2004 RM 250 ignition timing

Rotating stator plate clockwise= advanced= favours bottom to mid power

counterclockwise= retarded= favours top end

Careful with advancing, danger of detonation.

So, should the factory timing be Your best bet,,,I have had no problems with Mine on stock setting.......but...... that is good knowledge to know.......Dr.D..

So, should the factory timing be Your best bet,,,I have had no problems with Mine on stock setting.......but...... that is good knowledge to know.......Dr.D..

Yes factory should be your best bet. Some woods riders like to retard the timing a bit to soften the bottom/mid hit and help eliminate spooge. It raises the exhaust gas temps.

And like I said advancing timing is a dangerous game.

This is what happens when you go to far. I got this bike and I didn't even think to check to see if some one jacked with the timing. It was about 4mm retarded. I should have know when the bike was very mellow on power.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=93350

because your gas doesn't ignite at the moment that the piston is in his highest postion

it ignites a bit sooner or later depending on advanced or retarded

so the rod takes a bigger beating

pure logic, the ignition of your fuel is not on the correct moment of the momentum of your piston/crank

• 11 months later...

I dont understand why retarding the timing would snap a rod. I ran 1mm retarded for a little while and kinda liked it.

When retarding, the spark plug fires earlier, so the explosion inside the engine can stop the piston, what is coming upwards. The inertia can cause the connecting rod snapping.

When retarding, the spark plug fires earlier, so the explosion inside the engine can stop the piston, what is coming upwards. The inertia can cause the connecting rod snapping.

Backwards bud, retarding timing is all in the name. It delays the spark,advance timing sparks sooner. It snapped the rod from heat buildup. There is a fine line of degrees(advance,tdc,or retarding) of which the timing doesn't generate unnecessary heat. Stock timing is usually the best but sometimes a small adjustment is nec to get what one desires as tune goes.

Edited by bambambennett