Sign in to follow this  

WILL NOT start at all, not even push

I know there are a million questions everywhere about hard to start crf250s, but i have read as many as i can find and nothing helps, i took my bike today to freestyle honda in seaford victoria too get my rocker cover gasket fixed and to also check the valves, the mechanic said they are in honda spec, i changed the engine oil about an hour ago and nothing i can do will get it to start. I've tried push starting it and it still wont start, i dont know if im doing something wrong push starting it but its push started before, and i was riding only 3 days ago, please help thanks in advance

oh and also its usually hard to start sometimes, other times it will kick over pretty easy but it is not starting at all now

first is check for spark. If you try to start the bike and pull the plug if its wet your getting fuel. Fuel, air, and spark on time is the basic check. I know these bikes are pilot jet sensitive. My boys bike went from hard to start with a 42 and easy to start with a 45

first is check for spark. If you try to start the bike and pull the plug if its wet your getting fuel. Fuel, air, and spark on time is the basic check. I know these bikes are pilot jet sensitive. My boys bike went from hard to start with a 42 and easy to start with a 45

Thanks alot if it is still hard to start tomorrow i will try, ive been outside alot of this time with dad taking the bike apart finally get to the spark plug and we can only just not reach it, hopefully its not this hard to start tomorrow

edit, after kicking it for ages after we put it back together it finally kicked over hmmm

Valves? I know the Honda guy said they were ok, but they are very easy to check on your own.

Charlie?

Thanks alot if it is still hard to start tomorrow i will try, ive been outside alot of this time with dad taking the bike apart finally get to the spark plug and we can only just not reach it, hopefully its not this hard to start tomorrow

edit, after kicking it for ages after we put it back together it finally kicked over hmmm

You need a new spark plug.

JayC

Check the valves. All it takes for these bikes to be almost impossible to start is 1 valve being out of adjustment by .002". Bad spark plugs are very rare for these bikes, but never rule it out. I wouldn't trust what the dealer tells you. If it starts, they'll tell you the valves are fine. In 2 hrs of riding, a valve very well could have zero'd out. Not uncommon at all. Pull the big cap on the side of the right side cover. There's a dot on the gear in there. There's a little arrow on the side of the cover that lines up with the dot on the gear. Pull the valve cover and the intake valve lobes on the camshaft should be pointing towards the carb for the most part. There are 2 lines on the cam gear that should be level with the sealing surface of the cylinder head. Once that's where it should be, insert a feeler gauge between the intake lifter bucket and the cam. They should be between .004"-.006". On the exhaust side (front of the engine) insert the feeler gauge between the rocker arm and the top of the valve. They should be between .008"-.011". If they are outside the range, you have a problem. On the exhaust side, if they're off a bit, they usually need adjusting. On the intake side, if they are out of adjustment, it usually means that the valves need replaced. If they're all ok and within specs, we'll have to look at some other things.

thank you everyone especially charlie for the information, too many problems at the track today, i know a bit about the mechanical side of bikes but not enough yet, my bike is now at mornington honda as my dads friend owns it and we trust him alot and is always honest and we know he will do a good job, only took it to freestyle for a quick fix.

Correct me if I'm wrong but even a reshimmed valve can be leakey and cause low compression and hard starting.

Absolutely right.

okay so it just came back from the shop today oils changed oil filter air filter new chain rear sprocket basically everything replaced that needed replacing, and i got the spark plug changed and they checked the valves again, everything is all good now but it is still hard too start, anyone know why that could be? the mechanic at my dads mates shop says we should take it back so they can take the engine apart and find out why but anyone have any recomendations before we do that?

If the valves are right and the compression is good check the carb. How many turns out is the fuel screw? What pilot jet? Don't rape the motor till you check the carb. They did all that to the bike and it still doesn't start? Time to work on it yourself.

okay so it just came back from the shop today oils changed oil filter air filter new chain rear sprocket basically everything replaced that needed replacing, and i got the spark plug changed and they checked the valves again, everything is all good now but it is still hard too start, anyone know why that could be? the mechanic at my dads mates shop says we should take it back so they can take the engine apart and find out why but anyone have any recomendations before we do that?
What kind of technique are you using to start? Its not to say that you dont know how, but these bikes are a little finicky. I have often found on my 09 that what I thought was too much fuel was actually too little on start up. At the temps right now, I always have to use my choke, push it over 3 or 4 times, TDC, hit the throttle 3 or 4 times, then a good, forceful kick all the way through. Not sure of the jetting I have though.

Thanks man, the mechanic checked the carb and everything, but now that im pretty sure the only thing would be the jetting and stuff its probably not jetted to the BB kit, so will most likely take it back to my dads mates shop because i have no clue how to jet it to the bb kit i can figure somethings out for myself but never tried that stuff. It still starts just a hassle sometimes, i think i have the right teqhnique but il try what you said thanks heaps!

Thanks man, the mechanic checked the carb and everything, but now that im pretty sure the only thing would be the jetting and stuff its probably not jetted to the BB kit, so will most likely take it back to my dads mates shop because i have no clue how to jet it to the bb kit i can figure somethings out for myself but never tried that stuff. It still starts just a hassle sometimes, i think i have the right teqhnique but il try what you said thanks heaps!

Are you the first owner of this bike? Did you put the Big Bore kit on it? And you didnt rejet after the BB? Big Bores create alot more vacuum in the carb. You may be a little too rich with your current jetting. Maybe some of the others with big bore kits will chime in and lead you in the correct direction. Make sure you have spark, fuel and that the timing is spot on. Any little thing you can think to tell us will be helpful in getting your bike running. 👍

Are you the first owner of this bike? Did you put the Big Bore kit on it? And you didnt rejet after the BB? Big Bores create alot more vacuum in the carb. You may be a little too rich with your current jetting. Maybe some of the others with big bore kits will chime in and lead you in the correct direction. Make sure you have spark, fuel and that the timing is spot on. Any little thing you can think to tell us will be helpful in getting your bike running. 👍

No im not the first owner, i didnt put the BB kit in but im thinking when it was at the mechanic last they might have changed the jetting. I dont actually know how to check that but thank you heaps :ride:

Did they check spark?

That's step one...

Step two - inspect carb for clogs/petcock for clocks/fuel line for clogs.

If it has good spark and is getting fuel..THEN you start digging into the motor.

They inspected the valve clearences replaced the spark plug and tuned the carby alot of other things but they dont involve the bike starting easy/hard. I dont know if they knew about the BB kit could anyone help on the jetting for an athena 280cc kit?

Just got it back from the mechanic, replaced ALOT of stuff in the engine had to do alot to it. But anyway now the mechanics can start it but i cant do it as easy as them so now it has come to my technique now that everything is fixed, could someone give me some tips on the best way too start it, ive googled stuff but just need some better info?

I own an 07 CRF and I know from experience that they can be temperamental to say the least. The one thing I can say is stay off the gas when starting the bike when it is hot. Put your right hand on the bar pad and get the bike to TDC and pull the hot start and kick her through. Believe me I have been on a steep uphill and spent the better part of 15 minutes to get the bike to fire. Once I figured the technique out I haven't had as much trouble. I did go with the SS valve setup. Good luck ....... Oldskoo11