Sign in to follow this  

Best rebuild options

Hey everyone! so I've got an ultimate question. I have an 07 yz250f and i want to install a 13.5:1 piston in it. Is it better to replace with a OEM 08-11 piston into an 07 or to buy a wesico kit? Is it okay to put a 08 OEM piston into a 07 bike? Any modifications required? are there any cons to doing this, such as less reliability or valve life? My last question is, should i hone the cylinder or not????????

i know alot of these maybe have been answered before, but i want to see it all put together in one post. Thanks :smashpc:

Personally I would go the 08 OEM piston route, much cheaper than Wiseco, and it's proven reliable. You won't get any more excessive wear etc, the gain is so minimal the only perfomace gains will mostly be mental/fresh rebuild. Yes, you should get the cylinder honed.

+1. To see any noticeable gains, you will have to run on the best pump fuel or blend your own to get the optimum octane level.

okay sounds good... how come some people say to hone the cylinder and others say dont at all?????????????

how bout using a scotch brite pad??? the hones are expensive... also, do you use a file to change end ring gap???

Yes you may need to use a small ring file to set ring gap. And yes deglaze cylinder, honing isn't the proper word. You can try scotchbrite and wd-40 as its been done by many on here.

You really want to use a ball type hone made from aluminum oxide. The flex hone brand can be found on amazon for around 30 bucks.