a heavy pig for sure. i love the torque and the controllability of the power. so smooth on delivery. but i find myself mostly riding around in first and second gear, not shifting much. it is nice when i get to make a trip to the desert on the east side over by bend. i can rip it up in fourth gear all day long there. but that only happens about twice i year. i mostly ride mountain trails, lots of rocks, mud, roots, etc. and it is wet alot.

i have not thought much about the 250 or 300, but am open to any and all suggestions. it would be nice to have a fun light bike that i can utilize to my abilities more, but i still need to be able to put around too as i have a little one that will be learning very very soon to ride. so i will be on dad detail. like i said, my 450 is very controllable, but i could never ride around in fourth on the trails i ride mostly. its a first and second gear sort of thing.

any input is appreciated.

well, i am 6'3" and 200lbs. I went from a cr250 2t to my wr450, so I am no stranger to a 2t. i am an ex moto-xer. i ride trails exclusively now with my dad and father in law. What really peaked my interest on the 200, is a couple of guys a ran into on the trail. they were both on 200 xcw's, and both said they had ridden bigger bikes their whole lives, and now that they switched to the 200, have never had more fun riding motorcycles. they also both ran a trials tire rear. the weight of the 200 is also appealing, as it is 60lbs lighter than my current scoot. i am not sure if the 200 will be enough to scoot me around though? i am not looking to kill myself, but do like to go fast sometimes and have some fun. also, after giving their 200's a good look over, everything looked so accesable and easy to get to and work on.

i absolutely love my wr. but it is a heavy pig for sure. i love the torque and the controllability of the power. so smooth on delivery. but i find myself mostly riding around in first and second gear, not shifting much. it is nice when i get to make a trip to the desert on the east side over by bend. i can rip it up in fourth gear all day long there. but that only happens about twice i year. i mostly ride mountain trails, lots of rocks, mud, roots, etc. and it is wet alot.

i have not thought much about the 250 or 300, but am open to any and all suggestions. it would be nice to have a fun light bike that i can utilize to my abilities more, but i still need to be able to put around too as i have a little one that will be learning very very soon to ride. so i will be on dad detail. like i said, my 450 is very controllable, but i could never ride around in fourth on the trails i ride mostly. its a first and second gear sort of thing.

any input is appreciated.

I would try and get a ride on one if you can. the 200 is a great, fun bike for woods riding where you can't take advantage of all the power a 250 or 300 puts out unless you are a fast rider to start with. I feel the same as the guys you ran into and also run a TT. Your point about accessibility is also something I like about the 200. more room to work with, simple PV design, cheaper to maintain, and simply lighter on the trail.

I also like being able to wring my 200's neck without worry of it spitting me off into the woods.

Skidaddy recently traded his 250XC for a 200XC after moving here from FL. He seems to be satisfied with the 200 in our woods environment. I am sure the 250 was a benefit in the power robbing sand of FL.

You are going to gain a lot more by riding a couple, then you will know.

I will say the 200 is a very fun bike to ride and has a very big following, but it won't be a mistake whichever KTM 2 stroke you choose.

gmoss is right, it's a fun bike for sure. Easy to move around in the air to avoid sharp rocks roots etc. Looking forward to riding mine w/a fresh top end & clean powervalve.

I'm 200 nekkid & never could use half the 250s power, with the 200 you can wring it out quite a bit more, fun!:smashpc:

I think the cockpit of the 200 is smaller than the 250 or 300. At 6'3" this might be something to consider. I got on a 200 and it just felt too small.

That was the case until 08. Now they all share the same ergos up top.

I got back into dirtbikes on a CRF450, I loved that bike. Great handling and wonderful power. However, it was heavy and a lot to throw around in the tight woods. When the valves started getting tight I traded it off for a KTM 380. I ended up with a bunch of 380's. I picked up a 300 that didn't last long but it was a great bike,, I just like the added power of the 380. I sold off all the big bikes in the beginning of 2010 and bought a new 2007 125 SX for my oldest son and a 2008 144 SX for me. I grown to love the small bore bikes. Today the kids nike is a 150 and mine is a 200, converted. They are so nice in the tight woods we have in the northwest. There are times I long for the big bore power but it is rare and that happens when I get into some real open stuff like Millican.

Everyone is right, go test ride a few bikes and make the call. You will find the 125, 150, and 200 bikes feel way lighter than the bigger 250 & 300 bikes even though it is 20 pounds or less. That little bit feels like a massive amount. If your hitting places like Reiter, Walker, Gifford Pinchot, & Tahuya I think you will be very happy with a 200.

Joe...........

I once rode with a 200 A rider. He had to turn around on a single track...... just blipped the throttle, launched the bike, and turned it 180 degrees in the air! 👍

It's like a Mt. Bike with a motor. :smashpc:

My '02 250sx scares me in the woods. I dont know how a person could need more power. The 300 guys must have some serious thrill issues or really big huevos!

Former WR250f owner too! Last bike, actually.

well see thats exactly what i was thinking. a 300 will have alot of power. much like my thumper. and i am already finding that in tight stuff i cannot utilize the bike. that is why i was thinking 200. but i am just not sure. and i know no one who has a ktm. so it makes it hard to get a ride on any of them.

well see thats exactly what i was thinking. a 300 will have alot of power. much like my thumper. and i am already finding that in tight stuff i cannot utilize the bike. that is why i was thinking 200. but i am just not sure. and i know no one who has a ktm. so it makes it hard to get a ride on any of them.
My '02 250sx scares me in the woods. I dont know how a person could need more power. The 300 guys must have some serious thrill issues or really big huevos!

Former WR250f owner too! Last bike, actually.

A woods KTM 250/300 is neither of these. The SX is a track bike, and the other woods bikes are tuned from the heavens for the trail. An SX has track suspension too.

Don't think because a 450 thump is "too much" a 300 will be too.

The bikes (ktm's) are similiar in weight, with the big savings on the 200 being no electric start. You never addresed losing that feature.....200 = kick it yourself. No big deal, but awful hard to go back.

A 300 uses the extra hp to make torque....kinda like your heavier 450.

If you wanna go from sitting on a torque pig to wringing the shit outta a 200 to get less overall hp, I'm OK with that. Just want you to be too.

Maybe you get a 200 next time? I think a 250/300 XC or XC/W is great for you.

I'm a pig in shit on a 300 xc/w after a 450R converted to woods. It's still im my garage. I'd never go back, and can tell a 250...or even pipier 200 woulda been a mistake for me.

There are many bikes "between" a wr450 and a 200. You'd be making a big jump.

Again...these are opinions....just what you ask for :ride:.

Enjoy your new 300 👍.