Sign in to follow this  

First Bottom End Rebuild

Hey all. Kinda new to the scene. Rode much of my life. Decided to take a break (college, marriage, 5 kids). Now, elbows deep in rebuild of a 2004 YZ85. Never done this b4, and may have some novice questions. This bike was owned by someone who couldn't get it started, assumed it was just rings, I paid very little, assuming it was more than that. Found a lot of slap in the connecting rod...ordered top and bottom end wiseco kit. While I'm down there, i've cleaned out the case pieces with a parts washer. What about the gears (transmission components)? Can I clean them similarly, or do I have to use some other method? Just making sure there isn't any gunk, shavings, etc. hiding to cause me grief after the entire job is done. Thanks for any help. Sorry I posted in general for a 2-smoker yamaha, I just thought it to be a very general rebuild sort of question.

you can use spray cleaner to clean everything, or take it out and soak it if you like. Just so you have the order correct on re-assembly :smashpc:.

Certainly you can clean the entire tranny in a parts washer. For the most part there is just a series of plain bearings, roller bearings and gears. Rinse in the parts washer, blow off with shop air and repeat until satisfied with cleanliness. Inspect all pieces for excessive wear or broken parts replace if necessary and know how to put it back together. Have a repair manual (in case any questions arise) on had to put the tranny back together. Have fun!

Thank you much. And as for the shop manual, that was the second purchase after the bike. Has been almost as valuable as the case splitter. Any particular grease recommendations to have on hand for the put together. Assuming I remember where that washer goes and that spring flew off to and how to jam the crank assembly in after i'm finished and forgot to do that... OK, maybe i'm not that bad off, but close. I've been videoing as we go. This is a project for my 7 yr old and me. He finishes his homeschooling so fast, Mom needed something additional for him to do. I figured, why not learn about a small engine? She, amazingly, said great idea, as long as you only work on it together. So far so good and so fun. We felt this would be a lesson in patience and delayed gratification for both of us.

The manual will give a recommendation but I believe any high pressure grease will do, such as wheel bearing grease.

Sounds like a great project for the kid. Mine would only focus long enough until he found something more interesting to do. If I could I would mix in more of the mandatory learning if possible. Think of the possibilities... graduate at 15 or 16 or earlier.