Sign in to follow this  

Sand settings / crf450 10

Hi,

It's sand time in France! bad weather and beach races championship.

I have some problems with my rear shock. I don't know how to set my rebound.

For sand conditions, we need a slower or a faster rebound?

When i ride some big bumps, for exemple in a fast turn, the tail goes left/right and it's difficult to keep the line.

actual shock configuration: 5.2 spring, sag 105mm, lowering linkage.

Thank you for your help.

you want it stiffer and slower on the rear and stiffer on the forks but rebound on forks doesn't need to go slow like in the shock , you could add more sag for about 106mm and make the forks longer by 3mm by dropping them in the clamps

What's your weight? I am thinking this because you have one step softer spring, lowering link and 105 race sag:thinking: I would say your rear end is too soft.

If you are 75-85kg I suggest you to run 54N spring with 102-104mm race sag. Low speed 2-3clicks stiffer, reb 2clicks slower.

You need also 4.7N or 4.8N fork springs. You can also run slower reb if thre are big sand bumbs.

you want it stiffer and slower on the rear and stiffer on the forks but rebound on forks doesn't need to go slow like in the shock , you could add more sag for about 106mm and make the forks longer by 3mm by dropping them in the clamps

Thanks for your advice. I will test that this week end, i think my rebound is too fast. It's so difficult to have a perfect suspension setting for the sand! I will test different sag, I will come back to you.

What's your weight? I am thinking this because you have one step softer spring, lowering link and 105 race sag:thinking: I would say your rear end is too soft.

If you are 75-85kg I suggest you to run 54N spring with 102-104mm race sag. Low speed 2-3clicks stiffer, reb 2clicks slower.

You need also 4.7N or 4.8N fork springs. You can also run slower reb if thre are big sand bumbs.

Thank you Jusa.

I weigh 72kg without gear. Last year, i run a 54n spring and it was too stiff. The shock ejected me to the front, after 2 or 3 big sand bumps. It's possible that it was caused by my fork, which it was too soft. Now, my oil level is higher (350mm of KYB 01) and i added a 3 mm washer. it works better. The spring is a 4.6mm (oem).

It's a good idea to put stiffer fork springs, as i ride a a larger tank (12l)

Kyb europe told me that my spring rate are ok for my weight, but sand conditions are very special.

i will test your settings this week end, and come back to you.

Thanks

Maxime